Keto, the time has come, long over due really.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No he just trying explain what happens. This is mostly for why regular diets don't work. He has other ones for Intermittent fasting as well as Dr Fung. I do the 18/6 which is 18 hours a day no eating during the week days. Lost 40 and kept it off. Everyone differant and have to find what works for you. He does have a ton of videos that explains how your body works. I learned so much on why and how things work in your body. I do long fast though for something called autophagy. It has greatly improved my memory. I though I was getting that dreaded disease my dad had but now not having more problems. Insulin is a storage hormone and really effects a lot of things. It suppresses a lot of other hormones when active including your growth hormone which tells your body to use fat for fuel. There is a long of new studies out there but you have to watch and decide for yourself what to believe.
I find I'm very good at Intermittent Fatting. It is closer to the opposite of what you explain :P

Reactions: forktender
Can't give ya any advice on dieting but I do firmly believe alot of it's mental... in order to be successful you have to want to do it. Kinda like quitting smoking cigarettes...if ya really want to quitting is easy...I know because I did it last April after 30 years. I have faith you can do it.

Ryan

After a crap ton of thought and talking with friends and family that know me better than myself, I've decided to try the low carb approach before I jump into the full blow keto. I'm going to give it until the first of the year to see where I'm at before I decide that I need to go full keto.

I truly appreciate all of your help and knowledge, it means a lot too me.
And I will be using your ideas and recipes to help me stay away from as many carbs as I can.

Thank you all very, very much.
Have a great Thanksgiving with friends and loved ones.
Dan

Reactions: tallbm and zwiller
I was worried about Thanksgiving supper but was thrilled to find out that my cousin was coming over.
She is a nutritionist and a world class powerlifter, she made my plate up for me, and I was shocked at how much food was on the plate. Granted, some things were just a few bites, while others were more than I could finish. She even made up my dessert plate, which was a very thin slice of pie and a scantly stuffed cannoli without the powdered sugar on top and an espresso. She said the desert plate should only be eaten on my one day per week cheat day, everything else could be ate daily if I wanted to.

I blew it, I should've taken a picture of my plate, it was impressive.

I hope you all had a great day with family and friends, I know that I did.

She even made me a few Booker's and soda H2o instead of my normal beers and wine. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok guys, I need a little help here. I would like to make a gravy to put over leftover turkey and veggies. What is an exceptable thicking agent to add to turkey and onion stock to thicken it? Hopefully something I already have at the house if not I can run to the store.

P.S Costco is blowing out turkeys right now is the time to stock up if you have room.
They are $10 off the marked price. The organic turkeys are $30 off the marked price.
I bought two 19 lbers for$16 for the pair, they are Foster Farms fresh birds.

Reactions: tallbm
Heavy cream,sour cream, cream cheese or a combination will do the trick with the added benefit of the fat. If you don't want the cream factor xanthan gum works great. I baught a bag from Wal-Mart and it lasts forever!

Reactions: zwiller
After a crap ton of thought and talking with friends and family that know me better than myself, I've decided to try the low carb approach before I jump into the full blow keto. I'm going to give it until the first of the year to see where I'm at before I decide that I need to go full keto.

I truly appreciate all of your help and knowledge, it means a lot too me.
And I will be using your ideas and recipes to help me stay away from as many carbs as I can.

Have a great Thanksgiving with friends and loved ones.
Dan
Good luck Dan. I can't do full Keto just low carb with fasting. I have completely fallen off the wagon and blood sugar probably through the roof. I need to go back and start watching my video's as they seem to give me motivation. Once you get going goes pretty well but when you stray hard to get back on track!

Ok guys, I need a little help here. I would like to make a gravy to put over leftover turkey and veggies. What is an exceptable thicking agent to add to turkey and onion stock to thicken it? Hopefully something I already have at the house if not I can run to the store.

P.S Costco is blowing out turkeys right now is the time to stock up if you have room.
They are $10 off the marked price. The organic turkeys are $30 off the marked price.
I bought two 19 lbers for$16 for the pair, they are Foster Farms fresh birds.
For thanksgiving I did 2 cups double strength Minors chicken broth, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 block cream cheese. At the end I sprinkled with Xanthan until I got the thickness I wanted. Xanthan is very useful but be careful in overusing. If you use too much it will quickly take on a slimy mouthfeel. You can also start prior to these ingredients with a handful of almond flour and lots of butter in a pan to make a roux first. I’ve yet to figure out if the roux does much other than contribute flavor from the butter and any bits in the pan if it’s a gravy I’m doing after cooking meat in the pan. That roux / cream / cream cheese is the vase for virtually any gravy or cream pasta sauce you want to make. Add Parmesan to it for example and you have a banging good Alfredo. I’ve posted hamburger and sausage gravy here using about the same process too.

I started Keto back in December of 2019, I was 6'2" 310# and felt like crap. I decided to make a change and decided upon keto. I watched many videos on Youtube from Dr. Berg, just search keto Dr. Berg, and the diet made sense to me. In a year I was down to 235#, felt great, bought a whole new wardrobe and was a total life changer. I now fluctuate between 245-255 without following keto, if I feel crappy I get back on keto for a week and lose several unwanted pounds. I need to get back on the keto regimen start of new year, want to get to 215.
There are so many keto recipes out there and be sure to use the proper sweeteners which do not have an impact on insulin levels. As someone mentioned, I used grinded pork grinds for breading when needed. Make meatballs, burgers, etc with the pork grinds and it's awesome.
Whatever you do, stick with the program, if you need to have an adult beverage have Tito's with club soda or flavored seltzer (no carbs) and a splash of lemon or lime juice, best if you don't add anything. I cut out all diet beverages/food, they have zero carbs but loaded with fake crap which causes insulin increases. I fasted from 7p to 11a everyday, ate a ton of veggies (non-root), eggs, avocados, shrimp, bacon, butter, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pickles, etc. Pickled foods are fantastic for gut health on this diet, drink plenty of water.
Good luck.

I started Keto back in December of 2019, I was 6'2" 310# and felt like crap. I decided to make a change and decided upon keto. I watched many videos on Youtube from Dr. Berg, just search keto Dr. Berg, and the diet made sense to me. In a year I was down to 235#, felt great, bought a whole new wardrobe and was a total life changer. I now fluctuate between 245-255 without following keto, if I feel crappy I get back on keto for a week and lose several unwanted pounds. I need to get back on the keto regimen start of new year, want to get to 215.
There are so many keto recipes out there and be sure to use the proper sweeteners which do not have an impact on insulin levels. As someone mentioned, I used grinded pork grinds for breading when needed. Make meatballs, burgers, etc with the pork grinds and it's awesome.
Whatever you do, stick with the program, if you need to have an adult beverage have Tito's with club soda or flavored seltzer (no carbs) and a splash of lemon or lime juice, best if you don't add anything. I cut out all diet beverages/food, they have zero carbs but loaded with fake crap which causes insulin increases. I fasted from 7p to 11a everyday, ate a ton of veggies (non-root), eggs, avocados, shrimp, bacon, butter, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pickles, etc. Pickled foods are fantastic for gut health on this diet, drink plenty of water.
Good luck.
Glad it’s working for you. Lots of good info in your post. I’ll disagree with one, not all “diet” foods , drinks and sweeteners cause an insulin response. It is possible that some are more sensitive to them than others and your point is sound to carefully consider the ingredients. All in all we all gotta do what works for us and keeps us on the path.

Awesome guys, I have Almond flour that I bought last week for breading rock cod that I cought last weekend. And I'll pick up some heavy cream and some X- gum to have on hand.

So far the only things that Im really missing is bread, pasta, pizza and real sugar.
I haven't found a sweetner that I really like yet, but I will eventually.
We have a lot of stores around me who carry it. Meijers and Save a lot are two of them.
I used their find a store search. There is one store not to far from me that carries one of the A.B., I'll check it out

Good luck.
Congratulations X10!!!!!!
Man, that is awesome, you rocked it. So far the low carb health fat thing is working for me. I'm down 12 lbs and I'm eating twice as much as I was pre-diet. One of my problems is I was only eating one meal a day, then snacking on garbage in the middle of the night.

So, now Im eating veggies, with balsamic and avacado oil for snacks. When I get a sweet tooth, I eat one of my keto bars that only have a few carbs.

I've tried tha almond meal for breading, but I forgot to add Parmesan cheese to it, it wasn't as good as the pork rind breading I used last week, but I'll give it another shot with the cheese added this time.

I already feel better, and I'm already sleeping better, which is a god send.

The support from all of you is making my journey a successful venture. More good things to come, please keep this thread alive whenever you think of something to add to it.

God bless you all for your support and caring posts.

Your friend.
Dan.

Reactions: tallbm
Awesome guys, I have Almond flour that I bought last week for breading rock cod that I cought last weekend. And I'll pick up some heavy cream and some X- gum to have on hand.

So far the only things that Im really missing is bread, pasta, pizza and real sugar.

I used their find a store search. There is one store not to far from me that carries one of the A.B., I'll check it out

For pizza Fathead dough is your friend. Takes a bit of practice to get the dough together and more to roll it thin and prebake so it’s not mushy. With the effort though. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/keto-fathead-pizza-night.293080/ https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/philly-cheesesteak-pizza.297371/

Congratulations X10!!!!!!
Man, that is awesome, you rocked it. So far the low carb health fat thing is working for me. I'm down 12 lbs and I'm eating twice as much as I was pre-diet. One of my problems is I was only eating one meal a day, then snacking on garbage in the middle of the night.

So, now Im eating veggies, with balsamic and avacado oil for snacks. When I get a sweet tooth, I eat one of my keto bars that only have a few carbs.

I've tried tha almond meal for breading, but I forgot to add Parmesan cheese to it, it wasn't as good as the pork rind breading I used last week, but I'll give it another shot with the cheese added this time.

I already feel better, and I'm already sleeping better, which is a god send.

The support from all of you is making my journey a successful venture. More good things to come, please keep this thread alive whenever you think of something to add to it.

God bless you all for your support and caring posts.

Your friend.
Dan.

If you can't make the almond flour work well as a breading don't throw it away. I've had a small piece cake made from almond flour and coconut flour with icing made of cream cheese and butter and erythritol as the sweetener (allulose would work as good as better).
It tasted GREAT and I don't really care for cake at all.

I don't bake but after having seen that made and tasted it I think you can solve your "sweet" issue with dishes like that. Again you can't go wild as they are super calorie rich but you can make this kind of stuff and easily eat a good slice :)

I've found bread and bready items to be the hardest unless you want to make those CarbQuick biscuits. Pasta has some options but you can't go wild on the sauce which is my favorite part.

Rebel ice cream and a few other keto ice creams exist in the grocery store but are high in calories. I'm too lactose intolerant for those but found some good non-dairy ones for when I "cheat".

Just keep at it and keep asking and I'm sure someone here can help find a suitable replacement or something to limp by on if you are missing something you are craving :)

If you can't make the almond flour work well as a breading don't throw it away. I've had a small piece cake made from almond flour and coconut flour with icing made of cream cheese and butter and erythritol as the sweetener (allulose would work as good as better).
It tasted GREAT and I don't really care for cake at all.

I don't bake but after having seen that made and tasted it I think you can solve your "sweet" issue with dishes like that. Again you can't go wild as they are super calorie rich but you can make this kind of stuff and easily eat a good slice :)

I've found bread and bready items to be the hardest unless you want to make those CarbQuick biscuits. Pasta has some options but you can't go wild on the sauce which is my favorite part.

Rebel ice cream and a few other keto ice creams exist in the grocery store but are high in calories. I'm too lactose intolerant for those but found some good non-dairy ones for when I "cheat".

Just keep at it and keep asking and I'm sure someone here can help find a suitable replacement or something to limp by on if you are missing something you are craving :)
I'm going to hunt down an almond flour cake recipe to make some mini cupcakes.

I'm having a hard to finding a sweetener that I like, so far I've tried Equal, Monk Fruit and this stuff which is a mix of a few things. (it's nasty) LOL
1638264454830.png

What should I try next? Mainly for sweet tea, yogurt and cottage cheese, then one for baking, or can I use the same for both?

I'm going to hunt down an almond flour cake recipe to make some mini cupcakes.

I'm having a hard to finding a sweetener that I like, so far I've tried Equal, Monk Fruit and this stuff which is a mix of a few things. (it's nasty) LOL
View attachment 517730

What should I try next? Mainly for sweet tea, yogurt and cottage cheese, then one for baking, or can I use the same for both?
Try Allulose. It has the least after taste and no cooling effect. Google keto mug cakes too. There are some great ones. I honestly don’t mind erythritol either. Just know in higher amounts it has a little cooling effect on the tongue. I’m not a keto “purist” and have no issues with using sucralose either. Splenda in powdered form has to much maltodextrin but liquid sucralose is perfect for sweetening drinks.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky