Sausage Mix Review A.C. Leggs Sweet Italian Blend 101

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioguy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Here is a quick review of A.C. Leggs Sweet Italian Blend 101. I was wanting to try something different for an Italian sweet sausage. Amazon is so convenient since we have a large warehouse nearby. We had 22 pounds of trimmed pork shoulders. I mixed the seasoning in based upon the proper ratio, .32oz/pound. I added a little bit more. Mixed the sausage well and did a fry test and was a it was a little light on the fennel, black pepper and sweetness.

To adjust , I crushed and roasted some more fennel and added about 1 1/2 tsp/per pound. Added 1/4 tsp ground black pepper/pound and 2 TBS white sugar/ pound. Mixed and fry test again. Much, much better. I made about 6 pounds of "hot" by adding red pepper flakes and cayenne, added some "hot" Hungarian paprika for some more punch and color.

RG
20220412_154915.jpg 20220412_154937.jpg 20220412_153516.jpg

Nice looking sausage! I tried a couple pre-blended spice mixes, but I thought they were a little heavy on salt, so I just mix my own blends now. Spice levels are exactly where I want them to be, and when I blend a new batch, no need for a test fry because every batch turns out the same.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks great . I have the Hot Italian 103 from them . It's good .
Thanks for posting .

Al, thanks for the support. We have been having a lot of fun with this!

DougE, yes I just wanted to try Leggs italian. I have my own recipes for Italian and breakfast. I really stated getting best repeatability/consistency when I began weighing the spices.

Chop, We really like Leggs breakfast #10.

RG

i use "leggs seasoning " for polish sausage but found that i had to double the recommened amount in order to get a "good" flavor

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky