Lookin for fajita meat recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Sup all,

I needed to pick up some turkey for turkey day so ended up going with the wildfork. Yes, even after the price question. I get that they show max price and adjust from there makes sense. So I got a yearly membership to avoid future shipping charges. I was wondering for tacos and fajitas is it skirt steak?

BTW SOOOOOOO much good meat there lol I think I will get some angus plate ribs after turkey day. Last beef plate ribs I did was right when when i got my bbq 4 years ago with some american wagyu and I messed that cook up by not cooking it enough and not knowing my grill :<(

I think i' am gonna try some skirt on the MBGF I haven't done skirt before. i ordered some prime plate ribs too lol

I would choose skirt or flank steak as being best cut for fajita. But I prefer to eat them steak-style. So for fajitas I usually use top round steak or sirloin tip.

Reactions: negolien
Skirt steak is the original meat, and I learned that from the owners of a fantastic local Mexican restaurant in South Texas. They actually gave me their recipe verbally because I ate fajitas there so often. At the time, skirt steak was considered junk meat. I could buy it on sale for 69 cents/lb. Wow. That's no longer the case. I rarely see it less than $10/lb, and it is usually in the $12-$15/lb range.

I find flank steak a little too chewy and lean.

Tri tip is what I use nowadays.

Most of the Mexican grocery stores around here in central Texas sell marinated skirt steaks that are usually awesome - never seen that prior to moving here. Either grilled quick over very hot coals or seared in a pan it is damned fine fajita meat!

Sup all,

I needed to pick up some turkey for turkey day so ended up going with the wildfork. Yes, even after the price question. I get that they show max price and adjust from there makes sense. So I got a yearly membership to avoid future shipping charges. I was wondering for tacos and fajitas is it skirt steak?

BTW SOOOOOOO much good meat there lol I think I will get some angus plate ribs after turkey day. Last beef plate ribs I did was right when when i got my bbq 4 years ago with some american wagyu and I messed that cook up by not cooking it enough and not knowing my grill :<(
We typically use up what's left from another cook. I just got a prime Picanha which will be too much for two of us for a meal. remnants will be trimmed and used for primo fajitas. other wise flank, or what mama can buy thin cut at pube-lix IMG-3141.jpg

I'm down to trying to hold on to my last 22, product of a misspent youth. Think of getting a jaccard, they make many tough cut chewable.

Same here. I don't want to expand on the partial I already have.
I gave up jerky and "bark" long ago. A Jaccard not only tenderizes, but it lets a marinade get into the meat more...
Get one!

I maybe the one off here, I do like flank for tacos and such but for fajitas I much prefer NY strip..... It isn't chewy if too far under......

Last edited:
Skirt is so G D#$%ed expensive down here, we often sub flap meat and marinate overnight,
Everything is expensive everywhere - the shareholders have to get their cut of what is in your wallet. It's a human flaw that bankers have used to sickeningly enrich themselves regardless of the impact on the Country they live in...

Sup all,

I would definitely say flank steak for things like fajitas/ more mexican dishes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky