Thanksgiving experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KeithLBPI

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 12, 2018
Experimenting with our turkey this year.

Smofried. Love the idea. Tried smoking turkey in the past and compared to fried I just didn't care for it.

13lb or so brining in 3 gallons of water, 1 cup if mustard(wanted dijon but had non left), 3 cups light brown sugar, 1/2cup of sea salt, 1tbsp of cayenne, 1tbsp of Jeff's rub, 1tbsp of celery seed, 1 head of garlic, 1 bunch of thyme and 2 bay leaves. Letting it brine 24hrs.

Planning to pull tomorrow am, put in fridge after injecting with creole butter. Then smoke til around 120IT and deep fry.

Questions I'm still trying to decide, is should I mustard the outside prior to smoking? If so was also thinking lightly out Jeff rub on it.

Lastly is determine how long to fry.

Any thoughts let me know!

Reactions: JLeonard
My go to is a light spray of canola oil followed by the rub. Actually I loosen the skin and apply some rub under it all over first, then spray the outside and apply the rub there as well.

Concerns for the sugar if it's going to be post fried ?
That was my concern as well. I actually took the brine recipe from elsewhere and modified a little. Increase water, Jeff's rub, celery seed etc. Had good reviews for fry so we will see.

Reactions: chopsaw
Birds take on smoke very easily and might be something to be aware of depending on your preference. Didn't see what equipment you will be using. Just an fyi...

Reactions: KeithLBPI
Birds take on smoke very easily and might be something to be aware of depending on your preference. Didn't see what equipment you will be using. Just an fyi...
Thanks. Think that was my previous problem of only smoking it.

Will be using my pitboss lockhart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky