Lil butt for new boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larrym

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Halfway up mountain in Tn
Dont yell at me,, its been ages since I have been on site.  Things are so busy at work and rl, its hard to get on and check emails, let alone get here and say hi.   I have not forgotten you and all the help you gave to get me too where I do not feel shy about posting :)  I have a new boss and this thread is for his prezzie today, if it finishes :)  I gave him link to site,, he may be lurking in the background somewhere,, he did tell me that after visiting site,, he picked up a lil Mez digital.  Still have too turn him on to the AMNPS and a good thermometer but I will convince him eventually.

I took today off so that I can cook up my special,, slow cooked, pulled pork butt.  Have (2) 8#'s, brined, rubbed and in smoker.  Sitting here now waiting for stall to get over,, supposed to be taking it into work in an hour but doubt it will be at right IT, let alone a rest period, stuck at 172f for last 3 hours.  Gonna throw in my brine -rub info and a couple pics.  Thanks to all of you for tips n help.  I should also say that 2 weeks ago,, had a family reunion for father n laws side.  12 brothers n sisters, in their 80's and low 90's, all the kids n grandkids,, the majority opinion was that it was the best pp that they had ever had,, I think though that it was just fresher as I pulled right at table while they were filling their plates :)  A big thank you to all, a big hi and welcome to all those new smokers that I havent met yet.

Brine:

1 gal water with 1.5 cups kosher salt.

1 quart of fresh pulped apple juice ( I reduced by half on stove to concentrate flavor)

1 cup of dark molasses

1 fresh lemon, halved n juiced.  Lemon halves then tossed back into brine.

1 small finely chopped chili pepper (fresh from garden)

Poured half into holding dish, then put in butts, then rest of brine.  Guess I am kinda weird but I think if you put pork butt straight into a container,, the  weight and fat sticks to the bottom of container and prevents the bottom from getting a good soak :)  Lemon halves are sitting underneath the butts,, hoping the weight will squeeze out more flavor :)

Now the rub.

1.5 cups of Splenda (mild sweetness and doesnt melt as fast as brown sugar)

1 cup of Paprika (this gives crust that beautiful color)

1/4 cup of chili powder

1/4 cup of garlic powder

1/4 cup of brown sugar ( I substitute majority with splenda now,, brown sugar melts faster and does not hold well on meat overnight in fridge).

1 tbs of garlic powder

1 tbs of onion powder

1 tbs of thyme (crushed with fingers)

1 tbs of oregano

1 tbs of sage

1 tbs of red pepper

1 tbs of mustard powder

Pull from brine, rinse and attack with paper towels but dont squeeze ur butt,, try to dry every bit of it.  The rub is not a big amount,, so when pork is dry,, I use what is there and evenly spread it. It holds well.  I normally then wrap with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.  I dont put any more on when I am ready too toss into smoker.

smoker is preheated to 225f, AMNPS is set with about 8 hours worth of pellets.  Careful here,, put too much in and the flame will jump rows ,, then you have a real smoke fest going on :)  These 2 butts,, I did 8 hours worth of Pecan ,, when it hit the stall,, I put in 4 hours worth of apple.  Then what ever happens happens :)  For new smokers... lil info.... the amnps will jump your temp up, its an extra heat source,, just let it ride if you are doing a long smoke,, The temp will settle down eventually.  Couple pics,, then off to check on it.  Temp is at 175f now,, hopefully over the stall,, just have hour left,, doubt it will be ready for them at work.  It will be worth the wait though :)  My old analog Mez is still running like a champ after 4 years :)

79eef073_Oink.jpg

85b700ba_Pigscantswim.jpg

c53d4446_Stall-172.jpg

Look's aren't deceiving, it was just as good as it looks.  Thanks for bringing it in Larry!

I've already placed an order for my AMNPS and Maverick, got some pellets coming as well.  Soon to make some mods to the smoker so it can breathe, then I'll be off to cooking something tasty as well.  Debating what to start with, probably go easy initially but I'll be darned if a fatty doesn't sound good!!

Look's aren't deceiving, it was just as good as it looks.  Thanks for bringing it in Larry!

I've already placed an order for my AMNPS and Maverick, got some pellets coming as well.  Soon to make some mods to the smoker so it can breathe, then I'll be off to cooking something tasty as well.  Debating what to start with, probably go easy initially but I'll be darned if a fatty doesn't sound good!!
Pork butt's are a great first smoke. They can be more forgiving if your temp gets a little outta hand. You are definitely in the right place to learn the craft of making good 'que.

Thought I'd post an update to this, just got my MES Analog 30 modded up so it can get some air.  I've seen a few approaches on the site, and after many trips to the hardware store looking for parts I could somehow twist into some venting I settled in on a plan.

I got two 4" drain plates, some small shelf brackets to use as handles, springs and bolts.  What I ended up with is a plate with several 1/4" holes and a plate I can rotate to control airflow.  I didn't start off drilling all the holes I could, figured I can drill more easier than I can fix having drilled too many.

I positioned the bottom opening so that it will site below my AMNPS, on the right side of the box due to how it sits on my deck and will get the best chance at airflow on this side.  I used a bolt through the center and put a spring on it so I can pull the plate out as I rotate it to adjust the openings.  Took some JB Weld (good up to 600 degrees) and used that to fasten the corner bracket onto the outside of the plate as a makeshift handle for rotating. Jury's still out on how well this is going to work, I'm curious if it sticks well.

Once I get a few smokes in we'll see how the air flows and what tweaking may need to be done.

A few pics of my mods:

Right side inlet:

The backside of the box 

Up close of the plate

Angled view of the plate:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky