Dilled Salmon Steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Sockeye salmon steaks were put on the counter and I was told I was making dinner. She Who Must Be Obeyed must be obeyed.

I started by cutting the bones off the narrow sides of the steak with a very sharp paring knife.

index.php

I cut the bones off with a pair of shears and then carefully removed the skin from one of the thin pieces by running a sharp knife between the skin and meat.

index.php

index.php

I curled the skinned thin piece in and then wrapped the other around it.
index.php

I tied butcher string around the steak to hold the nice shape.
index.php

I put the steak in a 210 F pellet smoker and smoked for 40 minutes. I turned and smoked to an internal temperature of 140 F, about 30 minutes more.
index.php

index.php

While the fish was cooking, I made a compound butter by mixing 20 ml (4 teaspoons) of butter with 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) chopped dill weed, one clove minced garlic, and 5 ml (1 teaspoon) lemon juice.

I made the butter into discs and put them in the fridge.
index.php

index.php

When the salmon was at 140 F, I brought it inside and used a pair of cleaned needle nose pliers to grasp the spinal bone. I wiggled it a couple of times an pulled and the rest of the bones come out with it.

index.php

index.php

I put the compound butter discs on the salmon steaks and put them back in the smoker for a couple of minutes to get the butter soft.
index.php

index.php

I cut the strings off and served.
index.php

Here is the finished product.
index.php

We served it with grilled potatoes and coleslaw.

index.php

She Must Be Obeyed was pleased and all was well with the world.

Disco

Last edited:
That is one tasty lookin meal my friend, very nice! I like the way you shaped them, never thought of doing that! Great thread... Easy to see why SWMBO liked the meal!

That is one tasty lookin meal my friend, very nice! I like the way you shaped them, never thought of doing that! Great thread... Easy to see why SWMBO liked the meal!
I find salmon steaks are too hard to eat if I don't do this prep. The thin parts overcook and the bones won't come out of them then.

Thanks for looking!

Disco

Lol disco ... you know you are one the top contributors around here ... I almost blushed when I see you are one of my followers ........... I am impressed that you like some of my stuff though...

Lol disco ... you know you are one the top contributors around here ... I almost blushed when I see you are one of my followers ........... I am impressed that you like some of my stuff though...
Top contributor? Har! I am just an old fat guy who likes food. As for your posts, if what you make isn't good Q, I don't know what is!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky