Hot Italian Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That’s some handy insight into determining relative cayenne heat by color indaswamp!.

Pulling out ingredients to make a batch of Jalapeno and chedder smoked goose and pork sausage and thought to snap a pic. for you:

DSC02452.JPG

Company processed cayenne (milder) on the left, Home grown ground (hotter; with seeds) on the right. Lighter the color, hotter it is....

Did this over the last weekend and came out pretty good. Never used anise before and thought the fennel was a bit low. so...added my normal amount of fennel seed and the anise. Don't think I'll do that again with the same quantities :oops:. Glad I like fennel/licorice. Used 32-35mm casings and they came out looking like kielbasi! What size casings do you guys use for Italian? Thought about getting some 29-32mm from Syracuse casing but worry they might be to thin/small. Thanks.

I like the 29-32's as there are a little more bun size. The sausage in the original post were 32-35's cause I was out of the smaller ones.

Also might depend on what brand casings you have . I bought a cheaper home pack that said 32 / 35 , but odd size and length in the bag . Some are close to 40 . I just pick thru them .

I like the 29-32's as there are a little more bun size. The sausage in the original post were 32-35's cause I was out of the smaller ones.

I guess I'll order the smaller casings. I have some of their 28+ sheep casings that I tried for some brats. Some folks thought them to be too "skinny".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky