FNG - First Work Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philgood

Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Hey everyone! I bought my first smoker (masterbuilt) probably 8 years ago which started my smoking adventure. Right now I have a traeger 780 pro pellet smoker, a weber kettle, brio x (more for fires than cooking at this point) and a Pitt boss griddle. I'm definitely a weekend warrior with no formal experience or training but do a little but of research online and trial and error my way to what I consider decent food sometimes!

Made an account because I can tapped to cook for work. I'm guessing about 100 people. I've cooked for parties of maybe 15 before but nothing on this scale. I have a month or so before the event. I was hoping some people could point out some common pit falls or tips.

Of course the higher ups claimed the easy pulled pork and i got chicken. I figured i could do pulled chicken to stick with the theme and use the same sides.

I searched the forums already and it sounds like a good mix is somewhere between 70/30 dark/light to 60/40. I'd do boneless skinless thighs and breasts and shred. I assume this is fine to do a day or two ahead and just bring to work and reheat in the tin foil pan with a sterno. I didn't see a sticky or faq but if I missed it I'm happy to go read it. Lurked here off and on for a while and figured I'd go ahead and make an account.

Wings I made the other weekend on the kettle.

Attachments

• 20230910_155152.jpg
    20230910_155152.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 13
First off Welcome to SMF from a Minnesota snowbird. We'll be in Florida in about 2 weeks.
Nice wings

Made an account because I can tapped to cook for work. I'm guessing about 100 people.
Of course the higher ups claimed the easy pulled pork and i got chicken. I figured i could do pulled chicken to stick with the theme and use the same sides.
The answer of NO never crossed your mind?

What is the "theme" ?
What are the sides?
Higher ups? Multiple people are providing cooked meat?

Pulled chicken is great and yes smoke ahead and simply reheat at the event.
Me, I would make separate batches of dark and light meat. The eaters can make their own blend or no blend of the meat.

If you plan to stand at the grill all day instead of socializing, you can duplicate your wings.
Wings are a hot menu item these days.
Search on vortex. A fully loaded kettle will hold a lot of wings.

Reactions: philgood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky