Mexican and a tomato basil fatties

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by richinct, Sep 2, 2010.

1. richinct

richinct Fire Starter

I decided to do a couple of fatties while my pork butt was cooking, I hate running the smoker with an empty rack.  I learned a lot after my first attempt. When I did the first one I didn't know about the plastic bag trick, that works like a charm.

One fattie was basic, 1 lb  Italian sausage (half hot/half sweet) I would do all hot but my wife will not eat it. Stuffed it with tomato, basil, green pepper, mozz cheese. I used dry basil, I was going to use fresh but they wanted $3 for a small bunch, that is what I paid for the pound of sausage! Note to self: Plant an herb garden next year, especially basil.

For the second fattie I decided to experiment and get creative, worst that could happen is the dog eats good for a few days [​IMG]   I started with 1lb ground beef. I cooked up a packet of taco seasoning slightly less water than called for, I simmered it down to reduce the liquid, chilled it and added it to the meat. The seasoning mixture still made the meat a little wet so I crumbled a handful of tortilla chips into it. For the stuffing I started with a layer of tortilla chips added some Mexican blend cheese, chopped green onions, chopped black olives, green pepper, salsa, and another layer of chips. Next time I will add more salsa. It came out good even though I over cooked it a little.

Unfortunately my wife HATES! anything hot, I would have put jalopenos in the Mexican-Taco fattie. I think I will have to start making them 1/2 hot and 1/2 mild then we can slice it from both ends.

[​IMG]

We love tacos, I make them a lot. I have tried most of the seasonings out there and this is the best one I have found, it is dark and has a great flavor. It is a little hard to find, I get it at a store called Ocean State Job Lot. I stock up on it. If you use taco seasoning keep an eye out for it.

[​IMG]

The meat rolled out with the tortilla chips, the meat is dark colored from the taco seasoning.

[​IMG]

Added cheese, onion, olives, salsa, I put another layer of chips on top of that

[​IMG]

Ready to go in the smoker, I used a pan with holes in it to drain. I had to use conventional therms, my digital was tied up with the pork butt. I know, I was a little stingy with the bacon.

[​IMG]

Big mistake putting them both in the same pan, the Mexican fattie hit 170 first, it would have been too messy to try and take one out so it got a little over cooked while the other fattie got up to temp. As you can see I had a major blowout on the sausage fattie but the cheese that leaked out is delicious, smokey flavor with a little crisp edge.

[​IMG]

Sliced and ready to eat, Mexican-Taco is on the left, definately a winner, I need to fine tune it.The tomato basil was good too, think I could have added a little more basil.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Mam oh Man your fatties look great and I bet they tasted like it too. Great Job and did you finish the butt yet??

3. richinct

richinct Fire Starter