First Time Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigCat88

Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Ponte Vedra, Fl
Hey yall,
I've been looking at a lot of posts on here as I get ready for my very first smoke this weekend, so I figured I would join. I got married and bought a house this year and we got a Louisiana Grills kamado grill as a gift. I think we're gonna try smoked chicken for our first go round.

Appreciate any tips!

Welcome! You'll be very pleased with the Kamado.

Chicken likes hotter temperatures, I typically cook chicken at 285-300. It'll crisp up the skin, but you'll still get a ton of smoke flavor. The biggest thing is to cook on the quicker side so you don't dry out lean meat.

What cut of chicken are you thinking?

What gmh said. I would invest in a good meat thermometer if you don't already have one. Probably my number one tool. And btw, welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site, glad you joined.

Chris

Welcome! You'll be very pleased with the Kamado.

Chicken likes hotter temperatures, I typically cook chicken at 285-300. It'll crisp up the skin, but you'll still get a ton of smoke flavor. The biggest thing is to cook on the quicker side so you don't dry out lean meat.

What cut of chicken are you thinking?

Was planning on doing whole chicken. And bought a nice meat thermometer yesterday!

Welcome to the site. And, as JeffWright said, pictures or it didn't happen.

Chicken is a great place to start!

Excellent! whole chickens are always fun. They take a little time, but you can always spatchcock them and cut your cook in about half.

I agree with this. A whole chicken may have more charm. But I find a spatchcock or quartered bird gives me better results. It's quicker, you get to season both sides of the meat and you get more smoke exposure.

I find quartering the best because the thighs and breast often cook at different speeds and separating them makes it easier to manage and get optimal results. I also like to pull the meat at 145* internal temp and finish over direct heat on the grill, up to 160*. I find this gives me the crispiest skin and great grill marks for bonus points

Have fun with it!

Welcome to SMF. Let the fun begin! Soooo much good advice on smoking bird around here. Good choice. I don't think I could ever get tired of poultry done right over charcoal any way you do it. But on a rotisserie is my fave for whole birds, brined these days. Obviously that is yet just another gadget you likely don't have now, but might consider down the road.

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! Congrats on getting married, and that’s an awesome wedding gift. There is a lot you can do with a whole chicken. The most important thing, like everyone has said is to keep it from drying out. If you are keeping it whole you can do a beer can chicken to help with moisture, or even do a simple brine or injection as well. No matter what you do, good luck, enjoy, and take pictures. Thanks for joining!

Had to come back and post pics as proof that it happened. There's a few things I would do differently next time but overall successful first smoke! Thanks all for the tips.

4.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg

Welcome glad to have you on board. I can see a great job on your first cook and notice that you have chosen to do somethings different next time. Seems like there is always a learning curve and ways to make it just a little better the next time. Awesome looking bird.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky