More Blamestorming: Chile Made Me do It--Smoked Braised Pork Belly (W / Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Several years ago when I was forced to sit through these insufferable managerial staff meetings and hour after hour listening to every manager on staff blaming every other manager for their departmental deficiencies, I dubbed that "blamestorming". Well, it appears that this has become a trend in the forum. The difference is that here in SMF, it's all in good fun. I blamed Steve for my latest addiction of creating different brines and brining all sorts of yummy stuff. I got blamed for Ricky's recent affinity for curing and dry aging all sorts of amazing culinary delicacies (as well as a bunch of other stuff he's doing). Sowsage blamed Chopsaw for the sliders...and there are probably a bunch more that I've missed :emoji_laughing: In an effort to keep the trend going, I feel compelled to blame Chilerelleno for this one....and I cannot thank him enough for it!! Following his thread documenting his smoked and braised pork belly, I knew I had to give it a run and did so yesterday, and boy am I glad I did.

11# belly cut in half
048.jpg

Rub applied generously
049.jpg

Into a vac seal bag, but only sealed. Did not vacuum. Let it rest overnight
050.jpg

Onto the smoker the next morning. This is about 2 hours in running hickory at 325*
001.jpg

At the 4 hour mark, it's developing the bark and crusting up. Pulled and into the house to add glaze
002.jpg

Glazed and ready to go on the grill at 300*. Covered the baking pan with a cookie sheet while cooking. Lit the right and left burners, set on low, and placed the belly on the top rack in the middle
003.jpg

Made a batch of fresh slaw in the mean time
010.jpg

Did the fork tenderness test at 2 1/2 hours on the grill and it passed with flying colors but earlier than we wanted to eat. Turned off right burner and moved the pan down to the main rack on the right hand side to keep warm. It's all done!!
012.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve. Not my prettiest presentation but it will get the point across.
013.jpg

Money shot!! Meat lightly brushed with a bit of the glaze, the slaw, a cucumber spear that's been in my brine for a couple weeks, and a cauliflower floret that's been in Steve's spicy brine also for a couple weeks
015.jpg

This was without doubt the absolute best pork I've ever eaten!! So moist, so tender, so succulent and flavorful. Literally, it was melt-in-your-mouth tender. Most importantly, Tracy loved this as much or possibly more than I did. What's odd though is that we aren't typically big fans of sauces or glazes but we both felt that the glaze was what set this so far over the top. She just kept saying "this glaze is awesome!!". It's a recipe i put together 6 or 8 months ago and has become a mainstay. I've used it on ribs a few times but mostly our friends love it so I make it for them. In all honesty though, I let the glaze reduce a bit too much and it was too thick...more like BBQ sauce. I hoped it'd thin down on the grill but it did not. Took the pan inside after an hour and gently scraped the glaze off the top of the meat and into the pan. Then added a bit more vinegar and some water to thin it down, then back onto the grill. Chile...once again sir I cannot thank you enough for sharing your processes with us. The meal you did had tremendous merit but you were candid, objective, and honest about where improvement was needed. By sharing that information, you took a lot of the guess work out of it for the rest of us and set us up for success. I bow graciously and humbly at your feet sir :emoji_wink: You are without doubt a culinary master and when I grow up, I wanna be just like you :emoji_blush: today is gonna be a gorgeous spit roasted eye Round roast with all the sides. Be on the lookout for another post tomorrow if it comes out as well as I'm hoping it does.

Not likely I'll ever grow up,
Robert

Looks like a mighty tasty plate of food.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! And I was just getting ready to blame Chilerelleno for the stuffed peppers he posted. Guess what I'm picking up today?!

Hell yeah!
That looks great, much better looking than mine, great cook.
Gotta love a good pork belly.
Like!

Yeah Steve is a really bad influence when it comes to pickling.

Haha! Look who's talking! I have close to 10 of your threads saved with things I need to try thanks to you! Speaking of which. What is in your spicy bacon that you are using for the ABT's?

Haha! Look who's talking! I have close to 10 of your threads saved with things I need to try thanks to you! Speaking of which. What is in your spicy bacon that you are using for the ABT's?
LOL, first world problems.
I updated the thread/ABTs with ingredients and methods.
To quote the old Ragu commercials, " It's in there!"

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky