Double Smoked Hams---Times 4 (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Great timing on the "bump"! Thanks Bear!

This is what I plan to do next week-end. I don't care if it is still snowing or not........that smoker is coming out of the shed!

Lot's of great tips and recipe's there!
That's Great Ultra!!!

You'll love the results you get from this Cheap & Easy Method.

Double Smoked is the only kind of Ham we've had here at home for 40 years.

Bear

What a great post!  I have used the same recipe (I'll post it tomorrow) for years and have been wanting to try a different one. I'll surely try this one!

Thanks Stan!!

Give her a try----So Easy & Cheap, and it Tastes Great !!

Bear

I see a lot of people are still asking how to do a Ham for Tomorrow (Easter).

Well it's not to late!!

You can still have the best Ham you ever had, by buying a cheap Ham today & following my method Tomorrow!!

Very Easy & tastes Awesome!!

Bear

Last edited:
Glad it was bumped. Beautiful then as now. Remember cured meats should be sliced thin, so that more surface is oxidated. Take as much as you want only thinner.

Glad it was bumped. Beautiful then as now. Remember cured meats should be sliced thin, so that more surface is oxidated. Take as much as you want only thinner.
Thanks Tiger!!

Not sure what you mean though. You can slice this any thickness you want. 

I'll generally slice it thick for Dinner, and thin for Sammies. Then the oddball pieces get cut into chunks for "Ham & Beans & Taters".

Bear

Good info Bear.... Next week is another good time to look for some good deal on hams. After New Years, I was paying as low as $1.08 to 88 cents per pound for smoked hams. I picked up four of them throughout the month and kept them (frozen in pails) in the pole barn. Once I had room in the freezer and the weather started to change, I was doing some serious smoking.

Thanks to you I got a good supply of sliced ham for lunches, chunks for split pea soup, smaller pieces for scrambled eggs and ham, ground ham for ham spread and deviled eggs and dried ham pieces to be used like bacon bits..

Doubled smoked ham is $3.89 per pound right now. I got my double smoked ham for 88 cent a pound and ended up with some ground scraps for the cats a smoked ham bone for the dog.

Another double smoked ham made the Bearcarver way..

Thanks Bear...

John

Good info Bear.... Next week is another good time to look for some good deal on hams. After New Years, I was paying as low as $1.08 to 88 cents per pound for smoked hams. I picked up four of them throughout the month and kept them (frozen in pails) in the pole barn. Once I had room in the freezer and the weather started to change, I was doing some serious smoking.

Thanks to you I got a good supply of sliced ham for lunches, chunks for split pea soup, smaller pieces for scrambled eggs and ham, ground ham for ham spread and deviled eggs and dried ham pieces to be used like bacon bits..

Doubled smoked ham is $3.89 per pound right now. I got my double smoked ham for 88 cent a pound and ended up with some ground scraps for the cats a smoked ham bone for the dog.

Another double smoked ham made the Bearcarver way..

Thanks Bear...

John

Thank You John!!

Glad you like my method.

Any price under $1.40 is good. Right now starting tomorrow, one of our local stores has Shank ends for $0.99, and Butt ends for $1.19. That's the low here for the last 2 years.

And the Butcher Shops around here are also getting around $4 per pound for their Double Smoked Hams.  AND Mine taste better!!!

Bear

$1.29 a pound at safeway today in Tucson. I got a couple :)
That's Great !!

You won't believe how good you can make a cheap ham taste, and how easy it is!!
drool.gif

Bear

Bear you are the man!!
I followed your double smoke ham guide and here are my results

Thank you again for your step by step index
Thanks Nylan01 !!

Looks Great !!!

Always Glad to Help!

Bear

Having nearly given up on smoking after many failures due to being unable to maintain temperature for more than an hour resulting in us finishing the meat off in the kitchen oven and the smoker destined for the skip, we gave it one final go with a ham joint. Well, we couldn't have been pleased, this time we omitted the water bowl and we maintained 300 degrees F for 5 hours, the only down side was the Dijon mustard and Demerara sugar coating was a little too crispy but the joint as a whole was perfect, succulent and moist (suprisingly).

As I have mentioned, the only thing we did differ this time was not use the water bowl. What I really need to do is reduce the heat to about 250 degrees with an internal temperature of about 145 degrees instead of the 190 degrees we had.

Can't wait till next time. Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

Nigel. :yahoo:

Having nearly given up on smoking after many failures due to being unable to maintain temperature for more than an hour resulting in us finishing the meat off in the kitchen oven and the smoker destined for the skip, we gave it one final go with a ham joint. Well, we couldn't have been pleased, this time we omitted the water bowl and we maintained 300 degrees F for 5 hours, the only down side was the Dijon mustard and Demerara sugar coating was a little too crispy but the joint as a whole was perfect, succulent and moist (suprisingly).

As I have mentioned, the only thing we did differ this time was not use the water bowl. What I really need to do is reduce the heat to about 250 degrees with an internal temperature of about 145 degrees instead of the 190 degrees we had.

Can't wait till next time. Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

Nigel.
yahoo.gif
Yes I like to do these Double Smoked Hams at a lower temp, especially since they have been cured. That way I don't get the hard thick skin on the Ham like you get when using a higher heat, like most people use in the oven. I also like to stop when the Ham gets to 145° --150° IT.

Other things like Butts, Briskets, Chuckies, etc, etc need to be taken to a lot higher internal temp, but not the Hams, Prime Ribs, and other such meats.

Bear

Thanks a lot for your comments Bear. Although I have had a smoker for a couple of year now I keep pushing it to the back of the garage because of the failures I've had, but are you saying when the IT reaches 145o - 150o you stop smoking and that's the joint ready for eating?

NigelR

Thanks a lot for your comments Bear. Although I have had a smoker for a couple of year now I keep pushing it to the back of the garage because of the failures I've had, but are you saying when the IT reaches 145o - 150o you stop smoking and that's the joint ready for eating?

NigelR
Yes, About 4 years ago USDA dropped the safe internal temp of Pork from the old 160° to 145°. So it doesn't have to go any higher.

In fact some Hams that have already been smoked & cooked (Like the ones on this thread) have a label saying to heat it to 130° IT.

So unless noted on the package, be sure to take whole Pork products to 145° internal temp.

Bear

Bear

Thanks a lot for your advice, it is much appreciated.

NigelR. :grilling_smilie:

I gave your smoking method a try and it came out great. I left it on the smoker about 4 1/2 hours. The IT was about 135, ok for a precooked ham. I'll never go back to my old ways of cooking ham. It was moist and had a nice smoke  flavor. I can't believe it was a .99 cent a pound ham.  
Before

After

I gave your smoking method a try and it came out great. I left it on the smoker about 4 1/2 hours. The IT was about 135, ok for a precooked ham. I'll never go back to my old ways of cooking ham. It was moist and had a nice smoke  flavor. I can't believe it was a .99 cent a pound ham.  
Before
That Looks Great !!

Seems everyone that tries this agrees it's the best-----And sooooo Easy & Cheap!!

Thanks for letting me know how you liked it.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky