Double Smoked Hams---Times 4 (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Being new to smoking, I don't understand why you cut the fat off. Why not leave it intact on the hams? Thanks...they look delicious!

I am humbled.

Great planning.

Looks fantastic.

Snake
Thank You!!

Bear

Being new to smoking, I don't understand why you cut the fat off. Why not leave it intact on the hams? Thanks...they look delicious!
You can leave it on.

I cut it off so the smoke can get to the meat. Then I put it in the pan above with holes in it, so the fact can drip on the meat.

If I left the fat on, most of the smoke would be wasted on the fat.

Bear

That makes perfect sense! Thanks! I'm smoking ribs for Christmas, will do this instead of putting the bacon right on top of the meat.

That makes perfect sense! Thanks! I'm smoking ribs for Christmas, will do this instead of putting the bacon right on top of the meat.
Thanks!

I never like to wrap or lay Bacon right on the meat. The Bacon takes much of the smoke & flavor & keeps the bark from forming on the meat because it's covered. (But maybe that's just me)

Bear
Wow, how'd I miss this thread ? Very nice Bear, sorry I'm really late !
Thank You Justin!!

And for the Points,

Bear

I'm doing the happy dance.  My Giant store right now has ham shank @ $.79/lb.  I bought two and might go back and get a couple more and throw in the freezer.  I can't wait to try this out Bear.  Thank you SO much!

sausage.gif

I'm doing the happy dance.  My Giant store right now has ham shank @ $.79/lb.  I bought two and might go back and get a couple more and throw in the freezer.  I can't wait to try this out Bear.  Thank you SO much!

sausage.gif

That's Great !!

If they have any Ham "Butt" Ends, you might want to get them too. They are usually only about 20 cents a pound more that the "Shank" ends & the meat to bone ratio is worth it.

Bear

Reactions: old bones

That's Great !!

If they have any Ham "Butt" Ends, you might want to get them too. They are usually only about 20 cents a pound more that the "Shank" ends & the meat to bone ratio is worth it.

Bear
Wish I'd have thought of that when I was in town today.  I think the sale is over today, but they should have it again I think for New Years.  I think I'll do one of them for New Years day.  Can't wait to taste that smoky goodness.  Thanks again!

If you havent tried one of these you don't know what you are missing, Good Stuff !!  
points1.png

Gary

Thanks for the instructions, Bear!

Other than using my own rub and not doing any glazing (never liked glazes) I mostly followed your instructions while doing my ham today and even the temp readings were almost spot on for the times/temps you listed and the ham turned out to be frigging awesome. :yahoo:

Everybody was raving about it an even my daughter who doesn't ever eat pork tasted it and said it tasted great.

First time doing this, but definitely not the last. Thanks again!

Last edited:
This recipe is tha bomb!!! I just got done and followed the steps fully, gave the wife a taste and she was like wow!!! thanks guys!!!!

Wow!  there is a lot of nice looking hams out there.  Gott'a give Bear a lot of the credit... ;-)    I remember the first time I saw this post and tried it. I knew this was going to be a hit.   I think I've made about 10 or 12 hams after seeing this.  One word of warning,  Don't ever make one for a friend or you'll be on his Christmas "Things to Do"  list for ever...    

Well Mr. Bear,  This year, it's ham for Christmas,  Yep!  Thanks to you it will be Double Smoked the Bear Way.  I'm also going to try four smoked baked eggs and see it they work.   

Thanks Again Bear,  Hope your Christmas is Enjoyable,

John

John

If you havent tried one of these you don't know what you are missing, Good Stuff !!  
points1.png

Gary
Thank You Gary!!

And for the Points!

Bear
Thanks for the instructions, Bear!

Other than using my own rub and not doing any glazing (never liked glazes) I mostly followed your instructions while doing my ham today and even the temp readings were almost spot on for the times/temps you listed and the ham turned out to be frigging awesome.
yahoo.gif

Everybody was raving about it an even my daughter who doesn't ever eat pork tasted it and said it tasted great.

First time doing this, but definitely not the last. Thanks again!

Thank You TexFinn!!

I'm real glad Everybody Loved it !!

Bear

Reactions: mowin
Bear, another take on putting the fat in a pan with holes over the meat is this. Put some ABT's (i.e.atomic buffalo turds aka jalapeno-cheese stuffed poppers wrapped in bacon) on a rack over the meat and let the dripping bacon fat baste as well. You can eat the poppers afterward and the ham is well basted.

Reactions: sharryn
A few notes from my Christmas day double smoke.

I read all of Bear's posts about double-smoked ham, as well as a dozen other threads on the subject here in the forum. I used a Kirland/Costco spiral ham someone gave to me (after he took a few slices of the ham for himself). Used my new AMPS with Jeff's "Pitmaster" blend filling just the first row (3 hour smoke). I put that into my MES 30". I didn't apply any glaze until after the first 90 minutes, and during that initial time I smoked at a relatively low (200 degree) temp. I then applied the glaze and smoked for the last 90 minutes at 270 degrees. Pulled at exactly the three hour mark. The internal temp was only 115 degrees, but I had no desire to get it to 130 or 140. As Jeff pointed out in his video (I've provided a link below, in case you haven't watched it), there really isn't much need to monitor or worry about temps when the meat has already been cooked.

This is about adding smoke, not cooking.

Things I learned:

1. I don't think there is much need for heat. Since I am using the AMPS, I don't have to get the MES hot in order to produce smoke. Because the ham is fully cooked and cured, there really isn't any reason to get it hot, unless I want to serve it hot immediately after removing from the smoker. As for "setting" the glaze, see my notes below.

Next time I will do the whole smoke at 160 degrees because the higher the temp the longer I have to wait before putting the ham into the fridge. I could do a cold smoke, but I don't think the cold smoke tastes quite the same (expert smokers, feel free to contradict this neophyte's assumption).

2. Next time I will not use any glaze during the smoke. I did some research on glazes, but only after I'd finished the whole thing. What I found out is that "Honeybaked" hams use a glaze that is carmelized using a blowtorch. This makes a lot of sense to me, and I think would create a MUCH better result, assuming you want a glaze (I note that quite a few people who have posted in this thread and elsewhere don't like glazes on their hams). In addition, when I added the glaze after 90 minutes, as I pressed it into the very warm exterior, it cause the exterior fat to mush around and deform. I could have avoided that by putting the glaze on before the smoke, but I think that might have reduced the smoke penetration. So, in the future I will smoke without any glaze, and then put the glaze on after the smoke has finished, and the ham exterior has cooled for 15-20 minutes. I will also slightly dilute the glaze so I can "paint" it on rather than rub it on, in order to minimize any damage to the exterior.

3. Next time I will use a glaze without cloves. Yes, I know that they are the traditional spice for hams, but I like cloves in cookies, not hams. Yes, I am strange. Once I put on the glaze, I will use the blowtorch. I have always like the Honeybaked taste and now that (I think) I know how their glaze is created, I'd like to try to duplicate that, but with the added benefit of having a really nice smoke on a much cheaper ham (Kirkland/Costco hams are about 1/4 the cost of a Honeybaked product).

Finally, on an unrelated note, at some point I need to post what I learned about lighting the 5x8 AMPS. I've read a hundred posts on this, and watched a few videos, and learned a lot. However, I still had problems, and was ready to give up. However, because I have faith in the people in this forum, and many of them say this is the greatest thing since smoked sliced bread, I kept after it. After a few failures (I just got it a week ago) I discovered that using a good heat gun, but without any torch or other ignition, produces an absolutely perfect result. It is repeatable, with no question about whether the smoke is going to extinguish. It is really easy, and the AMPS is ready to go in only about 5-7 minutes instead of 10-15 minutes. I'll try to get around to posting a video, probably sometime next week, or whenever I do my next smoke.

Thanks Bear for providing such a great guide on how to do this, and I hope you don't mind my adding a few twists and variations of my own!

Bear, first off......... :points:

I tried twice brining my own ham with dismissal results. Although I've figured out what I need to do the next time I cure my own, you have simplified the process. Double smoked ham is almost too simple and easy. Did my first yesterday. It was awesome. Thumbs Up. Thank again.......

This recipe is tha bomb!!! I just got done and followed the steps fully, gave the wife a taste and she was like wow!!! thanks guys!!!!
That's really Great to Hear----Thank You!!

Bear

Wow!  there is a lot of nice looking hams out there.  Gott'a give Bear a lot of the credit... ;-)    I remember the first time I saw this post and tried it. I knew this was going to be a hit.   I think I've made about 10 or 12 hams after seeing this.  One word of warning,  Don't ever make one for a friend or you'll be on his Christmas "Things to Do"  list for ever...    

Well Mr. Bear,  This year, it's ham for Christmas,  Yep!  Thanks to you it will be Double Smoked the Bear Way.  I'm also going to try four smoked baked eggs and see it they work.   

Thanks Again Bear,  Hope your Christmas is Enjoyable,

John
Thank You Bones!!

We had a Great Christmas!

I'm real glad to hear you're enjoying my Double Smoked Ham method !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky