Homemade Corned Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man, that looks great. I would have never thougth to use a chuck but it would work better than rounds which to me are so inferior to a brisket or navel.

That's what puzzled me with this smoke. I cured the Chuck and then seasoned the chuch and the store bought corned beef the same... smoke them at the same time. Entirely different flavors. I cured a brisket and it tasted like pastrami but the chuck didn't. I would have thought they would have tasted the same or close to the same.

That is some good looking beef pastrami there Dave. I have made my own corned beef for awhile so I know what it's like. If I was anyone who hasn't made it and if you like corned beef. MAKE IT now I mean run out and get a brisket and make it. It's great and all things taste better when you make it at home from scratch.

corned beef can be made with any cut of beef, most store bought is made from brisket. either the point or flat and it will say on the package what cut it is. the flat is usually more expensive.
I like to make my homemade out of sirloin tip. its a better cut and leaner.
great for cold corn beef deli sammies and rubens
I have also corned deer rump roasts with great success , they taste fantastic

The proper way for corned beef is simmered till fork tender.

Yes, corned beef needs to be cooked after it is cured
you need to cook it low and slow to get the tender juiciness you desire.
you can back it or simmer it with cabbage or your favorite veggies.
I roast my corned beef @ 225* in a dutch oven or foil cover roasting pan
until its 185* I have a special slow roast oven but a conventional oven will work as well.
refrigerate and then slice for sammies!
my strami gets smoked @225* with cherry wood until its 160* then wrapped in foil with apple juice spritz, then slow roasted to 185* Just like the corned beef. I do turkey pastrami the same way

Great looking pastrami Dave, got me a nice chipotle brisket curing in the fridge right now.

Guess I was a bit late on this one but as others have said, corned beef is cured (usually brisket) meat, once you season and smoke it it becomes known as pastrami.
Nothing better than curing your own, everyone should give it a try, you won't regret it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky