• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Let the games begin! - 150gal Offset Build

MeatPopsicle

Joined May 27, 2020
Started my first offset smoker project this week. It'll have a 150gal cook chamber (85in long - 24in diameter = 35,371cu in), a 26in X 24in X 26in semi insulated firebox (16,224cu in), and planning on having a 6in diameter/40in tall smoke stack (1,131cu in). Learning how to weld/fabricate on this project, so there's a boat-load of trial and (mostly) error. Weld distortion....

So far this week:
- Frame cut and welded (1/8in thick - 2in square tubing)
- Casters mounted to 1/4" plate
- Tank marked up for cuts

Thoughts and advice welcomed!

Attachments

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Will be watching your progress.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks like a great project, especially in this lockdown!
I wish I had the space & tools for a build like that!
Al

MeatPopsicle

Joined May 27, 2020
Update #1:
Finished last week getting the frame fully welded up and casters mounted/welded. The plan this week is to start building the firebox and hopefully start cutting the tank.

- I'm still going back and forth on the semi-insulated firebox. The idea would be to insulate the front face, back face, and bottom. I'd leave the top un-insulated so I could preheat wood, or even use it as a flat-top grill. Just not sure the extra cost is going to be worth it (It'd be a $100 difference and probably an extra day of welding). That being said, the added efficiency and heat stability might be nice.

- I'm slightly nervous about cutting into the tank, although I've taken nearly every step to ensure there is no LP or fumes left in the tank. I completely purged the tank, filled it with Dawn soap and water and left it soaking for 2 weeks, cycled the water in the tank 3 times, emptied the tank, have had it sitting upside down for the last month, and have hooked up a leaf blower to one of the ports and cycled air through it. When I do cut the tank, my plan is to dump a bunch of dry ice in the tank to displace any oxygen with CO2.

Attachments

MeatPopsicle

Joined May 27, 2020
Update #2:
Spent the week researching and trying not to blow myself up while cutting into the tank. I ended up going to a local welding shop and getting a 20# bottle of CO2. My tank is around 35,371cu in, which is about 20.5cu ft. A 20# bottle of CO2 has around 175cu ft (8.75cu ft per #), so there was no question of displacing all the air in the tank. I dawned my finest angle grinder and went to work. 3 hours and a fair amount of tendonitis later, voila! Going to looking into using a plasma cutter for the doors and smoke catch/chimney.

Steel plate, DOM tubing, and round bar coming Monday, so hopefully this week will bring progress on the firebox.

Attachments

MeatPopsicle

Joined May 27, 2020
Update #3. I've been procrastinating posting, hence the photo dump.

- I decided to build an internal frame to support the firebox. The internal skin is 1/4" plate with 1" ceramic fire-blanket in between and 1/8" plate on the outside. The internal frame is 1"x1" square tubing. When all was said and done, I think the firebox weighed in the neighborhood of 400+lbs!

- I made the hinges with a small forge, which was a learning experience to say the least.. Sacrificed the hair on my right arm and damn near lost an eyebrow lighting it the first time!

- Got the firebox mounted and welded to the frame next, then moved on getting the tank mocked up. There was about 3/4" gap between the tank and the firebox cutout, which was a learning experience. Finally got the tank mounted on the legs and got the initial cuts done on the doors.

- Next up is finishing the doors, and building the smokestack/catch. The adventure continues!

Attachments

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Wow, looking great so far.

JC :emoji_cat:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.