Newbie 500 Gallon RF Build from Northern Illinois

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zeebad10

Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
New here, but have spent many hours reading, and ready to start my reverse flow build on a 500 gal LP tank.
I just received a box of parts from BBQ Smoker Supply, procured the tank, a trailer to put it on, and a bunch of 5/16" sheet steel. I've already done a bunch of calculating, but I'm sure there's something I've missed. With the temps predicted to be in the 90's for the next week, it will be good to be working in the shop!!!

I have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to..........

1: When cutting the door opening for the CC, should I make the top cut first, and weld hinges on before finishing the cuts?

2: Hinge placement. should the "pivot point" be right over the cut, or offset? I'm no engineer, but saw one fellow that welded the hinges, with the pivot point "away" from the door side cut.

3: Do I need gaskets on the CC doors? I plan on welding thin strap iron around the perimeter of the doors.

4: If using gaskets, do I need to allow spacing for gasket material?

5: Does 5/16" thick steel need gussets to prevent warping of the firebox? I assume that it will.

6: Best method of fabricating rails for grills to slide in & out, and also "stops" to keep the grills from coming out too far. I have seen a few ideas, but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

7: does the RF baffle need to be welded in? I plan on a "trough" in the center, with sheets of the 5/16" steel on both sides. Would 1" of fall be enough, for this 36" diameter tank? That will equate to about 1" per 16".

8: Should I make the RF baffle plate adjustable at the end away from the FB, to adjust the opening size for temp control?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I couldn't find what I wanted, using the search function.
Thanks in advance for any info you may wish to share!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
Good afternoon and welcome from North Carolina.

You'd be better off posting all those questions in a new post in the Reverse Flow sub-forum of the "smoker Builds" forum.

There's a ttorial there and a boatload of threads that will answer most (maybe all) of your questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky