• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Pork Butt - Pulled Pork

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
Just finished up my first pork butt tonight. It went extremely well for my first time. It ulled apart very easily and tasted delicious. It was about 7.5 lbs raw and took 9 hours on the smoker with a temperature hovering around 225°. I crutched it with foil at 160° and took it off of the smoker at 196°. I let it rest 30 minutes before pulling.
I used Jeff's finishing sauce recipe after pulling it and I also did a couple of bowls in different barbecue sauces. I used a simple salt, pepper, and brown sugar rub and did not mop it during the smoke. Here are some pictures of the result.
20181209_190721.jpg
20181209_191445.jpg
20181209_192247.jpg

Nick

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
Very fine looking plate of food you have there!

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Looks like a winner. Jeff's finishing sauce is good. Little change of pace, try SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. His is on here and very easy. Wifes favorite.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
Did u cook that on a stick burner? Looks good!
Yup. I used the CharGriller that is in my picture. I made a few modifications to it the other day too to improve the heat sealing and chimney. The mods went a long way to help keep the temperature steady compared to what I had been dealing with before.

Nick

motolife313

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 27, 2016
Nice. What kind of wood did u use? I used mine today aswell.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
I started with two chimneys of Cowboy Natural Hardwood lump charcoal and a hickory chunk from Oklahoma Joes. I ran out of the Cowboy charcoal about halfway into the smoke and switched to Kingsford original briquettes that I had lying around. I kept it consistent with the hickory throughout the smoke though. Early in the spring I plan on picking up a 1/4-1/2 a cord of seasoned hardwood. I burn through the Amazon and Lowe's stuff much too quickly for how much I spend on it.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined May 19, 2018
Looks good to me!

Some time, when you do a pork butt, at the end, make corn bread under it, some drippings get into the cornbread as it smokes, I think you might like it ;)

motolife313

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 27, 2016
Nice. I use nothing but hardwood myself. And I sell it on CL here in the PNW. 25$ per wheel borrow. Most guys email and flake.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Nice looking PP you got there.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Good looking PP!
Can't beat a meal like that!!
Everything looks delicious!
Al

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
Not quite homemade. It came from one of those cardboard rolls. still delicious though. The macaroni and cheese was stouffers oven macaroni too. Nothing special other than the pork. I need to make some good mac and cheese though after seeing some of the pictures on here.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
Looks like a winner. Jeff's finishing sauce is good. Little change of pace, try SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. His is on here and very easy. Wifes favorite.
Correction: I did use SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. The pulled pork with nothing but the finishing sauce on it was the biggest hit. Wanted to give credit where it is due.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined May 19, 2018
Not quite homemade. It came from one of those cardboard rolls. still delicious though. The macaroni and cheese was stouffers oven macaroni too. Nothing special other than the pork. I need to make some good mac and cheese though after seeing some of the pictures on here.
You gotta try some smoked n cheese some day. I just did a batch based off that recipe with cottage cheese and it was amazing!

sauced

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 9, 2015
Great looking PP....nice job!! I start my offset with charcoal then only add small splits for the remaining time the meat is cooking.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
Great looking PP. color looks great and love the sammies. Way to go. LIKE

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Awesome looking PP for your first or 101st try. Very nice...Like!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom