Nice to meet you all

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hogan712

Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Hello,

I've been lurking in the shadows for years now, finding many helpful tips discussed on posts by others...figured it's finally time to get involved.

My first interest in smoking meats was seeing Alton Brown make a smoker out of a couple ceramic planters and a hot plate while I stayed up past my bedtime binge-watching the Food Network in middle school. Fast forward about 5 years later and I bought my first Weber electric smoker, then two more of them, followed by an offset smoker (Oklahoma Joe) and then a Traeger Ironwood 885. Now in my mid-30's, I've been dying to get a legit / good quality offset smoker but with life being what it is, haven't had the money to splurge nor the time to justify buying a higher end smoker offset.

I'm located up in NJ and although it's always seemed interesting to me, never got in to any competition or anything like that. Just a fan of smoked meats and love the accomplished feeling of starting a fire at 3am and keeping it burning at a steady temp all day to feed my family and friends that night.

It's a pleasure to meet you all and look forward to some future discussions.

Hello,

I've been lurking in the shadows for years now, finding many helpful tips discussed on posts by others...figured it's finally time to get involved.

My first interest in smoking meats was seeing Alton Brown make a smoker out of a couple ceramic planters and a hot plate while I stayed up past my bedtime binge-watching the Food Network in middle school. Fast forward about 5 years later and I bought my first Weber electric smoker, then two more of them, followed by an offset smoker (Oklahoma Joe) and then a Traeger Ironwood 885. Now in my mid-30's, I've been dying to get a legit / good quality offset smoker but with life being what it is, haven't had the money to splurge nor the time to justify buying a higher end smoker offset.

I'm located up in NJ and although it's always seemed interesting to me, never got in to any competition or anything like that. Just a fan of smoked meats and love the accomplished feeling of starting a fire at 3am and keeping it burning at a steady temp all day to feed my family and friends that night.

Welcome from SE Florida

Reactions: Hogan712
Hello,

Welcome from the Ninth Circle of Hell - I spent part of my ute in New Joisy!

You can make great smoked meats without a show-off smoker and in the end, they all rust the same. Folks have made smokers out of garbage cans... Stay away from sheet metal and look for something 3/16" steel minimum - 1/4" would be better, but you pay for it up front and during shipping. One thing I envy about you being in New Jersey is that there is some awesome shag bark hickory available not far north of the NY State border. I used beaucoup piles of it when I was a kid and I, miss, it, big, time...

Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the nuthouse, be careful there's a bunch of enablers here and you can stay broke buying new gadgets and food to cook :emoji_laughing: , I wont point them out as it don't take long to pick them out lmao

Hello,

Welcome From PA

Welcome from north-central NJ. I run a WSM 18", which I'm very happy with. I should hit my 100th cook on that smoker within the next few weeks.

If you are interested in a reasonably-priced and most excellent BBQ class, I recommend the various 1-day boot camps that Mason-Dixon BBQ runs in Greencastle, PA. I did their brisket boot camp last year, and it was great. It's a very cool store as well.
https://mdbbqservices.com/bootcamps/
Their schedule for 2024 will probably be posted soon, and the bootcamps will sell out very quickly.

(This will look like a duplicate post...I accidentally posted it originally in the welcome thread for S Stopsign32v )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky