Huevo de Armadillo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well if your to shy to go to Texas, then how about VT.. After all we were part of the original French settlement. And we do have mountains, although they are a tad shorter.

Looks like a wonderful appetizer Disco,

Point for sure.

Chris
I appreciate the point.

I've always wanted to see that part of the US. Sounds beautiful! However, I have friends from Montana and they are a little rowdy for a quiet Canadian. I don't know if I could keep up with more 'mericans despite their friendliness and propensity to good whiskey.

Looks great Disco. Will have to give them a try in the near future.

I like smoked meatballs and ABT's.

You cant go wrong with chorizo either. My last batch of ABT'S I made were with chorizo instead of ground sausage and they turned out great.
Thanks! I am addicted to chorizo. I haven't put them in ABTs yet and that is obviously an oversight! It also makes great enchiladas by the way.

Awesome looking grub, Disco!
When I saw the title, I thought , no way he's not smoking an armadillo.
Those things are all over the place down here & there is no way I would ever eat one!
Al
Har! I would have to import one! No armadillos here in the Canadian Rockies. Although, we do have wild turkeys. I need to get a hunting buddy to get me one.

I didn't know you have armadillos in BC.

Awesome balls.
It's like this. I was walking through the supermarket parking lot and this guys whispers "Hey, you want something special? I got armadillo eggs!" They cost me a lot but were well worth it!

These look great, Disco. Care to share how you made the chorizo? Thanks.

Looks like a good recipe. It just went to the top of my to do list. Thank you.

Armadillos in Texas? Specifically Switerland? I refer you to Marvin Pontiac.

In a car in a car in a small small car in a small car in a car in a small car in a small car in driv'n

I'm sure I will. I'll make the chorizo first and if I don't eat it all, I want to try your cheese stuffed jalapeño stuffed chorizo balls. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I'm sure I will. I'll make the chorizo first and if I don't eat it all, I want to try your cheese stuffed jalapeño stuffed chorizo balls. I'll let you know how they turn out.
Har! Eat and enjoy!

Made the chorizo and the balls last weekend. Both turned out great. Thank you very much. Made 3 lbs of sausage and used 95% to make the balls. The jalapeños were huge and the balls were too. Cooked half and froze the other half. My daughter and sil were visiting and ended up taking the leftovers ,as well as, the frozen ones home with them. Now I have to make more.

Man I clicked on this tread because I was expecting to see an armadillo getting stuffed into a grinder:(

Oh well, the eggs look tasty. I may have to make some up this weekend.

First, I didn't know which forum to post this in. They are appetizers that have stuffed jalapenos like ABTs but aren't an ABT. The main ingredient is Chorizo which is pork and a sausage. Sigh. I chose this forum and if I am wrong, please feel free to move it as appropriate and chastise me as needed.

The smoke is a riff on Armadillo Eggs which are stuffed jalapenos encased in sausage. Instead of stuffing a whole jalapeno I wanted to use sections of jalapeno to make a smaller, appetizer sized egg. I used homemade Mexican chorizo instead of breakfast sausage and gave the name a Spanish translation.

I started by mixing cream cheese and sharp cheddar. I cut jalapenos into rings about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I removed the seeds and membranes and stuffed with the cheese.

View attachment 363554

I formed the Chorizo around the jalapenos. I sprayed a tray with baking spray and put the balls on the tray. I put the tray in the freezer and froze for two hours. I took them out and put them in resealable plastic bag and stored in the freezer. You can keep them in the freezer and just take some out when you want to cook some.

View attachment 363559

I preheated my smoker to 230 F and put the frozen eggs in the smoker. I smoked to an internal temperature of 155 to 160 F, a little over an hour. I brushed with barbecue sauce (I used Rufus Teague Honey Sweet) and smoked for 20 minutes longer.

View attachment 363561

I let them sit for 5 minutes before serving.

View attachment 363562 View attachment 363563
The Verdict

These were fun and tasted great. My guests really liked them. I will make them again. I really love the fact I can make a bunch and keep them in the freezer to use as I need them.

Disco
Disco I adore your posts! Not only does your food look amazing, I am really impressed and inspired by your complete step by step recipes!
I'd be surprised if anybody ever took offence to where you post your wonderful creations.
Keep on sharing your droolworthy food!

Charlotte :D

Reactions: disco
Great post! It totally gives me the idea to do Armadillo Eggs but to stuff the Jalapenos with refried beans and cheese!!!!
I would just season the meat to be taco meat.
Oooh or do another type where I would also do some Jalapenos stuffed with a mixture of mashed up corn chips, rice, black or pinto beans, pico de gallo, and cheese.
Why have I not done this yet!!?!?!?

Reactions: disco
Made the chorizo and the balls last weekend. Both turned out great. Thank you very much. Made 3 lbs of sausage and used 95% to make the balls. The jalapeños were huge and the balls were too. Cooked half and froze the other half. My daughter and sil were visiting and ended up taking the leftovers ,as well as, the frozen ones home with them. Now I have to make more.
Glad you liked them! If you give food to your kids have you considered adopting a fat old Canadian!

Man I clicked on this tread because I was expecting to see an armadillo getting stuffed into a grinder:(

Oh well, the eggs look tasty. I may have to make some up this weekend.
What? You don't like ground armadillo?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky