Decided on the old country Pecos smoker from Academy. Now what!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The top one that goes over the smoke chamber. I hope it also fits over the firebox as well. I was hoping to grill over the firebox. It only came with one grate. I'm in Wilsonville Alabama.
Oh nice! ROLL TIDE! Have you tried any local sheet metal or fabrication companies?

I have had my Pecos for just about a year and I absolutely love it. I have done several Cooks on it and I have it figured out just take your time you will learn it. I usually start with a good bed of charcoal and then add in a couple sticks, most of the time it will take an hour or just over an hour to get to the temp I'm looking for it will hold Rock Steady between 250 and 280. I always clean out my ass after I'm done using it and remove any of the drippings off the bottom with a putty knife. I'm in North Carolina but I love the taste of Texas BBQ I tend to lean towards Texas when I do my smokes I'm not really big on the vinegar flavor in North Carolina. Best of luck.

I have had my Pecos for just about a year and I absolutely love it. I have done several Cooks on it and I have it figured out just take your time you will learn it. I usually start with a good bed of charcoal and then add in a couple sticks, most of the time it will take an hour or just over an hour to get to the temp I'm looking for it will hold Rock Steady between 250 and 280. I always clean out my ass after I'm done using it and remove any of the drippings off the bottom with a putty knife. I'm in North Carolina but I love the taste of Texas BBQ I tend to lean towards Texas when I do my smokes I'm not really big on the vinegar flavor in North Carolina. Best of luck.
That's good to hear man. I've got about 3-4 cooks in on mine and I think I'm figuring it out. Not there yet but I'm at the point if testing different size splits. I went from about 12" to about 8 or 9ish inch splits. It seems to be the thinner splits do better because when I throw on a pretty hefty one about 4" it seems to just be black(wood) and not burn through if that makes sense. Like a rock....or is this normal? Haha

I get my bags of wood from Academy Sports and I guess you could say mine are on the smaller side. I'd like using cherry and pecan mostly. I would love to find a place locally where I can buy buy a pickup truck bed full. You can also try to lay the next split on top of the Firebox it will help get it dry and it will light really fast when you put it in the fire.

I hear ya! I’m in NC too.. love my NC style bbq but I’ve had it so much I really do enjoy smoking the Texas stuff routinely. Loving the Pecos ALOT! This week I actually picked up six 1/4” steel plates from a local steel shop to use as tuning plates. Can’t wait to try them out over my vacation next week!

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
I have a pecos as well. I built a convection plate for mine & temps did good it was just too restrictive. I'm testing out a new idea of temperature control that is based off the LSG design. Mine is currently a prototype so it doesn't look good but it works good. I'm going to play with the size of the plate before I fab up one that looks nicer....

Attachments

• 20200228_144410.jpg
    20200228_144410.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200228_144618.jpg
    20200228_144618.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200228_144553.jpg
    20200228_144553.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Kevin Haynes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky