Just got back from the doctor…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bobby Strange

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
I’m 37 years old…I had to get my annual blood test and doctor also ordered a lipid test…my ldl is in the borderline high zone…I know I can’t be the only one dealing with this problem so I’m just wonder if anyone here has the same problem and what they started smoking/grilling to adhere to a lower cholesterol diet. Thanks!

Over the counter Niacin is quite effective for most people if you can deal with the flush. Some people are genetically predisposed for high cholesterol. If you are active and eat sensibly for the most part you should be good. Balance is always the best strategy.

G

Sorry that I cant help on this one. According to my Dr., I'm part of an uncommon group of Fat Guys whose Cholesterol runs low regardless of what I eat. If I dont Fast before the blood test, my LDL is still low/normal. Go figure?...JJ

Reactions: JLeonard
Chicken breast (no skin and no sauce with sugar) and white fleshed fish, (Alaska cod is good).
All the fatty red meat I want as long as it's 3 or 4 oz twice a week.
And tons of fresh veg with fresh fruit/s in the AM.
Google the "Dash" diet plan.

I too take a statin, I inheritted high cholesterol from my parents. It keeps it in check.

If I ate better and got some exercise, it would probably help, but mine is naturally high

Wife and I went to a lower carb diet and doing some elliptical 5 days a week, we are both down at least 20lbs. A1C (diabetic sugar levels) are down from a high of 9.8 to 6.3. My triglycerides are down from 393 to 89. Like mentioned avoid carbs like the plague, eat veggies and some form of movement.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Hmmmm---That's about the only health problem I don't have.
I figure my BP is so High, nothing can stick to my real arteries, or the Gore-tex section attached to my Aortic Cow-Valve.
Mrs Bear takes Atorvastatin & does a lot of exercising. She does exercises for me too!!
Air Frying with the Ninja I'm sure is a big help too.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
Hmmmm---That's about the only health problem I don't have.
I figure my BP is so High, nothing can stick to my real arteries, or the Gore-tex section attached to my Aortic Cow-Valve.
Mrs Bear takes Atorvastatin & does a lot of exercising. She does exercises for me too!!
Air Frying with the Ninja I'm sure is a big help too.

Bear
me too, even when I was 244lbs and my diabetes was way out of control my cholesterol was 170. I know people who have bad "genes" and they were 300 on meds and thin.

Eat healthier like lean meats, fruits vegetables and exercise and lose weight if over weight. Cholesterol does not discriminate. You can be a skinny toothpick and have high cholesterol levels especially if Hypercholesterolemia runs in the family. If that's the case statins can come in the picture but I would not take statins for borderline high only if its really high and no matter what you do it won't come down. I take Atorvastatin because mine runs in the family really high and it won't come down naturally even if I shot it.

Have the same issue. I'm on the high side of the low end. I cut saturated fats and try to get as much unsaturated as I can. Started exercising and cardio. I dropped 20 lbs in a couple of weeks. People were asking if I was sick lol. Helped a little but I ended up having to take meds to keep it in check. It depends on your genetics, if it's in the family like it is in my case then you changing your diet and exercising may not help a lot

Have the same issue. I'm on the high side of the low end. I cut saturated fats and try to get as much unsaturated as I can. Started exercising and cardio. I dropped 20 lbs in a couple of weeks. People were asking if I was sick lol. Helped a little but I ended up having to take meds to keep it in check. It depends on your genetics, if it's in the family like it is in my case then you changing your diet and exercising may not help a lot
I agree with the genetics part but I bet if your dr had you do a complete blood work out before and you had another round 3 months later, your triglicrides, sugars A1C and a bunch of other things all went down. If you saw a cardiologist he would notice your resting heart beats are better as well. Fighting against bad genes or family history really sucks and then sometimes meds have to be used.

I'm not a "diet" kind of guy, but I did modify my eating habits. I've cut out carbs and sugars and am down over 50 lbs so far. I don't specifically exercise, but I keep very active when I am not working behind this darn computer! For me it is a "permanent" change in my lifestyle. My cholesterol was borderline last it was checked when I was pushing over 270 lbs and with a family history of it. My Dr. wanted to put me on statins and a baby aspirin a day.

With all that said, I am still here, and turning out and enjoying some fantastic BBQ! ...in moderation. I had to take a bit of a hiatus at first from SMF, but I've found my zone. I haven't been back to the doc yet to have it checked again, but most importantly I feel a whole lot better!

The #1 thing that was key for me was READING LABELS and not just going by what anyone said was "keto" or "low carb" or whatever. Oh, I still occasionally have a pile of biscuits and gravy or French toast with ghee butter and sf maple syrup (found some real good substitutes I can live with!). But I probably now eat at least 3 times the vegetables I used to and love it! I'm in it for the long haul. You can do it!

Last edited:
That is what I was told from my endocrinologist, don't be afraid of the fat. She told me to stop steaming my veggies and cook them in real butter. Fat is what makes the body run.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I agree with the genetics part but I bet if your dr had you do a complete blood work out before and you had another round 3 months later, your triglicrides, sugars A1C and a bunch of other things all went down. If you saw a cardiologist he would notice your resting heart beats are better as well. Fighting against bad genes or family history really sucks and then sometimes meds have to be used.
Very true.

Whole grain breads, or really whole grain anything four times a day and high quality olive oil for the frying pan.
Butter and whole fat cheese not so much.

Whole grain breads, or really whole grain anything four times a day and high quality olive oil for the frying pan.
Butter and whole fat cheese not so much.
agree on the olive oil, but not at all on the whole grain. Whole grain and wheat bread are really no better for you than white bread.
Another great follow is Dr. Jason Fung. He is from Toronto and has a good rep. Sugar is the enemy, carbs are sugar to the body. Need to cut the carbs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky