Dutch Oven by Barebones: wide feet, slotted lid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snakyjake

Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Western WA, USA
Anyone familiar with the camping Dutch Oven from Barebones?
Do the wider legs/feet help so the oven doesn't sink into soft ground?
Does the spiral heat guard handle work well?
Any issues with the slotted lid design not sealing?
Is there an advantage of having the slotted lid for venting?

Barebones Dutch Oven.png

Thank you.

I haven't seen that brand of Dutch oven, but having that style of lid would prevent you from rotating the lid when baking biscuits or bread to even out the heat. However, if you needed to reduce liquid from something like a stew it would be easy to vent the lid.

Reactions: snakyjake
Your best bet is to use a piece of steel below your dutch oven. I have a 1/4" thick chunk that is about 1 foot square that I throw down. Another option that we use is an adjustable campfire grate.

If I was looking at getting a new oven I'd be looking for one that has feet on the lid. Then you can invert the dutch oven and make pizza and such. All of my ovens have lids that don't have feet. :emoji_thinking:

If I want to simmer/steam like the Barebones claims it can do because of the lid, I just throw a wooden spoon between the lid and the oven. I very rarely need to do that though.

Another important feature is to make sure the oven has a bail handle. Not only good for lugging the oven around. It also allows you hang the pot from a tripod.

Reactions: snakyjake
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky