My First Smoked Turkey on YS640

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beanhall

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 23, 2017
Salina, KS
I decided to do my first smoked turkey on my YS640. The mother-in-law was cooking a traditional turkey so there was not any pressure on me if I made a mistake. I choose to spatchcock the turkey and I will never smoke a turkey a different way.

I started out by brining the turkey for 24hrs. Then took out and washed off. Patted dry and let dry in refrigerator over night. In the morning I injected and rubbed with creole butter.

I set the YS640 to 250° with lumberjack hickory pellets. I also had my AMZPS filled with lumberjack cherry pellets for additional smoke. Placed turkey in smoker and took turkey to 140ish in the breast and then increased the smoker to 400° to crisp up the skin. I pulled the bird at 157ish and let it carry over to 165°.

This turkey was the best turkey I had ever had. It was so moist and juicy. I don't know why I waited so long to try to smoke one.

I would like to thank everyone on SMF for all the wonderful posts. I gathered all of my knowledge on how to handle, brining, spatchcocking and smoking from you guys.

20181122_092313.jpg
20181122_092759.jpg
20181122_092825.jpg
20181122_110353.jpg
20181122_112108.jpg
20181122_123623.jpg

Thanks Scott. Yes it is way easier and more fun.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of turkey either. But cooking it this way makes me one.

Of course I would say I won. :emoji_japanese_ogre:

Reactions: SonnyE
I would too! :emoji_laughing:

I need to do that Spatchcock thing to a chicken, just to try it.
(My wife could eat chicken 8 days a week.)
I do several beer can chickens on my traeger when I am camping at the lake. I think I found the new way I am going to do them.

Reactions: SonnyE
Beautiful color on that bird. Nicely done.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky