Hey all! What's for Christmas dinner?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A little late here, but we just got back to bringing dinner to my dad. This is his third Christmas without Mom, and he recently was sentenced to a no sodium diet. I prepared cast iron skillet venison loin steaks and a crusty artisan bread with smoked, aged gouda and garlic, and the wife made asparagus and a mixed greens salad. It's tricky cooking without salt, but everything was delicious.

Nothing special but sure tasted good!

20221225_202001.jpg

Ryan

A little late here, but we just got back to bringing dinner to my dad. This is his third Christmas without Mom, and he recently was sentenced to a no sodium diet. I prepared cast iron skillet venison loin steaks and a crusty artisan bread with smoked, aged gouda and garlic, and the wife made asparagus and a mixed greens salad. It's tricky cooking without salt, but everything was delicious.
Good job.
I've been cooking and smoking very low sodium for about 20 years. After a couple years, you learn to drop the shaker and adjust. Cheese is the only item I haven't gotten an acceptable low sodium version. No sodium bread took a bit to learn for ok results.

Thank you! My wife asked what was wanted with supper...lol! Except for the peppers, I was gonna make them earlier this week but didn't happen so made them today before everything spoiled.
Merry Christmas to you as well!

Ryan

Supper?
I made chili WITH beans.
I wasn't planning to post a photo, but Ryan made me do it?
IMG_2772.JPG

The chili was a last minute put together. I had a package of ground beef in the fridge that probably wouldn't have lasted until a tomorrow meal. Wife wrinkled her nose when I browned it out, but enough onions, garlic and dry spices made it pass her nose test and declare the best chili I have ever made. Sometimes we get lucky?

Supper?
I made chili WITH beans.
I wasn't planning to post a photo, but Ryan made me do it?
View attachment 652401

The chili was a last minute put together. I had a package of ground beef in the fridge that probably wouldn't have lasted until a tomorrow meal. Wife wrinkled her nose when I browned it out, but enough onions, garlic and dry spices made it pass her nose test and declare the best chili I have ever made. Sometimes we get lucky?
Works for me! It was this forum...they taught me! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Well, a little late, but just saw it. We did a wagyu NY roast for Christmas Eve, then it’s left overs on Christmas Day along with cini rolls and the like.

We will be eating lots of NY dip samiches from the second roast we did this week……

Follow up to the rib roast yesterday. I transported it whole to the m-i-l's house and sliced there, about 15 minutes away. Sorry no sliced pics as I was pretty busy trying to get it to the table. Oh, and also bandage my finger. Yep, the very last slice, I got myself pretty good.
And as we know, timing is everything, and my wife distinctly told me that it was starting at 1pm. That's why I was up at 6.
So I had everything done perfectly and ready to go at 12:45. I asked her, "Aren't you ready yet?"
She says, "Why? We don't have to be over there until 2."
Augh! So, instead of med-rare, it sliced more to medium. But it was still a big hit.
First pic is right out of the GMG. Second is after 10 minutes in the oven at 500°.
20221225_112628.jpg
20221225_115020.jpg

I'm late to this party, as well. I smoked a whole bone-in beef rib, mac & cheese, broccoli salad, green beans and potatoes, brown rice, roasted vegetables, and dinner rolls. Not many pics, but here's some...

Whole rib trimmed
20221225_082052[1].jpg

My best friend removed the bones and then tied them back on. Coated with EVOO and seasoned with a mix of chopped fresh Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, garlic, coarse salt and pepper.
20221225_115004[1].jpg

On the smoker with white oak until I.T. of about 115℉ then into a 450℉ oven to get a crust. Sliced and ready to serve
image000001[1].jpg

My best friend took these pictures and there was just too much going on for me to take any. With 25 people and 5 dogs, this place was like a zoo, but we love it that way.

This was my first time cooking since my shoulder surgery about 5 weeks ago even though I'm under strict orders not to use my right arm at all. I had a lot of help with everything and am grateful for it. I used my Ok Joe Highland because I can raise the lid with one arm...

I'm late to this party, as well. I smoked a whole bone-in beef rib, mac & cheese, broccoli salad, green beans and potatoes, brown rice, roasted vegetables, and dinner rolls. Not many pics, but here's some...

Whole rib trimmed
View attachment 652493
My best friend removed the bones and then tied them back on. Coated with EVOO and seasoned with a mix of chopped fresh Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, garlic, coarse salt and pepper.
View attachment 652495
On the smoker with white oak until I.T. of about 115℉ then into a 450℉ oven to get a crust. Sliced and ready to serve
View attachment 652496
My best friend took these pictures and there was just too much going on for me to take any. With 25 people and 5 dogs, this place was like a zoo, but we love it that way.

This was my first time cooking since my shoulder surgery about 5 weeks ago even though I'm under strict orders not to use my right arm at all. I had a lot of help with everything and am grateful for it. I used my Ok Joe Highland because I can raise the lid with one arm...
Glad you had the help...meal looks spectacular! We didn't have that many people but did have 5 big dogs...2 are grand babies I guess lol!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky