My first Boston Butt (with QVIEW!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbrian

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Hi All,

First off,m thanks to everyone who helped me along with this.  The info here and on my inquiry thread was invaluable in my getting this right!  I did a 10.6 LB Boston Butt which I'd gotten on sale and had frozen. 

Rubbed it with Jeff's rib rub (which I find is GREAT on everything I've tried it with so far!) over yellow mustard.  Rubbed it in pretty good, then threw some extra on "just in case"...

Put it in around 2AM trying to keep it around 220 in my Brinkmann Vertical Charcoal.  Di fine through the night, but early AM started having trouble keeping temp up.  Added a fresh chimney and some hickory and was back in business.  But I find that adding new coal to the unit causes me to lose the ability to keep the temp up.  Not in a recovery way type of thing, but not as long a smoke as when I first get things going with a minion start.  So after nearly running out of coal keeping the temps up.  I moved it into the oven after about a 9-1/2 smoke.  Kept it at 250.  I foiled at 160. back in the oven until it hit 170 (don't know why I did this), then doubled the foil and toweled it and into a room temp cooler for 2.5 hours.

Man it was yummy!  My wife is starting to really love my new hobby.

Here's the QView (And I'll try to post a "QMOVIE" too!)

0d99c255_IMG-20110113-00211.jpg

2066ac84_IMG-20110114-00213.jpg

dac9bf61_IMG-20110114-00215.jpg

85368d3f_IMG-20110114-00216.jpg

ff3ad9ee_IMG-20110114-00217.jpg

I'll post the video as soon as it gets uploaded to Vimeo...

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now your butt looks awesome and I know it tasted good specially with Jeff's rub. So where are you I know a Brian Murphey in Jax's. 

looks great........ nice ring and a video with the Q. even better

Last edited:
Not me, I'm in Virginia Beach.

Brian Murphy is kind of like the Irish John Smith...

Later,

B.

170 huh? Never tried that temp? I take it you sliced it.

Yeah, sliced it.  It was amazing.  It both sliced and fell apart.  the best of both worlds!

Man, had it as pulled pork this afternoon.  I could do it again for dinner tonight (and I might!)

B.

Looks really good. I have always pulled the pork. Next time I might try slicing it. The video was a nice touch.  
beercheer.gif

Looks real good Brian!

I never sliced one either---Might have to try it.

How tender was it at 170˚?---Nearly fall apart?

Nice little video too!

Thanks,

Bear

Looks real good Brian!

Nice little video too!

Thanks,

Bear
It was wonderfully tender.  The ends of it was nearly fall apart like PP would be.  as I moved in it was a tad firmer, but butter knife tender, to be sure.

Looks real good Brian!

Nice little video too!

Thanks,

Bear
It was wonderfully tender.  The ends of it was nearly fall apart like PP would be.  as I moved in it was a tad firmer, but butter knife tender, to be sure.
HMMMmmmm,

Wheels turning in Bear's head........

Thanks for the info,

Bear

When I first started smoking in November, I checked my digital in boiling water and it was only off by 2 degrees. So, might be different tastes at play, too...
Later,
Brian

When I first started smoking in November, I checked my digital in boiling water and it was only off by 2 degrees. So, might be different tastes at play, too...
Later,
Brian
try it in ice water..........don't know what yer elevation is but water boils at different temps at different elevations.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky