• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FRENCH DIP QUESTIONS (Tatonka Dust??)

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 3, 2011
I am planning on making a heap of beef for French Dips.  I would normally go straight to SPOG (w/ a little dry mustard), but I just received my first batch of Tatonka Dust & I really want to try it out.

Will the Tatonka Dust flavor be lost in the au Jus?

Will the dust turn the au Jus black or gray?

I was going to use bottom round roasts smoked over hickory or mesquite and whip up a batch of Chef Jimmy's au Jus.  

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

Don

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
I think that sounds like a great combination! I'm going to have to try that. Maybe on an Eye Round...

Last edited:

tatonka3a2

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 31, 2007

I am planning on making a heap of beef for French Dips.  I would normally go straight to SPOG (w/ a little dry mustard), but I just received my first batch of Tatonka Dust & I really want to try it out.

Will the Tatonka Dust flavor be lost in the au Jus?

Will the dust turn the au Jus black or gray?

I was going to use bottom round roasts smoked over hickory or mesquite and whip up a batch of Chef Jimmy's au Jus.  

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

Don
Don,

The Tatonka Dust is great on French Dips - we love it!!  You won't lose the flavor in the au jus at all - it will enhance it.  Don't be afraid of the dark color, you can apply it a little heavy.

It will  not turn the au jus black or gray... maybe a little darker brown but not that we have really noticed. 

Chef Jimmy’s us jus is amazing!! 

Tanya

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.