Canadian Bacon - miscalculations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
Bought 2 Costco pork loins on sale. Did a wet brine - Pops brine
Miscalculations:
1 Do to work schedule had to leave in brine 2 days longer than I wanted. So had to soak in 24 hrs to remove salt.
2 because of the extra day temps outside went from 24 degrees to 2 :)

Smoked at 180 for 1 hour
225 for 2 hours until IT was 145 +

Put in refrigerator while watching packers game. Just got finished slicing and vac sealing

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1926.jpeg
    IMG_1926.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1927.jpeg
    IMG_1927.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1928.jpeg
    IMG_1928.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1924.jpeg
    IMG_1924.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 02ebz06 and timray
Yours looks great.
Love loin bacon. Started 2 packages of tenderloin in a dry brine last night. Don't usually use tenderloin, but I got it cheaper than a cut up loin. Don't have the fridge or freezer space for a lot of meat.

From my understanding, Pop's brine is meant to be a long term cure. Perhaps us the lower salt version so if you go beyond the target date it doesn't need a water soak?

I use the daveomak daveomak posted pasteurizing temps to not go beyond 135°. Much juicier results.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yours looks great.
Love loin bacon. Started 2 packages of tenderloin in a dry brine last night. Don't usually use tenderloin, but I got it cheaper than a cut up loin. Don't have the fridge or freezer space for a lot of meat.

From my understanding, Pop's brine is meant to be a long term cure. Perhaps us the lower salt version so if you go beyond the target date it doesn't need a water soak?

I use the daveomak daveomak posted pasteurizing temps to not go beyond 135°. Much juicier results.
That’s a good suggestion. It did come out pretty good I think. Never made this before so not sure how it’s supposed to taste.

Dang! It’s ruined….just send it to me for proper disposal! 😉😂🤪
seriously it looks mighty fine to me!

Jim

1 Do to work schedule had to leave in brine 2 days longer than I wanted. So had to soak in 24 hrs to remove salt.

To avoid this problem, weigh the meat and water... Add 1.5-2% salt... Never too salty... It's called an "equilibrium" brine... Needs at least 5 days per inch of thickness of the meat... at ~37-38 deg. F...
A good rule is... Water should be 25-50% the weight of the meat...

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky