Herring Roe Fried with Bacon (Air Fryer)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Herring Roe Fried with Bacon (Air Fryer)

This is going to be a First for me, as I always made Shad Roe “Fresh”.
However getting ahold of Shad Roe is all but Impossible nowadays.
I used to get it in Restaurants, which would remind me of when My Dad & I used to catch Shad in the Delaware River, in Spring during their Spawning Run up the River, on the Eastern border of PA.
There were a bunch of restaurants that served Shad Roe in Spring. One was feature in a Fine Dining magazine, which cause people to flock from all around to "The Inn of The Sorrel Horse" for the Shad Roe Delicacy.
Then eventually most of the restaurants quit serving Shad Roe, because it got to be too expensive from their Wholesalers.
Back around 2009, I got 25 sets from a Seafood Distributor for $7.50 a set.
Then 2 years later I got 7 sets at Giant Market for $10 per set
I pan fried some with Bacon , and then a few weeks later I Broiled some with Bacon.
Then I Pan Fried some Loose with Bacon, and that was Awesome Too!!
And Finally I experimented with curing some “Loose” and Pan Fried that load, and it too was Great !!

Links to those mentioned above:
Shad Roe (Pan Fried)
Shad Roe (Broiled with Bacon on Toast)
Shad Roe (Pan Fried Loose with Bacon)
Shad Roe (Cured & Pan Fried Loose)

Since those days, my shopping turned up no Shad Roe in any of my Stores. I haven’t been able to find any Wholesalers either. So I called Giant, and they weren’t interested in getting any in, and I called Weis, and they said if they were able to get any they would have to charge about $20 per set for them.

So about a year ago, I was talking to Warren “Half-Smoked”, and he said to try Herring Roe, if I could find some.
So I did some research, and found some Canned Herring Roe from Virginia for about $9 for an 8 ounce Can.
Since the shelf life is 4 years, I got myself a case of 12 cans for about $100.

So I fried some up with some Bacon, and it was OK, but not Great.
Then I found a couple recipes mixed with Egg & Bread Crumbs, and that was not good. (threw this out back for the Birds)

So I finally tried a can fried in my Air Fryer #360, and that was Great, so I’ll do a little Step by Step on that below, just in case one of you guys isn’t too scared to try it.

So Here we go:

Herring Roe In My Air Fryer

I’d much rather be making Fresh Shad Roe in my Air Fryer, but if you paid attention above you know I’m kinda stuck with Canned Herring Roe. I wish I would have had this “Air Fryer #360” when I was able to lay my hands on Fresh Shad Roe, but I guess that’s the way it goes.

So I opened the Can of Herring Roe. Then drain & squeeze the packing juices out.
Spread out on my Air Fryer Baking Pan, and set at 360° for 30 minutes.
At 10 minutes, after the Roe was slightly browned, I remove the Pan & covered the Roe with a layer of Bacon.
At 16 minutes I removed the Pan, took out the Roe, and Flipped the Bacon over & put it back in for 6 minutes to finish.
So all the Roe & all the bacon was done in a Total of 22 minutes, and it was Great!!
I plated the Roe & Bacon with 2 scrambled Eggs & 2 slices of Toast, with Jelly (Black Raspberry & Apricot).

GREAT BREAKFAST For The Bear!!

Bear

One 8 ounce can of "Tidewater" Herring Roe:
IMG_4762.jpg

Drained & spread out on Baking Pan:
IMG_4768.jpg

Set @ 360° for 30 minutes:
IMG_4769.jpg

Slightly browned after 10 minutes---Removed Pan:
IMG_4770.jpg

Covered Roe with Bacon & put back in Air Fryer:
IMG_4771.jpg

Removed Roe & put Bacon back in for 6 minutes, after flipping Bacon:
IMG_4772.jpg

Plated Roe & Bacon:
IMG_4773.jpg

Another shot of plated Roe & Bacon:
IMG_4774.jpg

Toasted 2 slices of Bread:
IMG_4775.jpg

Bear's Breakfast; Air Fried Herring Roe with Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, and 2 slices of Toast, with Black Raspberry & Apricot Jellies:
IMG_4776.jpg

Looks good!! Only roe I’ve eaten is bluegill when I was younger. We would catch them when spawning and fry up the spawn sacs. I might have to give this herring roe a try

I used to catch Shad in the American River by the dozen and let them go, too bony to deal with, That's a fine looking breakfast Bear, Like! RAY

looks like a tasty breakfast bear, I think the only roe I ever had was perch, if I remember right it was poached in milk with salt and pepper, but that was a long time ago so maybe my memory is screwed up :emoji_confused: ,

Looks good!! Only roe I’ve eaten is bluegill when I was younger. We would catch them when spawning and fry up the spawn sacs. I might have to give this herring roe a try

Thank You Joe!!
I love all The Roe "Fried or Broiled" that I ever had.
My Favorites are Sucker, Shad, & Herring.
But Bluegill, Perch, Bass (All kinds), Crappies are good too, but the sacks aren't very big.

Bear

Reactions: jcam222
Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I've never had shad or herring roe. I will say this though, I'd dive head first into a plate of that!! Looks real good Bear.

Thinking I may have to give it a try,
Robert

Awesome we use to catch herring by the basket full in the spring run and shad too.
Even carry herring roe sammies for lunch.

Warren

Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I've never had shad or herring roe. I will say this though, I'd dive head first into a plate of that!! Looks real good Bear.

Thinking I may have to give it a try,
Robert

Thank You Robert!!
Like I told Joe, above:
I love all The Roe "Fried or Broiled" that I ever had.
My Favorites are Sucker, Shad, & Herring.
But Bluegill, Perch, Bass (All kinds), Crappies are good too, but the sacks aren't very big.
I actually never had Herring Roe before, until I gave up trying to find Shad Roe, and was forced to get these cans off the Internet. And I found the best way to make it is in the Air Fryer.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks Good Bear, I've never had any kind of roe, But I'd sure give it a whirl
Gotta be good with Bacon

I "LIKE" it

Gary

Bear likes his jelly!!! Looks different! I'd eat it...

Thank You Rip!!!
LOL---I put extra Jelly on for the Picture.

Bear

I used to catch Shad in the American River by the dozen and let them go, too bony to deal with, That's a fine looking breakfast Bear, Like! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
My Dad used to make the Shad a certain way, that the bones would dissolve, and you could eat them, but you're right, they sure are Bony. However the best part "Roe" doesn't have any bones. The ones that run the Delaware are between 19" & 26", and have huge sacks of Roe in them. Just can't buy them any more.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks awesome Bear! Really great step by step as well!

Thank You Travis!!

Bear

looks like a tasty breakfast bear, I think the only roe I ever had was perch, if I remember right it was poached in milk with salt and pepper, but that was a long time ago so maybe my memory is screwed up :emoji_confused: ,

Thank You Jim!!
Yup---Perch Roes is Good---Small but Tasty!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Awesome we use to catch herring by the basket full in the spring run and shad too.
Even carry herring roe sammies for lunch.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
You're a lucky guy with your seafood access.
And Thanks for the Tip about Trying Herring Roe.
It's not as good as Shad Roe, but it sure is a good stand-in when I can't get Shad Roe.
It's plenty good, made in the Air Fryer, and I wish I could get some Sets of Fresh Shad Roe, so I could make them in the Air Fryer. It's bound to be even better than Pan Fried or Broiled!!
And Thanks for the Like too.

Bear

The Herring our in the bays here right now. A friend went out yesterday and they jigged up 200 of them. Not sure how many were females. They'll pickle the herring and vacpack the roe.

Looks Good Bear, I've never had any kind of roe, But I'd sure give it a whirl
Gotta be good with Bacon

I "LIKE" it

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I know you'd like it, if it was Prepped & made right.
Some say it's too strong, but those people don't prep it right.
This canned stuff doesn't need the same prepping that the fresh Shad Roe needs.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

The Herring our in the bays here right now. A friend went out yesterday and they jigged up 200 of them. Not sure how many were females. They'll pickle the herring and vacpack the roe.

WE used to catch a lot of Herring, when I was a Kid, but now it's not legal, because of a low population. However the American Shad are still going good in the Delaware River.
The Stripers enjoy the Herring Run too, as they knock a lot of them down.
I don't know what happens in our Bay---We only ever fished the River itself.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky