Life Got Complicated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First, I'd like to sincerely thank you all for your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. They really do mean a lot to us.

As somewhat of an update, the results of her thyroid biopsies came back yesterday afternoon. There were 2 places where they obtained samples. One is benign and the other is "recommended for further investigation". The size of this lump is right at 4 centimeters which is the size where surgery is required to remove it. Not sure where that will take us, but she spoke with her doctor on the phone and we'll go in for a consultation.

The results of the liver biopsies should be available today or tomorrow.

Again, thank you all...

First, I'd like to sincerely thank you all for your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. They really do mean a lot to us.

As somewhat of an update, the results of her thyroid biopsies came back yesterday afternoon. There were 2 places where they obtained samples. One is benign and the other is "recommended for further investigation". The size of this lump is right at 4 centimeters which is the size where surgery is required to remove it. Not sure where that will take us, but she spoke with her doctor on the phone and we'll go in for a consultation.

The results of the liver biopsies should be available today or tomorrow.

Again, thank you all...

Thanks for the update. I can understand the anxiety one must get not knowing how bad bad actually is. Wishing you and your family the best possible outcome from all of this.

JC :emoji_cat:

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! Hoping for the best!

The size of this lump is right at 4 centimeters which is the size where surgery is required to remove it.

Fingers crossed with all of the information from your doctors .
And many prayers being sent to your family in this trying time.

Mona had hers removed and only from one side couple years back. She is all clear in that department.
Here is praying you guys have the same results . :emoji_angel::emoji_angel::emoji_angel:

David

Happy birthday to her... a great time for food with family!

Ryan

Wish her a happy birthday for me, and enjoy that stew.

Chris

Prayers, strength, positive thoughts, smiles, and laughter sent to Sheila, your family, and you, Charles. God sends Angels who let you know they are there when you aren't looking for them. Say hello and thank you when you feel their hug, especially now.

God bless you all,

Ray

First, I'd like to sincerely thank you all for the outpouring of support and your prayers. They really do mean a lot to us and we greatly appreciate them.

I've waited to post an update until we had more information, so here's an update on where we are as well as a testimony to the power of prayer.

When she had the liver biopsy done a couple of weeks ago, her liver doctor said that pathology results of "inconclusive" could be the worst case scenario because of what steps that may lead to in order to get an accurate diagnosis. Well, they came back "inconclusive". Her doctor had an opinion, but he had her case reviewed by some of the advanced medical boards at MUSC. We met with him yesterday and he said they are all in agreement...She does not have liver cancer and no exploratory surgery is needed. Talk about the weight of the world being lifted off my shoulders. We can't help but acknowledge what the prayers have done.

She does have advanced cirrhosis, which is severe scarring of the liver, and that can develop into cancer over time. Cirrhosis won't go away and the progression can only be minimized. Hers developed from fatty liver disease which she was diagnosed with when she was around 20 years old, before I knew her. The good news is that her MELD score, which is an indication of how urgently someone needs a liver transplant, is 6 which is as low as it can be. This score can range from 6-40 with 15 being the point at which a person could go on the transplant list. The score is the result of several lab tests and there is no sure way to know if or how fast she will progress.

So now she goes into a monitoring phase. She will have all the necessary lab work and an MRI done every 3 months for the next 1-2 years. Depending on the progression of the disease, that frequency can go to every 6 months for a few more years and then maybe yearly.

A couple of simple lifestyle changes will help slow the progression. From here on, no food or drink with added sugar. Natural sugar, such as in fruits and vegetables, is OK. This won't be a problem because she already avoids most sugar, anyway. We didn't think to ask about artificial sweeteners, but we will. Next is no alcohol. She has never drank much except for the occasional glass of wine with a meal so that won't be a problem, either. Save me a bunch of money when we go out to eat 🤣.

Now back to the original issue, the abdominal pain which is what brought us to this point to begin with. It is totally unrelated to her liver disease which the doctor called an incidental finding. So she has another appointment with her GI doctor and hopefully he can figure out what's causing the pain, other than me 🤣. The pain is really bad at times and she has trouble sleeping most nights.

The stress of all of this has been tremendous with many sleepless nights. Now finally we/I can breath easier. My desire to cook and fish has returned so watch out.

Again, THANK YOU ALL for the thoughts and prayers!! They have made a difference...

Good news Charles . I was reading along , but haven't commented until now .
Time to take a breathe and breath a sigh of relief .
Yes sir Rich, many deep breaths...
That is awesome news! So glad to hear for your whole family!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan and we are "whole" again...
Great news Charles, will relieve a lot of stress on both, which in itself is not good for one.
It has been a very emotional roller coaster ride for sure which had very few ups and many downs, but at least the end is not in sight as it was 2 months ago...

Reactions: halleoneagain
Great news Charles. That's a huge weight taken off your shoulders. I realize the battle isn't over, but you guys are heading in the right direction. Stay strong.

Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky