I just had to do vortex ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I’ve had some health issues and haven’t been as active on the forum as I would like. However, I just had to post these ribs. I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time and I’ve hesitated because I haven’t been able to find any decent ribs. We were at Wally world a few days ago and I came across a real nice rack 2 1/2 pounds with no loin meat on it with nice marbling.
IMG_1857.jpeg

sliced up individually, they almost look like spare ribs. And yes I took the membrane off.
IMG_1858.jpeg

I coated them with yellow mustard and killer hogs rub.
IMG_1859.jpeg

Then into a bag and into the refrigerator overnight.
IMG_1860.jpeg

Got the vortex going with jealous devil lump and a few chunks of oak.
IMG_1861.jpeg

It didn’t take long to get up to 500°. It stayed between 450 and 500 all the whole time.
IMG_1865.jpeg

I put the ribs on with a big chunk of mesquite in the middle.
IMG_1863.jpeg

When I was flipping and saucing the ribs the Mesquite caught fire, but it went right out soon as I put the lid back on. It really put some nice smoke on the ribs.
IMG_1866.jpeg
IMG_1868.jpeg

The sauce really set up nice it had really nice bark on it and yet the meat was Quite tender and juicy.

IMG_1874.jpeg

So in conclusion, I am so happy I tried this. The ribs were done in an hour maybe a little longer they were just as tender and juicy as if I had to cook them for five or six hours. They actually had more smoke on them than they get on the recteq, even with a smoke tube in there, I have to say I was not expecting this. I thought they would be dried out and chewy but boy was I wrong. They were just a flavor bomb. Thanks to all of you that have been encouraging me to try this and especially mossymo mossymo for figuring this out. I really don’t see myself cooking ribs any other way from now on, this was just too easy and too good. Thanks for stopping by!
Al

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 8
I’ve had some health issues and haven’t been as active on the forum as I would like. However, I just had to post these ribs. I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time and I’ve hesitated because I haven’t been able to find any decent ribs. We were at Wally world a few days ago and I came across a real nice rack 2 1/2 pounds with no loin meat on it with nice marbling.
View attachment 697358
sliced up individually, they almost look like spare ribs. And yes I took the membrane off.
View attachment 697357
View attachment 697356
View attachment 697355
View attachment 697353
It didn’t take long to get up to 500°. It stayed between 450 and 500 all the whole time.
View attachment 697354
View attachment 697359
When I was flipping and saucing the ribs the Mesquite caught fire, but it went right out soon as I put the lid back on. It really put some nice smoke on the ribs.
View attachment 697360View attachment 697365
The sauce really set up nice it had really nice bark on it and yet the meat was Quite tender and juicy.

View attachment 697361
So in conclusion, I am so happy I tried this. The ribs were done in an hour maybe a little longer they were just as tender and juicy as if I had to cook them for five or six hours. They actually had more smoke on them than they get on the recteq, even with a smoke tube in there, I have to say I was not expecting this. I thought they would be dried out and chewy but boy was I wrong. They were just a flavor bomb. Thanks to all of you that have been encouraging me to try this and especially mossymo mossymo for figuring this out. I really don’t see myself cooking ribs any other way from now on, this was just too easy and too good. Thanks for stopping by!
Al
Al, those look amazing! Never thought to try them on the Vortex. Yall keep giving me more ideas than I have time for! The mesquite did not give you too much of a bitter flavor?

P.S. - I hope the health issues don't hold you back any more and you get passed them soon!

- Jason

Those look great 👍. Sounds like a game changer to cook them faster and still keep a good tender bite. Nice work.
Thank you JL, it is a game changer for me!
Al
They look awesome Al. Hope all is well.
Thanks norm, it’s all good!
Al
Al, those look amazing! Never thought to try them on the Vortex. Yall keep giving me more ideas than I have time for! The mesquite did not give you too much of a bitter flavor?

P.S. - I hope the health issues don't hold you back any more and you get passed them soon!

- Jason
Thanks Jason, no, just the opposite, it had a mellow flavor. Don’t forget it was only in the smoke for 1 hour. I’m sure any wood would be fine, I just like the heavier smoke woods like oak & hickory. I’m good with the health, you know when those Dr.’s get to testing they don’t want to let go.
Al
They look excellent
Thanks Jim!
Al
Awesome job Al! I too just recently got around to trying them... so good!

Wish you the best with your health issues!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, I can’t believe it took me this long to try them. I guess I was stuck back in the day when low & slow was the only way to go.
Al

Glad you finally got to try them Al... I too was blown away with how well they turned out... I like mine just dry rubbed so they get the crispy/crunchy bark... Charlotte likes hers suaced so I do them half and half...

Glad to hear you overcome the health issues... I know the feeling... Been out of work since Feb 4th with issues, But all is well now... Back to work Tue. Really not looking foward to it as I was enjoying "semi retirement".. 2.5 years to go for full retirement...

I really don’t see myself cooking ribs any other way from now on, this was just too easy and too good

I have to totally agree with this... I can do them in the middle of the week now after work...

Reactions: JLeonard
View attachment 697358
View attachment 697357
View attachment 697356
View attachment 697355
View attachment 697353
View attachment 697354
View attachment 697359

View attachment 697361
Al
those look awesome. would never think to try. I have a hard time trimming slabs to fit on my 18.5

Reactions: SmokinAl
Nice Al . Yup , those are the good ones . Starting to see them more around here .
Thanks for posting , and feel better bud .

Those sure look great Al and love some Killer Hogs flavor!
Don't have a kettle or vortex but gotta 'em in individual cuts.
Glad you feeling better and stay away from the white coats😆.

Keith

View attachment 697358
View attachment 697357
View attachment 697356
View attachment 697355
View attachment 697353
View attachment 697354
View attachment 697359

View attachment 697361
Al
I agree. Tried it myself and am sold. So much easier, faster and tastier. Yours look great Al. Nice work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky