Throwdown Entry 2 - 2+ pound Turkey Dinner Rolls and loaded Mashed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada

First thank you everyone for looking at my entry and voting for the ones you liked .

The contest was for leftovers from your Thanksgiving meal. Well ours was a few weeks before all of yours , so what a shame we had to have another meal and celabrate along with you folks to my south.

Had the regular fare, turkey , potatoes carrots and all the trimmings.

I borrowed most of the 2 breasts and some of the big pot of stuffing that was left over.
Leftover potatoes and added all the loaded parts ingredients and topped with cheddar

As you see I kept the code word handy in most pictures so I did not forget it ( been there done that )

DSC_8866.JPG

DSC_8871.JPG

Sliced the turkey and laid it out on the plastic wrap, layer of stuffing, ( MIL likes canned crans ) green onions and jelly cranberry.
Rolled them up ( that was fun , not ) and into fridge for 24 hours

DSC_8883.JPG DSC_8885.JPG

DSC_8886.JPG

DSC_8887.JPG

DSC_8888.JPG

Pulled out the cold mashed and added all the parts and mixed well with an egg also and a little cheese, topped with the rest of the cheese

DSC_8890.JPG DSC_8892.JPG

Pulled the rolls out , made up the bacon weave and rolled them up. Onto the smoker

It was a cold day here at -7 C , by late afternoon it was +2, but no wind so nice.
Smoked with Cherry and Hickory chips approx. 1 1/2 hours ( had to tooth pick the edges of the bacon as it wanted to curl. )

DSC_8896.JPG

DSC_8899.JPG

DSC_8900.JPG

Made the gravy from the turkey pan gell as it is on the stove incase I needed more flavour.

DSC_8901.JPG

Was a good meal even better then the original turkey supper.

Here is the entry picture

DSC_8912.JPG

Here is my plate

DSC_8920.JPG

Here it is the next day for supper again, Much easier to slice after a chill in the fridge.

DSC_8921.JPG

DSC_8922.JPG

Thanks for looking and again thank you to all involved in the work behind the scenes and in the for front.
All the folks that entered and voted. And thought my meal was worthy of a few votes.

And the Throwdown committee, Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 , and Robert tx smoker tx smoker and Jeff TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for the place to hold this . Thanks guys

David

David

Nice tight weave on that bacon David. The whole meal looks fantastic, and congrats on the win.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Dang you win just for being able to roll the turkey filling as well as you did. And then again for the bacon weave!
As always with you.....Its a great looking meal. And I'd been happy to sit down to the leftover TD and then the leftover leftovers the next day!

Jim

Well done Sir! I agree with Chris and Jim on that bacon weave (you could teach a master class on that alone)! A very fine leftover celebration creation for the win! I expect to see some post pics for that table top headed your way...wink wink!

Nice tight weave on that bacon David. The whole meal looks fantastic, and congrats on the win.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Not bad on the weave , i learned it from some fellow on here ..... thanks lol
It was a very nice meal and I like a rolled meal , always well most times looks really good on a plate.

Thanks on the win, it was a tough crowd again, glad some folks though mine was worthy of some votes.

David

Reactions: gmc2003
Dang you win just for being able to roll the turkey filling as well as you did. And then again for the bacon weave!
As always with you.....Its a great looking meal. And I'd been happy to sit down to the leftover TD and then the leftover leftovers the next day!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

Ha ha , it was a tough roll, if I remember right the first one was a struggle and I had to rebuild it , the second one was a little easier.

And everything looks nice in a bacon weave. And thanks it was a great 3 times meals for sure, from the extra Thanksgiving meal to the throwdown entry meal . And like you said the leftover , leftovers :emoji_yum: :emoji_laughing:

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Well done Sir! I agree with Chris and Jim on that bacon weave (you could teach a master class on that alone)! A very fine leftover celebration creation for the win! I expect to see some post pics for that table top headed your way...wink wink!

Thanks Civil for the like and the comment

I do a nice weave only because I studied Chris's gmc2003 gmc2003 3 part step by step on how to do them.
Thanks about the win. and of coarse I will be posting when II receive the item.
And also expect to see some cool posts from your extra load of meats :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:

David

Amazing! Between cooks like this, civilsmoker civilsmoker 's, and S Smoke-Chem BBQ 's, they prove to me that I'm definitely in a different league...😉

Thank you Charles for the like and the comment

But I beg to differ. You sir have posted many great smokes/cooks. Do not sell yourself short.
You are just as capable as the rest of us. But thank you for saying so.

David

But I beg to differ. You sir have posted many great smokes/cooks. Do not sell yourself short.
I appreciate the vote of confidence David, but there is a big difference between cooking for my crowd and cooking something that would even be remotely competitive in the throwdowns...

That was an excellent looking meal David! I would never had gotten it rolled up... I can't even roll a burrito, my wife does it... I always have too much filling for some reason lol!

PS... that's what happens when you use the phone, was gonna respond earlier but got a call and a squirrel moment!

Ryan

• Haha
That was an excellent looking meal David! I would never had gotten it rolled up... I can't even roll a burrito, my wife does it... I always have too much filling for some reason lol!

PS... that's what happens when you use the phone, was gonna respond earlier but got a call and a squirrel moment!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the comment, you know me, I don't get bent out of shape about stuff like that. And I have had many of squirrel moments .

The rolling was fun the first try fell apart , so started again and the second one was even easier. There was a lot in them being over 2 pounds each.

Fun to build and funner to eat lol

David

First thank you everyone for looking at my entry and voting for the ones you liked .

The contest was for leftovers from your Thanksgiving meal. Well ours was a few weeks before all of yours , so what a shame we had to have another meal and celabrate along with you folks to my south.

Had the regular fare, turkey , potatoes carrots and all the trimmings.

I borrowed most of the 2 breasts and some of the big pot of stuffing that was left over.
Leftover potatoes and added all the loaded parts ingredients and topped with cheddar

As you see I kept the code word handy in most pictures so I did not forget it ( been there done that )

View attachment 683843

View attachment 683844

Sliced the turkey and laid it out on the plastic wrap, layer of stuffing, ( MIL likes canned crans ) green onions and jelly cranberry.
Rolled them up ( that was fun , not ) and into fridge for 24 hours

View attachment 683845 View attachment 683846

View attachment 683847
View attachment 683848

View attachment 683849

Pulled out the cold mashed and added all the parts and mixed well with an egg also and a little cheese, topped with the rest of the cheese

View attachment 683850 View attachment 683851

Pulled the rolls out , made up the bacon weave and rolled them up. Onto the smoker

It was a cold day here at -7 C , by late afternoon it was +2, but no wind so nice.
Smoked with Cherry and Hickory chips approx. 1 1/2 hours ( had to tooth pick the edges of the bacon as it wanted to curl. )

View attachment 683852

View attachment 683853
View attachment 683854
Made the gravy from the turkey pan gell as it is on the stove incase I needed more flavour.

View attachment 683855

Was a good meal even better then the original turkey supper.

Here is the entry picture

View attachment 683842

Here is my plate

View attachment 683856

Here it is the next day for supper again, Much easier to slice after a chill in the fridge.

View attachment 683857
View attachment 683858

Thanks for looking and again thank you to all involved in the work behind the scenes and in the for front.
All the folks that entered and voted. And thought my meal was worthy of a few votes.

And the Throwdown committee, Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 , and Robert tx smoker tx smoker and Jeff TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for the place to hold this . Thanks guys

David

David
David,
That is a dang good looking plate!

Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky