Hot Italian Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gonna try this over the weekend. Don't have/use Accent. What's the purpose of it and is there something I can sub? Also, what's the reason for cracked fennel and whole fennel? Thanks, looking forward to this!

Like ddufore said, the accent it a flavor enhancer and since I was trying to kick this recipe up a notch I added it. I rarely use it, but I have no fear of it, it's in many commercial products. If you don't have it don't use it, I can't say it makes a difference, I'd have to do a side by side taste test for that.

The two fennels is mainly because I love fennel, The cracked is for general flavor and the whole is to get a good hit of fennel every once in a while. there's no reason you couldn't just use the cracked.
Please let me know how you like it bobrap.

I don't have a problem with Accent/Msg either. I do eat Chinese :). Since I don't have Accent I wondered if there was something similar that I might have. I'm a fennel lover too. I have whole and ground. You think the same amount of ground as cracked would work?

I didn't have cracked fennel either so I cracked some in my spice grinder only it ended up being cracked real good if you know what I mean. Ground fennel in place of cracked will work IMHO.

Gonna try this out tomorrow . Brats , Polish , breakfast sausage I get good reviews on . Italian ,, I just can't seem to get it right .
This sounds like a good one . Do a batch as shown , and one without the pepper .

One tip I'll share is to always toast your whole fennel and anise seeds in a pan over med. heat. This REALLY brings the spices to life! Warms up the oils and brigs them out to the surface where they can really mix into the sausage. Old School Italian trick.,,,try it and you will like it.

Reactions: jcam222
One tip I'll share is to always toast your whole fennel and anise seeds in a pan over med. heat. This REALLY brings the spices to life! Warms up the oils and brigs them out to the surface where they can really mix into the sausage. Old School Italian trick.,,,try it and you will like it.

Great tip and it does make a difference.

Just don't "over" toast them like I did one time. Got distracted on a phone call. I was standing there moving the fennel and anise around and just not paying attention as to how "toasted" it was becoming. Oh brother that was a potent acrid smell..... Tossed them and toasted another batch. If you go too far, you will know it.

Dan , thanks a bunch . Did a batch as posted , and did one with no hot pepper . Fry test was perfect flavor for what I like .

Just wondering how long you guys let the meat sit in the fridge before stuffing. I was going for 48 hrs and stuff today. but, something came up. Think any problem if I put i off til tomorrow? Thanks, looking forward to this (as are a few buds :))

Opinions will vary, but It totally depends on how hot the cayenne runs. My home grown cayenne runs very hot so I adjust the amounts accordingly.

If the cayenne is light in color and not a dark red, the processor ground the seeds with the skins. That will make the cayenne powder hotter than normal. For a milder cayenne, what you want is a dark powder, which is just the skins and no seeds.

Just wondering how long you guys let the meat sit in the fridge before stuffing. I was going for 48 hrs and stuff today. but, something came up. Think any problem if I put i off til tomorrow? Thanks, looking forward to this (as are a few buds :))
I usually just go overnight, but it shouldn't make much difference, especially if you're using a cure. You will probably need to add a little water and re-mix because it will stiffen up a bit...

I grind, mix, stuff and then refrig for a day, sometimes two then freeze...No particular reason it's just the way I do it.

I ground yesterday , then fridge over night . Stuffed today , and back in fridge for the night .

I didn't have cracked fennel either so I cracked some in my spice grinder only it ended up being cracked real good if you know what I mean. Ground fennel in place of cracked will work IMHO.

I do the same thing. You get a more subtle and dispersed fennel taste throughout the link. This is a great idea for those that do not like the strong taste of fennel and anise, but still like Italian sausages. Another reason why I love making my own!

I still used the whole fennel in addition to the seed I cracked/ground.

If I wanted a spicy but not hot Italian should I cut the cayenne in half? Just guessing.
I left out the cayenne , but used the flake . So I would say cut back or leave it out . I did a batch with no pepper . It's awesome .

Reactions: oberst
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky