• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dilled Salmon Steaks

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Sockeye salmon steaks were put on the counter and I was told I was making dinner. She Who Must Be Obeyed must be obeyed.

I started by cutting the bones off the narrow sides of the steak with a very sharp paring knife.

I cut the bones off with a pair of shears and then carefully removed the skin from one of the thin pieces by running a sharp knife between the skin and meat.

I curled the skinned thin piece in and then wrapped the other around it.

I tied butcher string around the steak to hold the nice shape.

I put the steak in a 210 F pellet smoker and smoked for 40 minutes. I turned and smoked to an internal temperature of 140 F, about 30 minutes more.

While the fish was cooking, I made a compound butter by mixing 20 ml (4 teaspoons) of butter with 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) chopped dill weed, one clove minced garlic, and 5 ml (1 teaspoon) lemon juice.

I made the butter into discs and put them in the fridge.

When the salmon was at 140 F, I brought it inside and used a pair of cleaned needle nose pliers to grasp the spinal bone. I wiggled it a couple of times an pulled and the rest of the bones come out with it.

I put the compound butter discs on the salmon steaks and put them back in the smoker for a couple of minutes to get the butter soft.

I cut the strings off and served.

Here is the finished product.

We served it with grilled potatoes and coleslaw.

She Must Be Obeyed was pleased and all was well with the world.

Disco

Last edited:

WaterinHoleBrew

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
That is one tasty lookin meal my friend, very nice! I like the way you shaped them, never thought of doing that! Great thread... Easy to see why SWMBO liked the meal!

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Joined Jul 3, 2017
Very nice meal. I like the compound butter you did too.. I saw the salmon rolled like that in a tv show one day. Nice even package.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
That is one tasty lookin meal my friend, very nice! I like the way you shaped them, never thought of doing that! Great thread... Easy to see why SWMBO liked the meal!
I find salmon steaks are too hard to eat if I don't do this prep. The thin parts overcook and the bones won't come out of them then.

Thanks for looking!

Disco

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Very nice meal. I like the compound butter you did too.. I saw the salmon rolled like that in a tv show one day. Nice even package.
Thanks! Butter and salmon just go together.

griz400

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 27, 2016
Lol disco ... you know you are one the top contributors around here ... I almost blushed when I see you are one of my followers ........... I am impressed that you like some of my stuff though...

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Lol disco ... you know you are one the top contributors around here ... I almost blushed when I see you are one of my followers ........... I am impressed that you like some of my stuff though...
Top contributor? Har! I am just an old fat guy who likes food. As for your posts, if what you make isn't good Q, I don't know what is!

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Joined Jul 3, 2017
I thought so. I like that stuff. I use it for cooking sometimes too.. I think it has alot of salt in it though.

idahopz

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 9, 2015
That dinner looks great Disco, and I really like how you used the butter

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
Wow great looking meal Disco. Very nice. Going to have to try that .

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
SPEECHLESS !!! You've taken salmon to new heights....

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.