Help, need to figure this out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerkyman456

Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
So....for a little backstory. I have a goto marinade but would like to try and make other "flavors" of jerky. I typically dust my batch with cayenne pepper for a little extra kick   I tried a "Saracha" marinade but it was so gross I gave the batch away! I also tried a wasabi and soy marinade and the soy over powered everything and rendered that whole batch useless as well!!! I've resorted to dusting the top of my batch with different flavors but the issue I think the smoker nullifies the flavors I dusted..... I've tried the following dusting with no results

- Cracked white pepper

- Jalapeno powder

- Wasabi powder

I want to also try making a salt and vinegar jerky. I know I'm getting a little risky but think it would be good

Can anyone please explain to me how I can incorporate different flavors and have them shine through! I am currently using apple or pecan wood. I stay away from mesquite as I've heard it gives an even stronger smoke taste.

Any feedback or tips are much appreciated as I am out of idea's at this point!!!

What kind of smoker are you using?

If it's anything but a stick burner then just leave the wood out & you won't get any smoke flavor at all.

Or get a dehydrator for your jerky.

I'm no jerky expert, so maybe someone with a better answer will be along shortly.

In the meantime would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself, so we can all welcome you to SMF!

Al

Soy will overpower pretty much anything you add. I would recommend getting away from the soy unless you are making teriyaki.

One of the best ways to get flavors or different flavors is by using dry rubs after you cure or marinate. The following recipe is a good base to start. I will add other dry spices right before I smoke if I want to. Most of the time though I don't. This recipe is for a 1 pound batch. Scale the recipe according to how many pounds you have. I do add prague cure #1 at a ratio of 1 teaspoon (5.67 grams) per 5 pounds of meat.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/233270/thai-jerky

Here is a handy calculator to determine how much cure you need if you have odd weights of meat. For the jerky ignore the salt and sugar portion of the calculator.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Now for you vinegar jerky you need to start your reading here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Biltong&=Search

This is my go to recipe for venison jerky. I usually marinate for a minimum of 24 hrs

5 lbs meat

1/4 cup lite soy sauce

1/2 cup dark beer (guiness extra stout)

1/4 cup Allegro marinade "hot & spicy"

1 cup brown sugar

1 tablespn granulated garlic

1 tablespn gan onion powder

1 tsp cayenne

​Awesome thank you for the researech points! I will get to studying!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky