Datil peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Sprouted some Datil Pepper seeds and got them planted.
Only 4 of 6 broke ground so I had to restart another 2 seeds. They both took.
The place I got my Datil seeds was adamant about wet starting the seeds for about a week so they sprout before planting in seed starter.
I don't like disturbing seedlings, so I use a red cup (holes drilled in bottom) with potting soil on the bottom and about an inch of seed starter on the top.
My clever wife figured out they fit in a muffin tin.
starts-1.png starts-2.png

This is the second and final year of the Datil Pepper experience. Last of the seeds passed to another grower.
Next year I plan to raise Fish Pepper.

Happy gardening.

Looking good. I'm really looking forward to growing those passed on seeds!
Was trying to keep this low key Jeff until you introduced your next batch of hell fire sauce.
Pure Datil are way hotter than Habanero or Scotch Bonnet but not in the OMG league of the super hots.
Thanks for the like Eric

When we lived in Fl I was growing datils, the freakin tree rats ate em all.

Sprouted some Datil Pepper seeds and got them planted.
Only 4 of 6 broke ground so I had to restart another 2 seeds. They both took.
The place I got my Datil seeds was adamant about wet starting the seeds for about a week so they sprout before planting in seed starter.
I don't like disturbing seedlings, so I use a red cup (holes drilled in bottom) with potting soil on the bottom and about an inch of seed starter on the top.
My clever wife figured out they fit in a muffin tin.
View attachment 692131 View attachment 692132

This is the second and final year of the Datil Pepper experience. Last of the seeds passed to another grower.
Next year I plan to raise Fish Pepper.

Happy gardening.
I start with shot glass sized solo cups with two edge cuts on the bottom for drainage, nested into another shot glass solo cup for space saving. I fill the regular solo cup with equal amounts of spent coffee grounds, top soil and peat moss (unless you use a potting soil with top soil and peat) also with a few edge cuts in the bottom and nested into another. When the shot glass has roots coming out the bottom slits and slides out of the shot glass, then when over filling a regular cup of dirt mixture I push an empty shot glass solo into the dirt so the root ball fits perfectly for the next solo cup. Some folks use an outer square bottom solo to more elevate the round bottom inside it for more drainage space.

Reactions: jcam222
Also, 1/2 c epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) per gallon of water monthly will facilitate the up take of nitrogen of the coffee grounds or any other nitrogen for dark hunter green leaves if your leaves are yellow. You may have plenty of nitrogen and nutrients but the plant maybe stuck. Just do it and you'll see the greener leaves and big fruits.

Love the Datil pepper! I am in St Augustine now and just bought some pepper sauce in town. Great little store called the Pepper Palace. They have all off the products out for you to sample. We always find something different there.

I have been growing peppers for years. Believer in the old adage dig a $10 hole for that $1 plant. Always use some rotted manure (free) and a little 12-12-12 in the bottom of a 12-16" hole. I'll use Epsom salt shortly after transplant.

RG

20240321_111533.jpg
20230915_101953.jpg 20230915_102050.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky