1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Happy wife

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by cooker613, Nov 19, 2018.

1. cooker613

cooker613 Meat Mopper

I smoked the cheese and my wife is very happy with it. Tastes good but a little strong. Just vac sealed and put to sleep.

Mexican manchego, Dutch Gouda with carriway seeds
    And mild cheddar
    5F44B7CF-8EA6-49EF-8CE5-43FBBF57650A.jpeg

On the Weber
    F6D57571-9170-480F-9C83-A4018F8B5562.jpeg

Four and half hours later
    50887678-590C-4BDB-9B3C-3439D0313054.jpeg

Next day vac sealed. Will let it rest for three weeks.
    29CB1630-16E0-44C6-A62A-E39415309F3E.jpeg
    One piece was “tasted”.

Now the wife asks, what are you going to smoke next? Any suggestions? I’ve done briskets, chucklies, lamb shoulder and kababs and kuftas, rib roasts with and without bone, chicken, turkey, salmon (lox), and now cheese, help. But remember, I keep kosher so no pork or shellfish.
    As always looking forward to input from the “smoking brotherhood (and sisterhood)”.
    Thanks

2. Wadda bout soups, stews, chili, jerky, summer sausage, chicken wings smoked then deep fried?

3. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Smoked salt, and butter are a big hit with my group. One of my "go to's" is to inject and rub an eye of round. Smoke at 225 until IT of around 125. Slice super thin for some great roast beef sammies.

4. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That Cheese should mellow out in a couple weeks.

Here ya go---This is always a Winner:
    Dried Beef (Best Ever)

Bear

5. If you enjoy spicy foods adding a few grams of dried and ground Bhut Jolokia's (uring the cure phase) to Bear's dried beef recipe takes it to another level.

6. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

How about some smoked side dishes. Sweet potatoes, smashed potatoes, mac & cheese, baked bean. Use your own recipe or checkout the side dish forum for plenty of great recipes.

7. Try some venison, elk, bear, squirrel, grouse, pheasant. Heck, go for a mountain man smoked meal, coon or possum with a side of grits with some of that smoked cheese you got, for a good cheese grits. An don't forget the collard greens.

8. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Smoked mac and cheese and green beans are a big hit at my home. And don't forget smoked (bbq) beans. Oh, man, I'm salivating just thinking of the possibilities.

9. cooker613

cooker613 Meat Mopper

Thanks for all the input and great ideas. Leaning towards the beans as a thanksgiving side. Spachcocked turkey on the big joe also. Love the idea of adding bhut jaloka but while I’m a chilie head, my wife and the kids not so much. ;)

10. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

How about pastrami.

Chris

11. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I agree with Chris!
    You can't beat a good Reuben!!
    Al

12. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

My wife is not crazy for smoked cheese but went nuts over beef ribs. Would do them all the time but pricey here. Let's not forget pastrami... That said, I see you smoked turkey but have you done a cured one? That's what I do this time of year especially with them so cheap and plentiful. Very rich and decadent. Think appetizer not meal. Check out Pop's brine. I like the low salt.

13. cooker613

cooker613 Meat Mopper

Forgot to mention that pastrami is a regular feature. I think my secret goal is to be my own Jewish deli. But cured smoked turkey sounds interesting. How does the curing change the flavor probfile of the bird? Also is the entire bird, the breast, or dark meat best for this treatment?

14. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Cured bird has a similar flavor to pastrami without all the spice of course. I prefer the cured dark meat and am usually a white meat guy but the whole bird is good. Ideally, if you can get drums cheap, I'd just do them but drums alone are a rip off here. Whole birds are $.30/lb. If you go to holiday parties and bring food or host, this stuff is the BOMB. Simply slice cold bird and put on a tray.

15. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Some you might be interested in .
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-chex-mix.270283/#post-1772012
    I've done this with the bottom of the bag hand fulls that the kids leave behind . Pretzels , cheese its , gold fish . All mixed together .
    This will give you the basic idea . I use brown sugar and red pepper on mine . They don't last long .
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/apple-smoked-spiced-nuts-foamheart.270840/

These don't last long either
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/driedsticks-pretzels-with-a-kick.153998/

Just something to think about , all worth doing .
    Chop

16. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I went thru some chicken testing awhile back . Cured with Pop's brine , Daves veg stock injection , and Morton's Tender quick .. all very good , but different . The taste will depend on you , what you use to cure , and add to the cure .
    One thing to know is that a fully cured , fully cooked whole bird will have pink . People think it's not cooked .
    Pop's brine . This was done in the oven .
    20180121_175658.jpg 20180121_181546.jpg

Daves Veg stock injection , smoked mes 30
    20180128_135158.jpg 20180129_162035.jpg
    You can see the difference in the two . Color , texture . Look at The Pop's bird . Whole on the board no juice . Cut pic , you can see juices on the board .

The cut pic of the Phosphate injected bird ( Dave's method ) no juice on the board . Stays in the meat .
    I cure almost all of my chicken parts in Pop's brine . Then on to the grill .

zwiller likes this.
  17. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

@chopsaw Agreed, phosphate rocks on poultry. Can I get your opinion?

I am working on a sorta Omak/Pops method. I have spent some time running some numbers trying to breakdown Pop's into Dave's by weight method with added phosphate. Last thoughts are:
    1.75% salt (2% with cure into account)
    1.5% brown sugar
    1.5% white sugar
    .5% phosphate
    .25% cure

How's that look?

18. cooker613

cooker613 Meat Mopper

Turkey pastrami? Could I? Dare I? Shall I? I believe so

zwiller likes this.