First try at ground jerky

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by Mauritius, Jan 8, 2018.

1. I did my first batch of ground jerky with a jerky cannon last week and it turned out really good! I used two super lean eye round roasts totaling 5 lbs and ground 1/4 inch. I did a mix of round and flat and ended up liking the flat. They dried faster and I couldn't get the cat turd visual out of my head with the round sticks. :eek: I think I'll go back to using casings for sticks.

I made up two different seasonings. One kinda plain - pepper, onion, garlic, worcestershire and soy - and one with an Asian twist - sriracha hot sauce, ginger, chili paste. I mixed the batches and let them sit overnight in the fridge before busting out the meat cannon. Both turned out fantastic smoked at 160 for 6 hours. Smoke was on 3-4 hours with a mix of hickory and apple in the AMNPS.

Once this is used up I'm going to try with venison. Had to perfect the process first ;)

[​IMG]

Maple likes this.
  2. did you use cure? I have been doing ground jerky for years but I use the pre packaged mixes with cure. the stuff lasts damn near forever.

3. Yep, used cure #1.

4. SonnyE

SonnyE Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Cat turd visual... :D
    Took me 5 minutes to stop laughin at that...

I'm still up in the air about my ground beef. But it is tasty! But I tend to get it a tad too dry.

I made a 'form' with some 1/4" white plastic pegboard I had laying around.
    Simply a 4" hole in the middle. Then I put a 1 ounce dipper of mixed meat on a baggie cut for squishin.
    I just use a flat bottomed pan and squish it into a cookie shape, peal and place on my screen, and dehydrate at 165 degrees till dried out. The form holds it to 1/4" thick.
    Jerky Cookies. Still laughing about your Cat Turd visual.
    If I use a custom press plate, maybe I can make miniature cow pies....
    Grandpa's Cow Pie Jerky. :eek: It's all in how you market it. Put it next to the gold moose turds.

Cat Turd Visual, ROTFLMAO!

5. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Ha!!!!! Sounds somewhat like the "dog turd" jerky I made like that one time.... Taste was good, but looks... not so much...

[​IMG]

6. SonnyE

Yeah, tell them it dog-doo Jerky and they'll leave it alone.
    More for you.
    That looks more like Coyote or Raccoon scat to me.
    I'd eat it. Might close my eyes for the first bite, but I would.

7. Ahahaha that's some chunky stuff. I agree about the coon scat, way more fitting.

I just realized the photo in my post didn't work, here's what I made...sans cat turds.

IMG_20180106_001441.jpg

8. SonnyE

Cow Pie Jerky...
    [​IMG]

9. Buffalo biscuits!

10. SonnyE

Prairie Flyers.... :D

I've come to the conclusion 2 pounds makes a mixed load in my Presto Dehydrator for now.
    (I finished a pound of ground, and a pound of Bottom Round Roast the other day.)
    I could might get more, but I don't want a small amount waiting to go on. Besides, I can only eat so much.
    that 2 pounds made a quart Ziploc bag and I've been enjoying way more than I should.

I suppose it is all a matter of preference, but I find I'm leaning toward the ground meat again.
    For one thing, I take a pound, and I made up the dry ingredients in a plastic food jar, 6 tsp per pound.
    Add the Worcestershire sauce, and the soy sauce, and mix by hand. Ready to use! (I use plastic food service disposable gloves handling raw meat.)
    (However, if the mix is allowed to rest in the Fridge for an hour or two, the flavors have a chance to mingle. ;) I can't see any harm in it setting in the fridge.)

It all looks good to me! ;)

11. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks real good for your first try!
    Al