Red's 24x46 Reverse Flow Patio Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats dude! I am in awe of the workmanship. And the temps are right where ya want them. Look forward to seeing the first cook. I’m sure it’s gonna be spectacula!

Jim

Thank you Jim! I don't want to jinx myself, but at this point, I couldn't be much happier. I'm calling the test run a giant success!

Next thing to do is get some meat cookin' in this beast!

Thanks again Jim! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

Seems like the weatherman‘s not helping me get this finished…tonight’s forecast is calling for triple digit heat indexes for the next week! 🤬

I’ll need to wait for some milder temps before prepping and painting…

Red

Red my friend, what an amazing build!! Congrats on a successful fabrication. That smoker is nothing short of being a mini battle tank and will last a lifetime. I meant to tell you in your last update when you were asking about paint. Look into a product (they have a bunch) called Carboline. They make industrial coatings, some of which are designed specifically for high temp applications.
For those of you who've followed along since the beginning
I'm on that list and am happy to be on it. What a fantastic thread, beginning to end. Thanks so much for taking the time to document the entire process and I cannot wait to see your first cook on that baby. Heck, i might even make the trip to be there and enjoy one of the first ribs coming off that baby. you and Mrs' Red get the first ones obviously :emoji_wink: Congrats again sir!!

Robert

Reactions: seenred
Red my friend, what an amazing build!! Congrats on a successful fabrication. That smoker is nothing short of being a mini battle tank and will last a lifetime.

Thank you Robert! Having watched your amazing build projects, that's high praise in my opinion!

I'll say it's definitely heavy! Just moving it from the shop to some flat ground next to the driveway was a major chore for one old man!

I meant to tell you in your last update when you were asking about paint. Look into a product (they have a bunch) called Carboline. They make industrial coatings, some of which are designed specifically for high temp applications.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look that up...although I had just about decided to simply go with black high temperature stove paint - I already have it on hand, so I figured I might as well use it.

I'm on that list and am happy to be on it. What a fantastic thread, beginning to end. Thanks so much for taking the time to document the entire process and I cannot wait to see your first cook on that baby. Heck, i might even make the trip to be there and enjoy one of the first ribs coming off that baby. you and Mrs' Red get the first ones obviously :emoji_wink: Congrats again sir!!

Robert

Thanks for following along Robert! It's been an enjoyable project. And you and Tracy are always welcome at our table - We'll throw in an extra slab!

Thanks again Robert!

Red

Been an awesome thread to follow Red... glad I tagged along as well!

Ryan

A beautiful build! I enjoyed peeking at your shop as well. Looking forward to your first smoke.

Been an awesome thread to follow Red... glad I tagged along as well!

Ryan

Thanks a lot Ryan - I'm glad you did too!

A beautiful build! I enjoyed peeking at your shop as well. Looking forward to your first smoke.

Thank you! My shop is pretty basic - a 20x20 metal building...but I'm pretty proud of it.

Red

Well my Friends...this project is complete!

Since my last update, I think the only fabrication step I had left to do was adding a probe wire port. I got that finished the day I started prepping for paint.

img113.jpg

Added a threaded cap to be able to close the port.

img114.jpg

And here she is all painted and purty - with 1200* black semi gloss stove and grill paint.

img115.jpg

img116.jpg

img117.jpg

img118.jpg

Nomex gasket around the main CC door.

img120.jpg

img121.jpg

The main cooking rack is removable but doesn't slide out...and is 35"x23"

The top cooking rack slides out, and is 32"x18"

Which makes a total cooking area of 1381 sq. in.

img122.jpg

img123.jpg

img124.jpg

img125.jpg

img126.jpg

img129.jpg

img130.jpg

There are 2 sliding dampers on the fire box - 1 front and 1 back.

img127.jpg

img128.jpg

Soon as the rain stops (maybe Sunday, says the weatherman) I'll be building a fire in it to cure the paint...and will definitely be smoking something at the same time. I think I have some ribs in the freezer, so I'll probably put that cook in the Pork forum.

I'm real happy with how this build turned out. I didn't really need another big smoker - mostly just wanted to see if I could build it. It really turned out better than I could have expected.

Thanks again to all of you who've followed the build from the beginning!

Cheers!
Red

Red , that's awesome . Fantastic job .
Gonna watch for the burn in and tuning .
Nice work bud .

Awesome build and thread.

Work of art

Chris

Outstanding build , Red !!!!

Red , that's awesome . Fantastic job .
Gonna watch for the burn in and tuning .
Nice work bud .

Looks terrific, nicely done!
Lookin' forward to seeing some smoke.

Wow - excellent fabrication. Enjoyed the thread. Watching for posts of cooks.

That's a great smoker !

Thanks everyone! There's a chance of severe storms here later today, and maybe overnight...but if the weather moves out by morning, I'm planning on cooking in it tomorrow!

Red

Red, nice finish! That thing is going to cook some mighty fine bbq, enjoy and well don!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky