Hot Italian Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
For about six months I've been tinkering with this Italian sausage recipe and thought I'd pass it on if anyone is interested.
It's on the hot side, and a lot different then my goto Hot Italian sausage of BP fennel and garlic.

New Hot Italian Sausage
Grams
pork 1000.0
salt 15.0
black pepper 4.0
fennel cracked 4.0
fennel whole 1.0
garlic 5.0
hot pepper flakes 5.0
cayenne 4.0
ground anise 1.0
caraway 0.7
coriander 1.0
accent (tsp) ¾
water 85.0

I must be getting old, but I can't figure out the posting pic's thing.
new-italian-sausage-jpg.347748

Attachments

• new Italian sausage.JPG
    new Italian sausage.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,825
Last edited:
Thanks Dan... I'm gonna do it... How long should it sit in the refer to bloom... I'm wondering about the heat from the pepper flakes mingling well...

Hey Dave. I always go at least 24 hours, even then the spices are pretty intense. I typically refrig 36-48 then freeze and it has a much more matured flavor when cooked.

Thanks... I've noticed the pepper flakes take a Looooong time to mingle.. Kind of makes for a unique flavor blend.. one bite warm, bite #2 HOT... I'm getting to like it like that.. I don't think most folks like that...

Looks good! Have you noticed how variable the store-bought "Italian seasoning" can be? Some of them like Panzey's are heavy on the fennel, and others are heavy on the oregano.

Someone once told me, "I hate Italian food. There are only so many ways you can cook ground beef, onion and tomato." Their loss.

They sure look good!
Hot Italian sausage is our favorite sausage & the one we make the most of.
Al

Looks good, Dan! Hot Italian is also what I make the most (maybe because its the Mrs’ favorite). Hot enough to make your scalp sweat and if I tried a different recipe I’d be in trouble....

Hot Italian is also what I make the most (maybe because its the Mrs’ favorite). Hot enough to make your scalp sweat and if I tried a different recipe I’d be in trouble....

LOL that's the boat I'm in too!

They look great! I've been making my own sausage for a bit now and have gained so much from this forum.

I have a question. It looks like you stuffed those pretty tight. I do the same myself. But when I cook them I always get some meet squeezing out from the ends or sometimes the casing just splits in the middle. What is your method to cook these to prevent that from happening?

I stuff them a little loose, then when I link them i'll spin them up till the link is firm. It could be 5, 10, 20 rolls till the link is tight. I also refrigerate them for at least 24-48 hours so the linked ends dry, that keeps the meat in the casing when cooking. splitting could be over stuffing. As far as cooking, anyway works, except high heat.

Recipe looks great! i'm going to give it a try.
How would you compare the heat/flavor to Gianneli Hot Sausge?

How would you compare the heat/flavor to Gianneli Hot Sausge?
Much hotter then Gianelli's and better tasting. :DMy wife doesn't care for Gianelli but love this.
let me know what ya think of it... It does mellow out some over time and freezing.

Funny, I also have a ace 350..

It's got anise in it, so it should be an excellent Italian sausage. I see that left out of so many recipes and IMO it is an important part of the flavor. Saving this one to the recipe box!!!! Thanks

Good. I'm going to try this soon.

I have the Ace-350 and the At-Pro.

Where do you hunt?

I made this today after reading your post. Didn't have the accent so I left it out. Kept mine bulk. Had to try it. Very tasty, can't wait to sample again after two days in the fridge. Good job.

Gonna try this over the weekend. Don't have/use Accent. What's the purpose of it and is there something I can sub? Also, what's the reason for cracked fennel and whole fennel? Thanks, looking forward to this!

Accent is the trade name for MSG. It is a flavor enhancer. I left it out because I didn’t have it and the sausage was great. If I had it I would have put it in. As for the fennel, I would say more fennel more flavor. Very good sausage. I have the recipe in my folder. It’s a keeper.

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky