Char-Griller 980 After Six Months

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For those that have been running a 980 for awhile I have a few quick questions.

#1 Cool down time. Ive done my burn-in(350 deg) and seasoning(350 deg) and 1 high temp grilling(550 deg). The cool down on the hopper seems excessive. It was still pretty warm to touch around 5 hours later. Warm enough I was worried about throwing the cover on. What are you guys seeing for cool down times? I did see in another thread about pulling the chute out after cooking. That might be an option.

#2 I've read all the threads about when and how to add wood chucks or splits in the hopper with or without charcoal, but is anyone just running wood chips sprinkled in with the charcoal? There doesn't seem to be much talk of using the chips. I wondered if that was because it is a method that doesn't work.

TIA for any info.

#1 Cool down time. Ive done my burn-in(350 deg) and seasoning(350 deg) and 1 high temp grilling(550 deg). The cool down on the hopper seems excessive. It was still pretty warm to touch around 5 hours later. Warm enough I was worried about throwing the cover on. What are you guys seeing for cool down times? I did see in another thread about pulling the chute out after cooking. That might be an option.
First, things first... I would highly recommend NOT trying to lift that chute from the gravity chimney. I'm not a short guy, but hoisting that thing out and placing it someplace safe while it's still lit or hot seems akin to manually removing plutonium rods from a nuclear reactor. It's awkward enough cool... I can't imagine doing that when it's hot.

My recommendation would be to:
  1. Try to better manage your fuel such that you are not say filling the chute for an expected low-temp 1-hour cook, and
  2. Doing so affords you the option of simply opening the door to the ash pan and letting the fire burn out and not feel too bad about any unused fuel.
This way, while sipping my morning coffee, I latch up all the doors and replace the cover. I have never had an occasion where the 980 was still too hot to cover the next morning.

#2 I've read all the threads about when and how to add wood chucks or splits in the hopper with or without charcoal, but is anyone just running wood chips sprinkled in with the charcoal? There doesn't seem to be much talk of using the chips. I wondered if that was because it is a method that doesn't work.

Almost a year ago, Tom Horsman made a YouTube video where he use only wood in the chimney with success... I'll just let him explain it.

I personally have never tried Tom's method, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have added wood chucks mixed with briquettes or oak lump charcoal with great success. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is adding chunks directly into the ash pan (even though Chargriller says you can). In my case, I was getting wild temperature spikes over the cook. If I were to guess, I think it's because once the wood in the pan has been ignited, you're effectively getting two heat/smoke sources rather than the one as it was designed to be (or, you have one controlled fire while the other is free to burn).

Hope that helped.

Reactions: Wardogg
First, things first... I would highly recommend NOT trying to lift that chute from the gravity chimney. I'm not a short guy, but hoisting that thing out and placing it someplace safe while it's still lit or hot seems akin to manually removing plutonium rods from a nuclear reactor. It's awkward enough cool... I can't imagine doing that when it's hot.

My recommendation would be to:
  1. Try to better manage your fuel such that you are not say filling the chute for an expected low-temp 1-hour cook, and
  2. Doing so affords you the option of simply opening the door to the ash pan and letting the fire burn out and not feel too bad about any unused fuel.
This way, while sipping my morning coffee, I latch up all the doors and replace the cover. I have never had an occasion where the 980 was still too hot to cover the next morning.
Pulling it out wasn't really my first choice. Plus I dont really have anyway to store hot coals anyway. I guess I'm regulated to learning fuel sizes. I hate having to wait until the next morning to cover up. Especially if I know there is rain coming through the night.

Almost a year ago, Tom Horsman made a YouTube video where he use only wood in the chimney with success... I'll just let him explain it.

I personally have never tried Tom's method, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have added wood chucks mixed with briquettes or oak lump charcoal with great success. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is adding chunks directly into the ash pan (even though Chargriller says you can). In my case, I was getting wild temperature spikes over the cook. If I were to guess, I think it's because once the wood in the pan has been ignited, you're effectively getting two heat/smoke sources rather than the one as it was designed to be (or, you have one controlled fire while the other is free to burn).

Hope that helped.

Oof. Yeah I've seen this video. Does anyone really consider what he just did there smoking meat? LOL. I mean it involved what was once meat. And it involved smoke. But thats about where the similarities end. I'm new to the 980 but not to smoking meat. His method might work, if done a different way, but what he did there didn't. That was an overcooked creosote sandwich. I can't believe he said that tasted good. There is no way. Right now I'm sticking the basics of the way the grill was designed. Using briquets. I'm just thinking about sprinkling some applewood or pecan chips in amongst the briquettes and see if I can bump up the flavor a bit.

What I would really like to get a hold of is this. But all my local stores don't seem to carry it.

0004460032072.jpg

I hate having to wait until the next morning to cover up. Especially if I know there is rain coming through the night.
No... I feel you there. I try to take care of my grills... on the other hand, I live in Texas where I can tell you rain would be a welcome change from the blistering heatwave we're under now.
That was an overcooked creosote sandwich.
🤣 Can't argue that!
I was impressed that he found a new way to create his own charcoal!
I'm just thinking about sprinkling some applewood or pecan chips in amongst the briquettes and see if I can bump up the flavor a bit.
Again, I recommend chunks over chips. Although I've never tried chips in my 980, I'm having a hard time imagining that would survive long enough to make any difference in flavor... but that's just one man's opinion. If you try it, kindly follow up with me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky