Chourico Recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KeithLBPI

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 12, 2018
Fairly new to making sausage, done a few batches of hot Italian and sticks. Got 10lbs of venison in the freezer and shot a 175lb pig last night turning into all sausage.

I've seen many recipes here although never a chourico recipe (not chorizo). Has anyone tried?

Planning on hot Italian sausage, summer sausage, breakfast sausage and not sure what else yet. But interested in this as it's one of our favorites.

I don't even bother as I live a stones throw from Fall River and I get all my chourico from Gene's Market,made in house.
Definitely miss New England. Only Publix has it down here.

Definitely miss New England. Only Publix has it down here.
Tough to find good chourico outside of the Mass/RI area. Pretty sure both Genes and Amarals do mail order. Don't know if the bigger outfits like Michaels or Gaspars do mail-order.

Reactions: crazymoon
I may give this a try as well. Grind through the kidney plate and I would also use cure #1 at .25% otherwise this looks tasty.
If you do post the recipe you used here and what you think. I'll do the same

Reactions: SmokinEdge
If you do post the recipe you used here and what you think. I'll do the same
Yup, I will, but I’ve never had it so will just carry the spirit of the recipe and be as honest as I can be. I’ll use Spanish sweet paprika that I have on hand. That recipe I linked to was for 64# meat, I’ll break that down to 1 Kg and follow with spice. Something manageable in the home kitchen.

KeithLBPI KeithLBPI , couple questions. I have a recipe broke down to 1 Kg, this is very garlic forward correct? Also very paprika forward? I’m mixing this tonight.

KeithLBPI KeithLBPI , couple questions. I have a recipe broke down to 1 Kg, this is very garlic forward correct? Also very paprika forward? I’m mixing this tonight.
Seems to be. I personally didn't realize how garlic heavy it is, but paprika most definitely. Keep me updated!

Seems to be. I personally didn't realize how garlic heavy it is, but paprika most definitely. Keep me updated!
For 1 Kg pork.

Grind through kidney plate.
Salt) 1.5%
Cure #1) .25%
Black pepper) 4g
Paprika) 12g
Pimenton ) 4g (Spanish smoked paprika, La dalia)
Cayenne) 3g ( I used chipotle powder)
minced garlic) 2 cloves
Red wine) 7ml
White wine) 7ml
Ice water) 120ml

This is what I have,

IMG_1771.jpeg

I've been trying to follow, but was out of town for a few days.

Did you smoke the batch?

Reducing batch size in seasoning is a crap shoot at times.
I did not smoke this batch. And yes I broke the recipe down by my best experienced guess. Not knowing the original flavor profile is the big hill, but that said, this sausage is delicious and would be even better with smoke. Actually, smoke would elevate this sausage tremendously. I’m not done playing with this recipe for sure. I ate some tonight and was very satisfied with a pan fry poach finish.

The recipe as I posted above is a keeper for sure. I let the mixed batter set for about 36 hours before I started working with it. I’m not a big fan of the large grind texture up front. It would be fine with about 25% of the grind through a 1/8” plate just to pull it all together, then smoke. It’s good though.

I did not smoke this batch. And yes I broke the recipe down by my best experienced guess. Not knowing the original flavor profile is the big hill, but that said, this sausage is delicious and would be even better with smoke. Actually, smoke would elevate this sausage tremendously. I’m not done playing with this recipe for sure. I ate some tonight and was very satisfied with a pan fry poach finish.

The recipe as I posted above is a keeper for sure. I let the mixed batter set for about 36 hours before I started working with it. I’m not a big fan of the large grind texture up front. It would be fine with about 25% of the grind through a 1/8” plate just to pull it all together, then smoke. It’s good though.
It looks like it taste good! I'm interested to see how this compares to the store bought when I make.

i dont have a kidney plate but will course grind it. Thanks for sharing.

It looks like it taste good! I'm interested to see how this compares to the store bought when I make.

i dont have a kidney plate but will course grind it. Thanks for sharing.
The hand cut meat texture is a bit different. I make some Polish sausage as Lisiecka and Krakowska which has even larger pieces of meat but always has a small percentage that is fine ground to help bind it together. This makes for a good bite and well formed sausage. I’ll do it again that way, in any case this is delicious.

I'm waiting for the photos of either of you hand stuffing the casings using a funnel.
That alone is a labor of love and tradition.
That’s so funny and true. I actually stuffed these with my jerky gun, it’s a long story on the stuffer but today have a new electric. But when I jumped into this thread all I had available was the jerky cannon. So kinda ruffing it. I’ve stuffed them with funnel or on larger casings with spoons, it all gets done in the end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky