Huevo de Armadillo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
First, I didn't know which forum to post this in. They are appetizers that have stuffed jalapenos like ABTs but aren't an ABT. The main ingredient is Chorizo which is pork and a sausage. Sigh. I chose this forum and if I am wrong, please feel free to move it as appropriate and chastise me as needed.

The smoke is a riff on Armadillo Eggs which are stuffed jalapenos encased in sausage. Instead of stuffing a whole jalapeno I wanted to use sections of jalapeno to make a smaller, appetizer sized egg. I used homemade Mexican chorizo instead of breakfast sausage and gave the name a Spanish translation.

I started by mixing cream cheese and sharp cheddar. I cut jalapenos into rings about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I removed the seeds and membranes and stuffed with the cheese.

Huevos De Armadillos 1.jpg

I formed the Chorizo around the jalapenos. I sprayed a tray with baking spray and put the balls on the tray. I put the tray in the freezer and froze for two hours. I took them out and put them in resealable plastic bag and stored in the freezer. You can keep them in the freezer and just take some out when you want to cook some.

Huevos De Armadillos 2.jpg

I preheated my smoker to 230 F and put the frozen eggs in the smoker. I smoked to an internal temperature of 155 to 160 F, a little over an hour. I brushed with barbecue sauce (I used Rufus Teague Honey Sweet) and smoked for 20 minutes longer.

Huevos De Armadillos 3.jpg

I let them sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Huevos De Armadillos 4.jpg
Huevos De Armadillos 5.jpg

The Verdict

These were fun and tasted great. My guests really liked them. I will make them again. I really love the fact I can make a bunch and keep them in the freezer to use as I need them.

Disco

I’d suggest you post this at my house in Texas. How soon can you get here Disco? Your typical high quality post. I’m clicking Like twice! B

Reactions: disco
Thanks, Bear. How is spring going out there?

Too much Rain!!!
Rained all night---Yard needs mowing again---Looked at weather prediction---They want rain every day for the next 9 days!! Be nice to have one day a week without rain so I can mow Grass!!

Bear

Disco that is a fantastic looking meatball.
? did you make the sausage fresh to do that.
Points for that
Richie

I was given a bbq box last year for Christmas. It had a few Rufus Teague sauces in it. Hadn’t tried it before, but I remember really liking the honey sauce.

Too much Rain!!!
Rained all night---Yard needs mowing again---Looked at weather prediction---They want rain every day for the next 9 days!! Be nice to have one day a week without rain so I can mow Grass!!

Bear
Think of a rainy day as a holiday from mowing!

Too much Rain!!!

Bear
Think of a rainy day as a holiday from mowing!

Disco that is a fantastic looking meatball.
? did you make the sausage fresh to do that.
Points for that
Richie
Thanks for the point, Richie. I have to make my own chorizo. They don't sell a lot of Mexican sausage in the Canadian Rockies!

I was given a bbq box last year for Christmas. It had a few Rufus Teague sauces in it. Hadn’t tried it before, but I remember really liking the honey sauce.
I quite like his sauces but have only tried a couple. They are hard to find here in the Canadian Rockies.

Well if your to shy to go to Texas, then how about VT.. After all we were part of the original French settlement. And we do have mountains, although they are a tad shorter.

Looks like a wonderful appetizer Disco,

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks great Disco. Will have to give them a try in the near future.

I like smoked meatballs and ABT's.

You cant go wrong with chorizo either. My last batch of ABT'S I made were with chorizo instead of ground sausage and they turned out great.

Awesome looking grub, Disco!
When I saw the title, I thought , no way he's not smoking an armadillo.
Those things are all over the place down here & there is no way I would ever eat one!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky