Lookin for fajita meat recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Sup all,

I needed to pick up some turkey for turkey day so ended up going with the wildfork. Yes, even after the price question. I get that they show max price and adjust from there makes sense. So I got a yearly membership to avoid future shipping charges. I was wondering for tacos and fajitas is it skirt steak?

BTW SOOOOOOO much good meat there lol I think I will get some angus plate ribs after turkey day. Last beef plate ribs I did was right when when i got my bbq 4 years ago with some american wagyu and I messed that cook up by not cooking it enough and not knowing my grill :<(

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
I think i' am gonna try some skirt on the MBGF I haven't done skirt before. i ordered some prime plate ribs too lol

Hijack73

Meat Mopper
Aug 9, 2020
Denver cut for me. Sirloin cap is also near perfect but that became this "exotic cut" and is now known as picanha a few years ago and now costs more than ribeye.

Reactions: negolien

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
I would choose skirt or flank steak as being best cut for fajita. But I prefer to eat them steak-style. So for fajitas I usually use top round steak or sirloin tip.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Skirt steak is the original meat, and I learned that from the owners of a fantastic local Mexican restaurant in South Texas. They actually gave me their recipe verbally because I ate fajitas there so often. At the time, skirt steak was considered junk meat. I could buy it on sale for 69 cents/lb. Wow. That's no longer the case. I rarely see it less than $10/lb, and it is usually in the $12-$15/lb range.

I find flank steak a little too chewy and lean.

Tri tip is what I use nowadays.

Retired Spook

Smoking Fanatic
Jun 28, 2022
Somewhere in Texas
Most of the Mexican grocery stores around here in central Texas sell marinated skirt steaks that are usually awesome - never seen that prior to moving here. Either grilled quick over very hot coals or seared in a pan it is damned fine fajita meat!

fxsales1959

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Sup all,

I needed to pick up some turkey for turkey day so ended up going with the wildfork. Yes, even after the price question. I get that they show max price and adjust from there makes sense. So I got a yearly membership to avoid future shipping charges. I was wondering for tacos and fajitas is it skirt steak?

BTW SOOOOOOO much good meat there lol I think I will get some angus plate ribs after turkey day. Last beef plate ribs I did was right when when i got my bbq 4 years ago with some american wagyu and I messed that cook up by not cooking it enough and not knowing my grill :<(
We typically use up what's left from another cook. I just got a prime Picanha which will be too much for two of us for a meal. remnants will be trimmed and used for primo fajitas. other wise flank, or what mama can buy thin cut at pube-lix IMG-3141.jpg

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Reactions: SmokyMose

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I'm down to trying to hold on to my last 22, product of a misspent youth. Think of getting a jaccard, they make many tough cut chewable.

Same here. I don't want to expand on the partial I already have.
I gave up jerky and "bark" long ago. A Jaccard not only tenderizes, but it lets a marinade get into the meat more...
Get one!

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I maybe the one off here, I do like flank for tacos and such but for fajitas I much prefer NY strip..... It isn't chewy if too far under......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads