1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hot Italian Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by danmcg, Dec 17, 2017.

1. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

For about six months I've been tinkering with this Italian sausage recipe and thought I'd pass it on if anyone is interested.
    It's on the hot side, and a lot different then my goto Hot Italian sausage of BP fennel and garlic.

New Hot Italian Sausage
    Grams
    pork 1000.0
    salt 15.0
    black pepper 4.0
    fennel cracked 4.0
    fennel whole 1.0
    garlic 5.0
    hot pepper flakes 5.0
    cayenne 4.0
    ground anise 1.0
    caraway 0.7
    coriander 1.0
    accent (tsp) ¾
    water 85.0

I must be getting old, but I can't figure out the posting pic's thing.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks Dan... I'm gonna do it... How long should it sit in the refer to bloom... I'm wondering about the heat from the pepper flakes mingling well...

3. danmcg

Hey Dave. I always go at least 24 hours, even then the spices are pretty intense. I typically refrig 36-48 then freeze and it has a much more matured flavor when cooked.

4. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks... I've noticed the pepper flakes take a Looooong time to mingle.. Kind of makes for a unique flavor blend.. one bite warm, bite #2 HOT... I'm getting to like it like that.. I don't think most folks like that...

5. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good! Have you noticed how variable the store-bought "Italian seasoning" can be? Some of them like Panzey's are heavy on the fennel, and others are heavy on the oregano.

Someone once told me, "I hate Italian food. There are only so many ways you can cook ground beef, onion and tomato." Their loss.

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They sure look good!
    Hot Italian sausage is our favorite sausage & the one we make the most of.
    Al

7. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks good, Dan! Hot Italian is also what I make the most (maybe because its the Mrs’ favorite). Hot enough to make your scalp sweat and if I tried a different recipe I’d be in trouble....

8. danmcg

LOL that's the boat I'm in too!

9. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dan, Nice job on the sausage, I love my sausage on the hot side !

10. CarolinaQue

CarolinaQue Newbie

They look great! I've been making my own sausage for a bit now and have gained so much from this forum.

I have a question. It looks like you stuffed those pretty tight. I do the same myself. But when I cook them I always get some meet squeezing out from the ends or sometimes the casing just splits in the middle. What is your method to cook these to prevent that from happening?

11. danmcg

I stuff them a little loose, then when I link them i'll spin them up till the link is firm. It could be 5, 10, 20 rolls till the link is tight. I also refrigerate them for at least 24-48 hours so the linked ends dry, that keeps the meat in the casing when cooking. splitting could be over stuffing. As far as cooking, anyway works, except high heat.

12. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Smoking Fanatic

Recipe looks great! i'm going to give it a try.
    How would you compare the heat/flavor to Gianneli Hot Sausge?

13. danmcg

Much hotter then Gianelli's and better tasting. :DMy wife doesn't care for Gianelli but love this.
    let me know what ya think of it... It does mellow out some over time and freezing.

Funny, I also have a ace 350..

14. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It's got anise in it, so it should be an excellent Italian sausage. I see that left out of so many recipes and IMO it is an important part of the flavor. Saving this one to the recipe box!!!! Thanks

15. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Smoking Fanatic

Good. I'm going to try this soon.

I have the Ace-350 and the At-Pro.

Where do you hunt?

16. I too have made a Lot of Italian Sausages. Nothing better on Bun after they have been BBQed

17. ddufore

ddufore Meat Mopper

I made this today after reading your post. Didn't have the accent so I left it out. Kept mine bulk. Had to try it. Very tasty, can't wait to sample again after two days in the fridge. Good job.

18. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I agree on the Anise.

19. bobrap

bobrap Smoke Blower

Gonna try this over the weekend. Don't have/use Accent. What's the purpose of it and is there something I can sub? Also, what's the reason for cracked fennel and whole fennel? Thanks, looking forward to this!

20. ddufore

ddufore Meat Mopper

Accent is the trade name for MSG. It is a flavor enhancer. I left it out because I didn’t have it and the sausage was great. If I had it I would have put it in. As for the fennel, I would say more fennel more flavor. Very good sausage. I have the recipe in my folder. It’s a keeper.

danmcg likes this.