Happy wife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
I smoked the cheese and my wife is very happy with it. Tastes good but a little strong. Just vac sealed and put to sleep.

Mexican manchego, Dutch Gouda with carriway seeds
And mild cheddar
5F44B7CF-8EA6-49EF-8CE5-43FBBF57650A.jpeg

On the Weber
F6D57571-9170-480F-9C83-A4018F8B5562.jpeg

Four and half hours later
50887678-590C-4BDB-9B3C-3439D0313054.jpeg

Next day vac sealed. Will let it rest for three weeks.
29CB1630-16E0-44C6-A62A-E39415309F3E.jpeg
One piece was “tasted”.

Now the wife asks, what are you going to smoke next? Any suggestions? I’ve done briskets, chucklies, lamb shoulder and kababs and kuftas, rib roasts with and without bone, chicken, turkey, salmon (lox), and now cheese, help. But remember, I keep kosher so no pork or shellfish.
As always looking forward to input from the “smoking brotherhood (and sisterhood)”.
Thanks

Smoked salt, and butter are a big hit with my group. One of my "go to's" is to inject and rub an eye of round. Smoke at 225 until IT of around 125. Slice super thin for some great roast beef sammies.

I smoked the cheese and my wife is very happy with it. Tastes good but a little strong. Just vac sealed and put to sleep.

Now the wife asks, what are you going to smoke next? Any suggestions? I’ve done briskets, chucklies, lamb shoulder and kababs and kuftas, rib roasts with and without bone, chicken, turkey, salmon (lox), and now cheese, help. But remember, I keep kosher so no pork or shellfish.
As always looking forward to input from the “smoking brotherhood (and sisterhood)”.
Thanks

That Cheese should mellow out in a couple weeks.

Here ya go---This is always a Winner:
Dried Beef (Best Ever)

Bear

How about some smoked side dishes. Sweet potatoes, smashed potatoes, mac & cheese, baked bean. Use your own recipe or checkout the side dish forum for plenty of great recipes.

Try some venison, elk, bear, squirrel, grouse, pheasant. Heck, go for a mountain man smoked meal, coon or possum with a side of grits with some of that smoked cheese you got, for a good cheese grits. An don't forget the collard greens.

Smoked mac and cheese and green beans are a big hit at my home. And don't forget smoked (bbq) beans. Oh, man, I'm salivating just thinking of the possibilities.

Thanks for all the input and great ideas. Leaning towards the beans as a thanksgiving side. Spachcocked turkey on the big joe also. Love the idea of adding bhut jaloka but while I’m a chilie head, my wife and the kids not so much. ;)

My wife is not crazy for smoked cheese but went nuts over beef ribs. Would do them all the time but pricey here. Let's not forget pastrami... That said, I see you smoked turkey but have you done a cured one? That's what I do this time of year especially with them so cheap and plentiful. Very rich and decadent. Think appetizer not meal. Check out Pop's brine. I like the low salt.

Forgot to mention that pastrami is a regular feature. I think my secret goal is to be my own Jewish deli. But cured smoked turkey sounds interesting. How does the curing change the flavor probfile of the bird? Also is the entire bird, the breast, or dark meat best for this treatment?

Cured bird has a similar flavor to pastrami without all the spice of course. I prefer the cured dark meat and am usually a white meat guy but the whole bird is good. Ideally, if you can get drums cheap, I'd just do them but drums alone are a rip off here. Whole birds are $.30/lb. If you go to holiday parties and bring food or host, this stuff is the BOMB. Simply slice cold bird and put on a tray.

Now the wife asks, what are you going to smoke next?
Some you might be interested in .
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-chex-mix.270283/#post-1772012
I've done this with the bottom of the bag hand fulls that the kids leave behind . Pretzels , cheese its , gold fish . All mixed together .
This will give you the basic idea . I use brown sugar and red pepper on mine . They don't last long .
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/apple-smoked-spiced-nuts-foamheart.270840/

These don't last long either
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/driedsticks-pretzels-with-a-kick.153998/

Just something to think about , all worth doing .
Chop

Forgot to mention that pastrami is a regular feature. I think my secret goal is to be my own Jewish deli. But cured smoked turkey sounds interesting. How does the curing change the flavor probfile of the bird? Also is the entire bird, the breast, or dark meat best for this treatment?
I went thru some chicken testing awhile back . Cured with Pop's brine , Daves veg stock injection , and Morton's Tender quick .. all very good , but different . The taste will depend on you , what you use to cure , and add to the cure .
One thing to know is that a fully cured , fully cooked whole bird will have pink . People think it's not cooked .
Pop's brine . This was done in the oven .
20180121_175658.jpg 20180121_181546.jpg

Daves Veg stock injection , smoked mes 30
20180128_135158.jpg 20180129_162035.jpg
You can see the difference in the two . Color , texture . Look at The Pop's bird . Whole on the board no juice . Cut pic , you can see juices on the board .

The cut pic of the Phosphate injected bird ( Dave's method ) no juice on the board . Stays in the meat .
I cure almost all of my chicken parts in Pop's brine . Then on to the grill .

Reactions: zwiller
chopsaw chopsaw Agreed, phosphate rocks on poultry. Can I get your opinion?

I am working on a sorta Omak/Pops method. I have spent some time running some numbers trying to breakdown Pop's into Dave's by weight method with added phosphate. Last thoughts are:
1.75% salt (2% with cure into account)
1.5% brown sugar
1.5% white sugar
.5% phosphate
.25% cure

How's that look?

Cured bird has a similar flavor to pastrami without all the spice of course. I prefer the cured dark meat and am usually a white meat guy but the whole bird is good. Ideally, if you can get drums cheap, I'd just do them but drums alone are a rip off here. Whole birds are $.30/lb. If you go to holiday parties and bring food or host, this stuff is the BOMB. Simply slice cold bird and put on a tray.

Turkey pastrami? Could I? Dare I? Shall I? I believe so

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky