Italian Insanity: Lasagna Wrapped Sausages W/ Spicy Marinara & Veggies (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Ok, I'm having a blast with this pasta maker. I got a simple but incredible dough recipe from our very good friend sawhorseray sawhorseray and it makes THE BEST pasta we've ever had. Decided to get a little creative yesterday and have some fun. Got couple links of sweet Italian sausage out of the freezer, which were made with Cabernet Sauvignon (sp??) instead of water, also a recommendation from Ray, and they are fantastic. While the sausages were defrosting I got out the dough ball I made a few days ago and weighed out 2 equal sized portions. Set up the roller and was off to the races!!

Rolling out the sheets of pasta.
003.jpg

Two sheets rolled out and trimmed to be the same size.
004.jpg

On to the drying rack.
005.jpg

Toss the sausages into a skillet with a drizzle of EVOO.
006.jpg

Cut up some peppers and onions. Into another skillet with a little EVOO, some fresh garlic, and a sprinkle of mixed Italian herb blend.
007.jpg

When the sausages are almost done, I made relief cuts in the back so they would lay down flat. Onto the pasta sheets with some Parm and Romano cheeses.
008.jpg

Roll them up tightly and into 6" CI skillets.
009.jpg

Add the spicy marinara and veggies.
010.jpg

Onto the grill at about 375 for 20 minutes or so. It's getting dark at this point so pics are not real good.
011.jpg

When the marinara starts to bubble just a bit, take them out and load up the mozzarella then back onto the grill.
012.jpg

10 more minutes or so the cheese is melted and starting to brown up a bit. Time to take them into the house.
013.jpg

Plated with some cheesy garlic toast. Time to eat. I'm really looking forward to this one!!
014.jpg

A couple of cut shots.
015.jpg

019_Fotogenic.jpg

I'm likely to get yelled and slapped around a bit for this because it violates every traditional Italian dish I've ever seen. I gotta say though, it was absolutely outstanding. It was also fun do do, creative, and as much as the pics may not demonstrate it, the visual was off the charts. For pulling this one way out of left field, I was really happy with the way it came out. You probably won't see me post this again but you can rest assured that it will be a regular staple around here. It was just different and y'all know I like to do weird stuff on a regular basis :emoji_laughing: Hey Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) these would be a great meal for your friends at the firehouse. As excellent a sausage maker as you are, I could see you making a grand slam home run dinner for them.

Well I'm done. Tagged half of the forum here and it's time to make a beer run. Take care everybody and be back soon.

Robert

One fine creative piece of work right there Robert, nice job! Hell, the sheets you are rolling out appear stellar, I knew it wouldn't take you any time at all. RAY

Wow that’s a pretty neat and interesting Robert! The lasagna wrapped sausage looks awesome. I’d eat a plate of it for sure!

Looks great! Looks like you turned all that melting cheese into gravy!

Ryan

Oh, Man, I like this!!
I have the sausage and all the ingredients and the pasta machine. We just had Lasagna so this will have to happen next week some time, but I absolutely want to make this!
You always amaze me.
On a side note, since the meal only used a couple of strips of pasta, what did you do with the rest? Freeze it?

Holy smoke Robert that looks awesome, if I could find a good low carb pasta recipe that I could use in the roller it would be in my arsenal...Hey jcam222 jcam222 any ideas???

Wow, my pasta machine has only been used for ravioli , pieorgies and pasta. Gonna have to try this out for sure!

Holy smoke Robert that looks awesome, if I could find a good low carb pasta recipe that I could use in the roller it would be in my arsenal...Hey jcam222 jcam222 any ideas???
I’m guessing few and far between, maybe based on Fathead dough. I will poke around for sure. I want to do ravioli style stuff too.

Reactions: clifish
I’m guessing few and far between, maybe based on Fathead dough. I will poke around for sure. I want to do ravioli style stuff too.
yeah I was ready to pull the trigger on the pasta roller but my quick search yielded nothing that would work in these.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky