First Pork Butt - Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Boston, MA
Just finished up my first pork butt tonight. It went extremely well for my first time. It ulled apart very easily and tasted delicious. It was about 7.5 lbs raw and took 9 hours on the smoker with a temperature hovering around 225°. I crutched it with foil at 160° and took it off of the smoker at 196°. I let it rest 30 minutes before pulling.
I used Jeff's finishing sauce recipe after pulling it and I also did a couple of bowls in different barbecue sauces. I used a simple salt, pepper, and brown sugar rub and did not mop it during the smoke. Here are some pictures of the result.
20181209_190721.jpg
20181209_191445.jpg
20181209_192247.jpg

Nick

Looks like a winner. Jeff's finishing sauce is good. Little change of pace, try SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. His is on here and very easy. Wifes favorite.

Did u cook that on a stick burner? Looks good!
Yup. I used the CharGriller that is in my picture. I made a few modifications to it the other day too to improve the heat sealing and chimney. The mods went a long way to help keep the temperature steady compared to what I had been dealing with before.

Nick

I started with two chimneys of Cowboy Natural Hardwood lump charcoal and a hickory chunk from Oklahoma Joes. I ran out of the Cowboy charcoal about halfway into the smoke and switched to Kingsford original briquettes that I had lying around. I kept it consistent with the hickory throughout the smoke though. Early in the spring I plan on picking up a 1/4-1/2 a cord of seasoned hardwood. I burn through the Amazon and Lowe's stuff much too quickly for how much I spend on it.

Looks good to me!

Some time, when you do a pork butt, at the end, make corn bread under it, some drippings get into the cornbread as it smokes, I think you might like it ;)

Nice. I use nothing but hardwood myself. And I sell it on CL here in the PNW. 25$ per wheel borrow. Most guys email and flake.

Nice looking PP you got there.

Point for sure.
Chris

Not quite homemade. It came from one of those cardboard rolls. still delicious though. The macaroni and cheese was stouffers oven macaroni too. Nothing special other than the pork. I need to make some good mac and cheese though after seeing some of the pictures on here.

Looks like a winner. Jeff's finishing sauce is good. Little change of pace, try SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. His is on here and very easy. Wifes favorite.

Correction: I did use SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. The pulled pork with nothing but the finishing sauce on it was the biggest hit. Wanted to give credit where it is due.

Not quite homemade. It came from one of those cardboard rolls. still delicious though. The macaroni and cheese was stouffers oven macaroni too. Nothing special other than the pork. I need to make some good mac and cheese though after seeing some of the pictures on here.
You gotta try some smoked n cheese some day. I just did a batch based off that recipe with cottage cheese and it was amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky