My 2nd ( really first ) Porkstrami , and I must say Glad I did it twice, Only took a little over a month to do.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
DRKs, Nice job on your "porkstrami", another rabbit hole for me to head down. :)

Thanks Dave for the like and the comment

It did turn out very good, I could not stop picking at it.

And I know what you mean about the rabbit hole , very easy to get caught up in other posts that are on here. That is how a lot of my threads started.

David

Oh Wow. Looks so so good. Goin on the list for sure. Great Post. Totally deserves a ride on the Wheel!!!!!!!

Thanks Hush for the comments

It is well worth the time put in to try this, it is wonderful. And thank you about the carousal ride , always an honour

And what a great bro in law. Beautiful trout!!!

Yes they were some very nice trout, wish I had caught them . But would not say no to him for giving them to Mona
They were fantastic steamed in the foil on the Q, ( as that is how I was told they wanted them )
But I still love them fried in the CI pan , even though they would not have fit in mine lol

David

My 2nd ( really first ) Porkstrami , and I must say Glad I did it twice. Only took little over a month. lol

Calling it my second as the first batch went out with the dead fridge, so here is my how I did it.

Thanks given to Wayne thirdeye thirdeye for his process as I followed it pretty close , and to others who I have been reading on their how to's also.
and of coarse Pop for his brine.

3 Pork loins total of 6.152 pounds. Into a gal of Pop's brine with some toasted pickling spice .
Toasted 1/3 cup of pickling spice , added 1/2 of the water and simmered for half hour until all the spice and sugar and salt were dissolved.
added the rest of the water and let that cool in fridge for the night. Next day added the cure #1. Added the 3 loins and into the fridge for 14 days - that turned into 17 as very busy with everything going on trying to get all our ducks in a row with the new property on ( May 21st )

View attachment 696976 View attachment 696977

After the long soak and the stir everyday ( plus keeping an eye on the new fridge ) pull out and rinse off and pat dry.
Gather up all the spices for the Porkstrami rub, and coarse grind the whole seeds and bay leaf pieces, mix and coat
the loins well and into the fridge for 1 night ( turned into 2 nights of coarse )

View attachment 696978 View attachment 696979

View attachment 696980 View attachment 696981 View attachment 696982
View attachment 696983
View attachment 696984

Off to the smoker set at 230+/- deg. with cherry chunks. 2 took 3 3/4 hours to reach 146* IT and the bigger one took 4 1/2 hours

Brought into the house for a nice Steam bath in a pot with 2 litres of beef broth ( thought I had veggy broth , beef will do. )
Probed tender and temp was 200*.
THE HOUSE SMELLED WONDERFUL, :emoji_yum::emoji_yum::emoji_sunglasses:

View attachment 696985 View attachment 696986 View attachment 696987

View attachment 696988

Of coarse I had to cut one and sample ....which turned into a few slices. :emoji_wink:

View attachment 696989 View attachment 696990

View attachment 696991

View attachment 696992

This is just wonderful, tender and very tasty. Someone told me SHE found it too peppery for her , but her mom loved it . LOL :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:

Let cool for about an hour , then wrapped and into the fridge for the night to meet the slicer tomorrow.

Gave an almost 1 pound piece to my buddy at the contractors desk at the building supply store , as he gives me good pricing on everything he can. God love him. :emoji_sunglasses:

Last night i pulled out the slicer and vac machine and went to work, slicing picking at it and bagging it up.

AND i caught my loving wife who said it is too hot/peppery sneaking not 1 but 2 slices, go figure. Love her. :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink:

View attachment 696993 View attachment 696994

View attachment 696995 View attachment 696996
Made 11 - 4 oz. packs not counting what I gave away and snacked on.
I am very happy with this batch of Porkstrami. I will do this again before the freezer stock runs out. I did notice Mona's sister grabbed a couple packs after she had a few slices. Thats what it is all about. Happy folks.

And speaking of Happy here is my breakfast today

A nice Cheese and onion bun with 4+ oz of fresh steamed ( in the microwave with few drops of water in a zip bag not closed ) Porkstrami
with a big spoonful of some Honey & Tarragon mustard, ( I have to make some more of my Mustard seed Caviar )

Nice hot wake me up breakfast. This was so moist and tender, and the flavour out of this world good.

View attachment 696997

View attachment 696998

well folks that is a wrap , and I know it was very long , but I have not posted for a while . so thought I would bore the crap out of you , LOL

If you are not sure about using Pork loin for this , I can tell you . It is well worth it . Next time going to do a shoulder I hope.

Have a good long weekend everyone

David
Damn! That is a sandwich, nice work!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Hey David, Did you happen to sample any of your porkstramied pork loins before you did the steam finishing step? Or do you recall the degree tenderness when you were taking internal temperatures when the loins were approaching the 146° internal?

I'm thinking of using a modified version of my corning brine on some pork chops, then grilling them with a peppery rub.

Hey David, Did you happen to sample any of your porkstramied pork loins before you did the steam finishing step? Or do you recall the degree tenderness when you were taking internal temperatures when the loins were approaching the 146° internal?

I'm thinking of using a modified version of my corning brine on some pork chops, then grilling them with a peppery rub.

Hi Wayne, I did not sample the loins before the steam, but yes I do remember the probe went in very well. I just wanted to do the steam to give it that pastrami fall apart kind of texture. But I think while mine is very tender and great flavour. I think I need a little more fat kind of texture.
Don't get me wrong I will still do it this way again.

I just want to try a shoulder or butt to see the difference.

As for your pork chops, that sounds like a good plan. I can't see why that would not be a great taste.
How long do you think they will need to be in the brine/corning to pick up a good flavour. Would you need cure ??

David

As for your pork chops, that sounds like a good plan. I can't see why that would not be a great taste.
How long do you think they will need to be in the brine/corning to pick up a good flavour. Would you need cure ??
I'm thinking at least 4 or 5 days in the corning brine because these chops are only about 1/2" thick. I want the cure for the color and texture, and of course the 'corned' flavor from the pickling spice, pepper, coriander and garlic. I'll be sure and post the results.

PS - I've had good luck using a Buckboard style cure on pork chops, they come out like the smoked chops or ham steaks from specialty butcher shops, but a fraction of the cost.

Well, maybe something else in the 'ol pork chop bag-o-tricks 🤣.
PS - I've had good luck using a Buckboard style cure on pork chops, they come out like the smoked chops or ham steaks from specialty butcher shops, but a fraction of the cost.
Here are what the Buckboard style of chops looks like. My Granny would use a recipe from the Morton's Handbook for "Gepockelte" and Tender Quick for a few hours. So, I'm looking for this color and texture, but with a pastrami flavor.
HG4ZNvI.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic David! Never gonna get that to do list shortened with you guys posting stuff like this.

Ryan

Now that I've made a few hams, I should look into tackling some pastrami. Actually have a place here in town that sells brisket to boot. Would just have to see if they have a smaller one.

I'm thinking at least 4 or 5 days in the corning brine because these chops are only about 1/2" thick. I want the cure for the color and texture, and of course the 'corned' flavor from the pickling spice, pepper, coriander and garlic. I'll be sure and post the results.

Good to know Wayne , and I look forward to your Corned chops on the Q.

David

EDIT : meant to sent this yesterday , forgot you also have to hit the post reply key, lol

Well, maybe something else in the 'ol pork chop bag-o-tricks 🤣.

Here are what the Buckboard style of chops looks like. My Granny would use a recipe from the Morton's Handbook for "Gepockelte" and Tender Quick for a few hours. So, I'm looking for this color and texture, but with a pastrami flavor.
View attachment 697449

Wow Wayne what great colour on that chop. That is just down right gorgeous.

That with the strami flavour , sign me up.

David

Reactions: thirdeye
Fantastic David! Never gonna get that to do list shortened with you guys posting stuff like this.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the comment

It was and is very nice , and I have some left in the freezer. For a few more meals. Better start more soon though.

I hear you on the list, I do one , but add 2 more when I see what everyone is doing.

David

Now that I've made a few hams, I should look into tackling some pastrami. Actually have a place here in town that sells brisket to boot. Would just have to see if they have a smaller one.

You should give it a whirl :emoji_cloud_tornado: :emoji_cloud_tornado: , as easy as hams, just different flavour profiles , and the rewards .
If you like pastrami as much as I love pastrami its a win win.

And this Porkstrami is great also.

David

Reactions: nlife
My 2nd ( really first ) Porkstrami , and I must say Glad I did it twice. Only took little over a month. lol

Calling it my second as the first batch went out with the dead fridge, so here is my how I did it.

Thanks given to Wayne thirdeye thirdeye for his process as I followed it pretty close , and to others who I have been reading on their how to's also.
and of coarse Pop for his brine.

3 Pork loins total of 6.152 pounds. Into a gal of Pop's brine with some toasted pickling spice .
Toasted 1/3 cup of pickling spice , added 1/2 of the water and simmered for half hour until all the spice and sugar and salt were dissolved.
added the rest of the water and let that cool in fridge for the night. Next day added the cure #1. Added the 3 loins and into the fridge for 14 days - that turned into 17 as very busy with everything going on trying to get all our ducks in a row with the new property on ( May 21st )

View attachment 696976 View attachment 696977

After the long soak and the stir everyday ( plus keeping an eye on the new fridge ) pull out and rinse off and pat dry.
Gather up all the spices for the Porkstrami rub, and coarse grind the whole seeds and bay leaf pieces, mix and coat
the loins well and into the fridge for 1 night ( turned into 2 nights of coarse )

View attachment 696978 View attachment 696979

View attachment 696980 View attachment 696981 View attachment 696982
View attachment 696983
View attachment 696984

Off to the smoker set at 230+/- deg. with cherry chunks. 2 took 3 3/4 hours to reach 146* IT and the bigger one took 4 1/2 hours

Brought into the house for a nice Steam bath in a pot with 2 litres of beef broth ( thought I had veggy broth , beef will do. )
Probed tender and temp was 200*.
THE HOUSE SMELLED WONDERFUL, :emoji_yum::emoji_yum::emoji_sunglasses:

View attachment 696985 View attachment 696986 View attachment 696987

View attachment 696988

Of coarse I had to cut one and sample ....which turned into a few slices. :emoji_wink:

View attachment 696989 View attachment 696990

View attachment 696991

View attachment 696992

This is just wonderful, tender and very tasty. Someone told me SHE found it too peppery for her , but her mom loved it . LOL :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:

Let cool for about an hour , then wrapped and into the fridge for the night to meet the slicer tomorrow.

Gave an almost 1 pound piece to my buddy at the contractors desk at the building supply store , as he gives me good pricing on everything he can. God love him. :emoji_sunglasses:

Last night i pulled out the slicer and vac machine and went to work, slicing picking at it and bagging it up.

AND i caught my loving wife who said it is too hot/peppery sneaking not 1 but 2 slices, go figure. Love her. :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink:

View attachment 696993 View attachment 696994

View attachment 696995 View attachment 696996
Made 11 - 4 oz. packs not counting what I gave away and snacked on.
I am very happy with this batch of Porkstrami. I will do this again before the freezer stock runs out. I did notice Mona's sister grabbed a couple packs after she had a few slices. Thats what it is all about. Happy folks.

And speaking of Happy here is my breakfast today

A nice Cheese and onion bun with 4+ oz of fresh steamed ( in the microwave with few drops of water in a zip bag not closed ) Porkstrami
with a big spoonful of some Honey & Tarragon mustard, ( I have to make some more of my Mustard seed Caviar )

Nice hot wake me up breakfast. This was so moist and tender, and the flavour out of this world good.

View attachment 696997

View attachment 696998

well folks that is a wrap , and I know it was very long , but I have not posted for a while . so thought I would bore the crap out of you , LOL

If you are not sure about using Pork loin for this , I can tell you . It is well worth it . Next time going to do a shoulder I hope.

Have a good long weekend everyone

David
Looks great brother

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky