Brisket French Dip Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamiew

Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Sioux Falls, SD
Itching to smoke again... tomorrow is supposed to be in the 30's, so it beats the last time I smoked at 7 degrees (-11 with wind chill). I have a small amount left on a gift card to a local store called Meat Lodge. They carry smaller brisket flats which I figured I'd smoke and turn into french dip sandwiches.

My only smoked brisket was a full 14.5 lb packer. Any advice on doing a smaller flat? I read somewhere on here to do it fat side down? I did the packer fat side up.

Planning to keep the drippings for making the au jus for these.

Thanks in advance for any advice

JamieW I got a little 3.75lb brisket flat on the smoker right now. I've never done one this small so I was worried it may dry out? I will let you know how it turns out.

Nice! Let me know how it turns out! Do you have a water pan? That goes a long way with keeping things moist. Also, when I did the full packer, I found that resting it in a cooler for a couple hours, wrapped in foil and a beach towel made all the difference in moisture.

Last edited:
yeahthat.gif

My preference would have been to cook a tri tip not a small brisket for French dip sandwees. For that small of a brisket I would cure it and make pastrami out of it. Then have Rueben's!

dirtsailor: I did decide to go with a tri tip... makes more sense. I've had it in the fridge all night with a dry rub of SPOG & montreal seasoning. I wish I had a meat slicer... that's my next toy. I think I can get pretty thin with a filet knife.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky