how long in brine for chicken??

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by expat smoker, May 30, 2013.

1. expat smoker

expat smoker Smoke Blower

I was planning to slow smoke a couple of chickens tomorrow and was going with a recipe that said 12 to 24 hrs in the brine, so I made up a brine with 1/2 cup salt, 1/2+ cups sugar and a lot of herbs etc in about a half gal liquid.  Ready to smoke tomorrow, but my daughter came home from school and says that she needs my favorite charcoal basket for a school project. Papa can't say no, so I was wondering if 36 hrs would be too long in the brine or should I try another basket??

And....to inject or not to inject the brine??

Thanks in advance............

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Don't Inject and bump the water to 1 Gallon and you will be fine. I have had similar events causing an overnight brine to go 4 days with no issues using 1/2C Salt per Gallon Water.  Don't forget you need a solid day OUT of the brine on a rack in the refer, to get the skin dry enough to crisp up in the Smoker or Oven...JJ

3. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

I don't know your cooker but i don't think i'll ever brine a chicken again.  This is one i cooked last night and it was way way past dripping wet. 

4. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

A moist Chicken, why complain[​IMG]  I enjoy a Bird that drips juice.

As stated , your time is relative .Anything over 2hrs. ,for me is good, 24 even beter. JMHO [​IMG]

5. bruno994

bruno994 Master of the Pit

As far as your current dilemma, I agree with Chef Jimmy that you should be fine as long as the water ratio is 1 gallon to 1/2 cup salt.  I brine all my chicken for comps for more than 12 hours (we cook chicken halves here in Texas) and I use only 2 quarts of water to 1 cup of salt so that I can get as much moisture and as much flavor deep into the meat for that one bite that a judge will take.  As Chef also stated, allow the chicken to dry for a day or so prior to cooking, really helps with the skin.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  6. expat smoker

Thanks C JimmyJ,

now I can get a good night's sleep and relax tomorrow.  Totally forgot about the pelicle....duuh.  This was an impulse smoke project and my last was successful even when I injected it. I might give one of the chicken breasts an injection tomorrow morning as a test.....at hr16, then at hr 24, I'll remove it from the brine and let it sit over night.

I usually cut my chicken down the backbone and splay it on the grill with skin up and it seems to speed up the cooking.

FYI, what's wrong with wet?? I would rather have it wet than dry.....haha

Thanks again guys.............

will post the results and maybe a pic if I can figure out this pic posting on this forum.

7. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Hi expat.

JJ and the guys have got your covered...good luck!  And don't forget the qview!   [​IMG]

Red

8. expat smoker

Another question re: rubs............should it be applied after taking it out of the brine or after it has set for a few hrs??  plan to use a dry Jamaican jerk rub.