Max smoke for small quantities

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geoffchef

Fire Starter
Original poster
I have a basic Bradley smoker and frequently use it to do just a couple of pork chops or a tenderloin for the wife and myself. My question is, where should I position the rack in the box to get maximum smoke penetration, or does it matter?

TIA

I am not sure it rally matters as the smoke when it fills the chamber sort of bathes the meat.  However, if you feel like experimenting, you might try choking the draft/air flow a little by placing a sheet of aluminum foil on a rack above the meat. This will delay the smoke from rapidly rising and venting out and my concentrate the flavor. But it might also prevent the puck from burning/smoldering by restricting air and thus combustion.  Worth a try.

I suspect you're right and it will make very little difference. And then there is the question of whether my taste buds are capable of discerning a difference. I have a feeling that it should be smokiest near the top, where it hits the roof of the box and swirls around a bit before finding the exit vent. What we need is a good techno geek with heat resistant cameras.

One day I got anal when doing my very first brisket.  Not wanting to open the smoker, I got out my inspection snake.  I have had this for a few years and it allowed me to look into the smoker. The view initially was rather murky because of the smoke but I was able to view the progress on several occasions throughout the smoke.  This camera is not heat proof but it suffered no damage for the half minute or so of being in the smoker.   You might want to give it a try.  And it has a lot of uses around the house.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Micro-CA25-Inspection-Camera-40043/203258908

I used to be employed doing home energy efficiency evaluations for a government grant program, now defunct; one of those things would have come in handy many times. It would be hard to justify now - sounds like an expensive bit of kit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky