• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Keto, the time has come, long over due really.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Nice vid BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma . One of the best I've seen of this type. Usually most are focused on smaller parts and not the big picture/long term. I will check out his other vids.

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
No he just trying explain what happens. This is mostly for why regular diets don't work. He has other ones for Intermittent fasting as well as Dr Fung. I do the 18/6 which is 18 hours a day no eating during the week days. Lost 40 and kept it off. Everyone differant and have to find what works for you. He does have a ton of videos that explains how your body works. I learned so much on why and how things work in your body. I do long fast though for something called autophagy. It has greatly improved my memory. I though I was getting that dreaded disease my dad had but now not having more problems. Insulin is a storage hormone and really effects a lot of things. It suppresses a lot of other hormones when active including your growth hormone which tells your body to use fat for fuel. There is a long of new studies out there but you have to watch and decide for yourself what to believe.
I find I'm very good at Intermittent Fatting. It is closer to the opposite of what you explain :P

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Can't give ya any advice on dieting but I do firmly believe alot of it's mental... in order to be successful you have to want to do it. Kinda like quitting smoking cigarettes...if ya really want to quitting is easy...I know because I did it last April after 30 years. I have faith you can do it.

Ryan

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
After a crap ton of thought and talking with friends and family that know me better than myself, I've decided to try the low carb approach before I jump into the full blow keto. I'm going to give it until the first of the year to see where I'm at before I decide that I need to go full keto.

I truly appreciate all of your help and knowledge, it means a lot too me.
And I will be using your ideas and recipes to help me stay away from as many carbs as I can.

Thank you all very, very much.
Have a great Thanksgiving with friends and loved ones.
Dan

51Phantom

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 20, 2021
you will have success with that approach if you keep your carbs under 50g a day, under 30, even better. Just make sure you intake enough good fat (saturated)

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
I was worried about Thanksgiving supper but was thrilled to find out that my cousin was coming over.
She is a nutritionist and a world class powerlifter, she made my plate up for me, and I was shocked at how much food was on the plate. Granted, some things were just a few bites, while others were more than I could finish. She even made up my dessert plate, which was a very thin slice of pie and a scantly stuffed cannoli without the powdered sugar on top and an espresso. She said the desert plate should only be eaten on my one day per week cheat day, everything else could be ate daily if I wanted to.

I blew it, I should've taken a picture of my plate, it was impressive.

I hope you all had a great day with family and friends, I know that I did.

She even made me a few Booker's and soda H2o instead of my normal beers and wine. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Ok guys, I need a little help here. I would like to make a gravy to put over leftover turkey and veggies. What is an exceptable thicking agent to add to turkey and onion stock to thicken it? Hopefully something I already have at the house if not I can run to the store.

P.S Costco is blowing out turkeys right now is the time to stock up if you have room.
They are $10 off the marked price. The organic turkeys are $30 off the marked price.
I bought two 19 lbers for$16 for the pair, they are Foster Farms fresh birds.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Heavy cream,sour cream, cream cheese or a combination will do the trick with the added benefit of the fat. If you don't want the cream factor xanthan gum works great. I baught a bag from Wal-Mart and it lasts forever!

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
After a crap ton of thought and talking with friends and family that know me better than myself, I've decided to try the low carb approach before I jump into the full blow keto. I'm going to give it until the first of the year to see where I'm at before I decide that I need to go full keto.

I truly appreciate all of your help and knowledge, it means a lot too me.
And I will be using your ideas and recipes to help me stay away from as many carbs as I can.

Thank you all very, very much.
Have a great Thanksgiving with friends and loved ones.
Dan
Good luck Dan. I can't do full Keto just low carb with fasting. I have completely fallen off the wagon and blood sugar probably through the roof. I need to go back and start watching my video's as they seem to give me motivation. Once you get going goes pretty well but when you stray hard to get back on track!

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Ok guys, I need a little help here. I would like to make a gravy to put over leftover turkey and veggies. What is an exceptable thicking agent to add to turkey and onion stock to thicken it? Hopefully something I already have at the house if not I can run to the store.

P.S Costco is blowing out turkeys right now is the time to stock up if you have room.
They are $10 off the marked price. The organic turkeys are $30 off the marked price.
I bought two 19 lbers for$16 for the pair, they are Foster Farms fresh birds.
For thanksgiving I did 2 cups double strength Minors chicken broth, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 block cream cheese. At the end I sprinkled with Xanthan until I got the thickness I wanted. Xanthan is very useful but be careful in overusing. If you use too much it will quickly take on a slimy mouthfeel. You can also start prior to these ingredients with a handful of almond flour and lots of butter in a pan to make a roux first. I’ve yet to figure out if the roux does much other than contribute flavor from the butter and any bits in the pan if it’s a gravy I’m doing after cooking meat in the pan. That roux / cream / cream cheese is the vase for virtually any gravy or cream pasta sauce you want to make. Add Parmesan to it for example and you have a banging good Alfredo. I’ve posted hamburger and sausage gravy here using about the same process too.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.